Is it just me that hates the front windshield view? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-31-2019, 04:56 PM Thread Starter

Is it just me that hates the front windshield view?

One of my biggest dislikes is with the glare and reflection off the dash, I can only drive the car comfortably wearing polarized glasses. Otherwise it is like I am looking through a picture of my dash in both hazy and sunny days. I've never had a car that presents such a distracting view of what is in front of me.

I see little about this in the forums, and am not sure why this is just my number one gripe (although I support most of the other gripes as well).

I want so much to like this car (coming from a trouble free and pleasure to drive BMW X3), but am considering putting it back up for sale as it just is not ready for prime-time.

Just me??
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-31-2019, 05:10 PM

I have found parts of the dash and center console to have highly reflective surfaces (LCD displays, panel above the glove box, and silver polished areas). The can be quite annoying when the sun and car are at just the "wrong" angle. Fortunately this is a rare occasion. However, I don't have a problem while looking through the windshield. The only things I see there are the outside world and the HUD.

Maybe it depends on height of ones eyeballs in the car and thus the angle of seeing anything reflecting onto the windshield. You do have to sit comfortably and the height of your eyeballs won't vary from there. That would influence your experience compared to others with a different viewing angle to the windshield.

Did you get the dashboard with the area of seat color leather on it? I don't so I can't vouch for how that reflects if it isn't black.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-31-2019, 05:57 PM

I do have to agree with lair12 that this small but important detail was overlooked (no pun intended) and can be annoying, especially at dusk and dawn. I had a much bigger issue, the wavy wires in the heated windshield creating 'starry' effects at night so much that visibility was threatened, so once that got solved (after 7 months and a new car), the occasional glare/reflection of the dash in the windshield paled in comparison (pun intended). It is odd how JLR missed this... I would have expected such an oversight from Tesla, newer to manufacturing cars, not JLR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-31-2019, 09:24 PM

What about the lightest tint for the windshield?
Especially if its ceramic, with those benefits.

Would that make a difference?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Unread 10-31-2019, 10:13 PM

I bought a black interior on purpose because reflections annoy me, but I find the Jaguar's reflections the same as any other black interior car. Not much at all.

So what color is your interior? Full leather interior or partial?

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Unread 11-01-2019, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
I bought a black interior on purpose because reflections annoy me, but I find the Jaguar's reflections the same as any other black interior car. Not much at all.

So what color is your interior? Full leather interior or partial?
that's the key question; i have black interior and not experienced this .. though i'm having a hard time remembering, not having driven my i-Pace for six weeks
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Unread 11-01-2019, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
that's the key question; i have black interior and not experienced this .. though i'm having a hard time remembering, not having driven my i-Pace for six weeks
Unless they can get it to you soon, I'd start the lemon process. You can always buy a new replacement for less and come out ahead financially. I think they're dragging they're feet because you're not putting their feet to the fire.

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Unread 11-01-2019, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Black leather and black dash. Loaded HSE
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Unread 11-01-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lair12 View Post
Black leather and black dash. Loaded HSE
Try a low-sheen leather treatment, like https://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys.../dp/B00FALW0WA

Or dust the dash.

Or make sure the interior of the window is nice and clean.

post #10 of 22 (permalink) Unread 11-02-2019, 02:34 AM

I fully agree, Lair12. I too find this MOST annoying. I've never experienced anything like this in any other car I've owned. I've had a bit of reflected glare in past cars, but nothing like the I Pace. Still, I truly like this car in most respects.