Record month for I-Pace sales - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

Record month for I-Pace sales

October 2019 was a record month for I-Pace sales.
306 sold compared to 160 in September.
Previous high was in April 2019 at 237 units

Lease specials and end of year discounts were the catalysts.
As im hunting for an I-Pace ive noticed the dealers moved many of the units I was looking at in California

Source:
http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...jaguar-i-pace/
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 10:49 AM

Good news, but the number is still alarmingly low... don't really understand why no one's buying i-pace, such a great car thou. Maybe the next update that brings 8% increase in range would drive more sales?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:03 PM

Makes sense. I was able to get MY19 for $15k off MSRP. 7k Jag cash and 8k dealer mark down. After the tax rebate I'll have paid $66.5k. Crazy deal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by riochangy View Post
Good news, but the number is still alarmingly low... don't really understand why no one's buying i-pace, such a great car thou. Maybe the next update that brings 8% increase in range would drive more sales?
I think people are hesitant with the brand. When they think of EVs, it's not Jag
The dealers are fairly ignorant about the car too.
I know they don't get much commission on the I-Pace, but they really dont push it
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 01:26 PM

People taking advantage 2019 stock. I couldn't find the color I wanted in a 2019 so bought a 2020. Still got about 10K off the canadian build price / 7K of the MRSP at the dealership which had lower price than jaguar canada website. I rarely see an I-pace in the greater Toronto area. Also haven't seen any Etrons. Agree that it's a great car in the 10 days I've had it. I think most people looking to specifically buy the brand don't want an electric car. Most people I've talked too don't know Jag has an electric car. Teslas are everywhere particularly in Oakville. I get asked by people why not a Tesla. The I-Pace was less than the S or X. It has a nicer interior, better handling, and I prefer the shape to the Tesla. Tesla charging infrastructure and battery tech probably better. I wasn't interested in the full self driving thing, big screen. 0-100 km/h also didn't matter - does anyone really care that you can do < 4 secs vs < 5 secs 0-100kph?

The battery range may be an issue for some given the state of battery infrastructure currently in Ontario- should improve. >99% of my driving is <40km. I've also found enough free charging locally - thanks Petrocan / Ikea / Toronto Premium outlets....and Flo and Chargepoint seem to have a fair number of DCFC in the greater Toronto area if needed.

Also I read that if I crash a Tesla the turnaround repair time is a big issue. I believe Tesla is trying to address this. A buddy needed his model S battery replaced - 6 months to get it. They did give him an X as a loaner though.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtquan View Post
I get asked by people why not a Tesla. The I-Pace was less than the S or X. It has a nicer interior, better handling, and I prefer the shape to the Tesla.
Not to mention Carplay, cross-traffic warnings, HUD, 360 degree camera view, and gesture tailgate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtquan View Post
Also I read that if I crash a Tesla the turnaround repair time is a big issue. I believe Tesla is trying to address this. A buddy needed his model S battery replaced - 6 months to get it. They did give him an X as a loaner though.
That's the main reason I switched from driving Teslas for 6 years to the i-Pace. I didn't want to risk getting rear ended and having to wait 6 months for parts to fix the damage.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:04 PM

While the uptick in monthly sales is encouraging, and sales of the I-Pace don't warrant any "bust" conversation, the press loves to create that impression.

People who WANT a Jag typically DON'T WANT an EV.

People who WANT an EV aren't thinking Jag, and unwilling to put their faith in new technology from a brand who's reputation for reliability is subpar.
Awareness is really Problem #1. 7 out of 10 people who ask me about the car didn't even know Jag made an EV.
Dealer training/knowledge/incentive is Problem #2, although after a year on the market (in U.S. anyway) this should be improving.

Misinformation about lack of charging networks, home charging costs, fire risk, range anxiety - all overblown and hurting all non-Tesla EVs.
Let's not forget this is a pricey, luxury vehicle... never intended to be the 3-series BMW of the 80s and 90s. (that's the Model 3)
Mercedes and Audi played to their existing audience with boring, safe (design-wise), and underwhelmingly non-EV-ish EVs. Their EV sales lag, too.

Oh, and let's not forget JLR's near complete lack of MARKETING. ???
Let's just accept the I-Pace for what it is: a daring, beautiful and groundbreaking EV, surprisingly from a minority luxury player who managed to beat its rivals to market but neither overcame its speckled reputation nor took advantage of the deluge of international awards (60+) bestowed upon it in its first year on market.

When the I-Pace first came out, it touted a $69k starting price as nearly HALF the price of the Model X P100D, now they are much, much closer in price (especially the FE or HSE, which can reach mid 90s out the door - thank God for the Federal Rebate!)
LauderdaleFE likes this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-07-2019, 11:30 PM

The glitchy software makes it hard for me to enthusiastically recommend I-Pace. Hopefully with the update there will be more praise for the digital functionality.
Still going to be a long adoption curve for all EVs.
Dantrium likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 12:01 AM

My theory is that it's the DEALERS who are in the way of sales. They don't like EV's. They get FAR less revenue from them. You buy any other model of Jag, and it's in the shop 3 times a year. If you go to a dealer and ask to buy an I-Pace, they'll happily sell you one. But, they know nothing about them. And, if you just go in and say "what kind of cars do you have - I'll bet that (in America) they don't even bother trying to sell you on one.
epirali likes this.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-08-2019, 10:06 AM

Biggest reason for uptick were all the rebates and discounts on 2019 models, as stated earlier in this thread. I was also one of the October purchases of the crazy discounts due to lackluster sales. I am loving the car and want enough others to purchase to keep Jag moving forward, but not too many as I like having a car no one knows what it is, yes poor marketing on Jaguar's part for sure.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page