Jinxed myself - Service woes. - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Jinxed myself - Service woes.

Soon after I reported a near perfect report on my 2019 I-Pace @ 15k miles, I ran into a real issue.

While driving on Oct 24th, at 50% SOC, the "Traction Battery Fault, OK to drive carefully"? popped up, then the blue Power Limit Line appeared, and derated the drive to about 75% then all the way down to 10%. Not enough power to maintain highway speed. The Green Regen Limit line also appeared. After letting the car cool for several minutes, it went back to normal, but after awhile the Limit Lines appeared again. I had to let it cool 3 times to get home.

I limped the car home, then limped it to the dealer, Newport Beach Jaguar on Oct 25th. I told them not to wash it. I only hand wash it. After more than a week, they called me and asked what was wrong with the car. I explained it for a third time. They asked if they could take the car for an extended drive. I said specifically: "It's light colored leather, only people with clean clothes are to drive it." And two people told me that would be case.

They could not identify the problem, so I picked up the car with about 106 added miles on it. So the real problem is they cannot troubleshoot major drivetrain issues since apparently the ECM does not store History when a fault occurs. Oh well.

But when I picked up the car on Nov 7th, the right side HOV sticker was not there, it was now stuck on back of the back of the car. WTF??? It had been in place for over 15,000 miles at speeds up to 128mph, multiple washings, and heavy rains. I carefully removed it from the black plastic rear piece, and put it back where it belonged. When I got home (I was in a rush), I noticed the passenger seat had grease stains as did the headrest. These cleaned up OK. But I noticed I had my first paint chips. Only two about 1mm in diameter, but since the base is black, they are easy to see. Looks like perhaps somebody was wearing a watch while wiping down the car.

I would guess they had to buff the right rear panel and removed the sticker to do that. And my instruction not to wash the car was ignored. The paint chip was new since I did a walk around when dropped it off, and I detailed it the day before. It has only those two defects in the paint, the Jaguar paint is better than average.

Well, the car seems to run fine, but that was not my typical service experience with premium cars. And the lack of History or powertrain code reading is not optimal. I have a hunch the problem will reoccur. At least it didn't happen in the middle of the Mojave Desert, but it has shaken my faith a little. While I've heard far worse stories, none of them IMO are acceptable behaviour.

Yes, minor sniveling, but I don't like being ignored, and I don't like my cars mishandled. If somebody is going stain or scratch up my car, I want that somebody to be me.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 11-08-2019 at 01:07 PM.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 01:37 PM

Wow that is not ok. I ask for similar treatment of all my cars. If a dealer ignores my simple requests that makes me VERY concerned about their actual work and attention to detail. One BMW dealer washed my car after I asked them not too and managed to break off the driver side mirror.
McRat likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 02:03 PM

That's awful. Keep us posted if the fault returns. Also as a fellow "Light Oyster" interior owner, I can attest to getting my car with blemish/dirt after getting serviced or washed(!).
McRat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 04:29 PM

Hmmm. Sounds fishier than an electric eel.

OBD2 would have had fault code(s) and freeze frame data up until somebody clears fault codes, unless those codes clear themselves. Some faults clear after 4 starts and the condition does not actually happen again. This may have happened if whatever caused the problem didn't occur after your 3 stops + home stop for cooling and restarts.

The wording of the alarm, though, seems like it would have not been a self-clearing transient fault.

This is why I like to get vehicles to a repair shop (or my own code reading capability) before 4 stop/starts and get the faults recorded.
McRat likes this.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 05:56 PM

Why do you use Newport for service?
Isn't Jaguar Anaheim closer to you?
McRat likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
Hmmm. Sounds fishier than an electric eel.
No kidding. The cosmetic issue is annoying, as is the fact that the service tech borrowed the sticker for his commute for a few days. But the real worry is that fault and the repeated weird appearance of the limit lines and the derating. I think we have a spurious battery management problem .. there's a bug in there somewhere that raises its ugly head either randomly or under rare, specific and unusual, circumstances that we (and they) don't yet understand.
McRat likes this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS702 View Post
Why do you use Newport for service?
Isn't Jaguar Anaheim closer to you?
Newport is where I bought it, and they said they could start on it quickly. Which apparently wasn't the case.
Yes, I will use Anaheim in the future.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-11-2019, 01:35 PM

Newport Beach, the scam capital of the world. I used to work at the peninsula parking lot by the pier.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 12:45 AM

Service in my experience always causes undo wear and tear. Sorry for your trouble.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-12-2019, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Update:

Sad to say I guessed correctly and NB JLR did not. The problem came back in 150 miles, but this time, I could not move the car forward or backwards. Two errors, same as before, but this time I took pics:

OK to drive with caution
Restricted performance

&
OK to drive with caution
Traction battery fault detected

I was stuck in the middle of the parking lot on a slope. Too heavy to push back into the parking stall.
I turned it on and off, played with everything I could, no love. Would not move except by gravity rolling.

I pressed the Jaguar Assistance Button - This is on the ceiling to the left of center under a rectangular cover. You hold the button down until it flashes. Wait and Jaguar will call you.
They asked what I needed, and I said a tow. They let me choose Anaheim JLR which was closer than NB anyways.
While I was waiting for the tow, I went out to try and straighten the car so they could load it.

NOW it starts. DOH!! So I line it up so it can be loaded on a flatbed. Then I raise the suspension to the maximum. Within 10 minutes, the tow truck comes, right on the estimated time.
I asked if I could drive it up the flat bed. Like usual, he said no. After I explained he might get it stuck if the error repeats, he finally allowed me to do it.

So it's on it's way to Anaheim, AND it's running. Arrgghh... I hope they can figure it out this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3987.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	2829   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3988.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	2831  

Last edited by McRat; 11-12-2019 at 08:39 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page