1687 miles and all good, but (battery) clouds on the horizon? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Dantrium
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 4
1687 miles and all good, but (battery) clouds on the horizon?

As someone who regularly read these forums while waiting for my car, I generally left both excited, and worried. As has been pointed out many times, people are more likely to rant than rave, so it is to be expected.

With that, my latest update -- I've never been more happy with my car. It's all their - performance, looks, utility. One of my friends was so impressed that he just bought one too.

OK, with that out of the way, I have noticed a disturbing trend. Until this weekend, the car always fully charged to 282 miles @ 100%. Yesterday it charged to 245 miles @ 100%. After a 150 mile trip yesterday, I charged last night to 228 miles @ 100%. I've seen a few posts noting this trend.....not sure this is a good fact and would welcome thoughts. I generally allow the battery to drop below 25% before charging; however, I did do a top-off last week (battery at 79%, charged to 100%) in anticipation of a longer trip.

As for other nits:
1) I experienced a near brake lock-up in a traffic situation last week. On the highway a car well in front of me inexplicably began slowing down, causing the car in between us to slam on his brakes. I began to pass when the collision detection took over, nearly locking. I was convinced the car behind me would hit us, as the brake was too much for the situation - fortunately we all avoided an accident.

2) The mileage estimator is reliably poor. I would estimate at best I get 80% of what is predicted. I drive in Comfort mode and reasonable conservative (I get all greens on the Jaguar EV stats).

2020 Photon Red & black trim HSE / Carbon fiber everywhere / Oyster leather sport seats & interior / Ebony morzine headlining / 20” 5068 / leather heated sports steering wheel
myipace is offline  
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by myipace View Post
Until this weekend, the car always fully charged to 282 miles @ 100%. Yesterday it charged to 245 miles @ 100%. After a 150 mile trip yesterday, I charged last night to 228 miles @ 100%. I've seen a few posts noting this trend.....not sure this is a good fact and would welcome thoughts. I generally allow the battery to drop below 25% before charging; however, I did do a top-off last week (battery at 79%, charged to 100%) in anticipation of a longer trip.

2) The mileage estimator is reliably poor. I would estimate at best I get 80% of what is predicted. I drive in Comfort mode and reasonable conservative (I get all greens on the Jaguar EV stats).
You car has never 'charged to 282 miles'. That is your distance to empty estimate, which every car has had for the past umpteen years. The I-Pace uses a 'smart' algorithm to learn your driving style/conditions and updates this distance to empty prediction based on those factors. Outside temp & speed play a big role in that prediction, but other things play a role too. It appears the factory default is now 282 miles and it will adjust down from there. Your fuel efficiency around town, with average lower speeds will be much higher than a longer trip at highway speeds and those efficiency averages will be reflected in your estimated distance to empty gauge.

For normal around town driving, none of it really matters. But if you are going on a trip which will challenge the max capacity of your car, I would encourage you to pay more attention to your state of charge (your real fuel gauge) and your current trip fuel consumption versus the car's distance to empty prediction. Over time you will understand what your average consumption is under a given set of conditions and be able to estimate your own distance to empty, which will very likely be more accurate than what the car is guessing it will be.
epirali and ryzvy like this.
Dantrium is online now  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 05:17 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Monte Sereno, CA
Posts: 36
I agree with Dantrium. Much more useful than the GOM is the SOC indicator. For my driving style, I consistently get very close to 2 mi of range per 1% of charge (200 mi total range). The GOM always tells me I'll get 230 mi out of 100% charge for about the first 50% of the battery, then gradually declines to below 2 mi per 1% as the battery gets low. I think you will get a more accurate readout of range if you find your own average mi/% metric for your typical driving style and use that.
eJeff is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator
 
sciencegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Palo Alto
Posts: 1,135
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
You car has never 'charged to 282 miles'. That is your distance to empty estimate, which every car has had for the past umpteen years. The I-Pace uses a 'smart' algorithm to learn your driving style/conditions and updates this distance to empty prediction based on those factors. Outside temp & speed play a big role in that prediction, but other things play a role too. It appears the factory default is now 282 miles and it will adjust down from there. Your fuel efficiency around town, with average lower speeds will be much higher than a longer trip at highway speeds and those efficiency averages will be reflected in your estimated distance to empty gauge.

For normal around town driving, none of it really matters. But if you are going on a trip which will challenge the max capacity of your car, I would encourage you to pay more attention to your state of charge (your real fuel gauge) and your current trip fuel consumption versus the car's distance to empty prediction. Over time you will understand what your average consumption is under a given set of conditions and be able to estimate your own distance to empty, which will very likely be more accurate than what the car is guessing it will be.
What he said
sciencegeek is online now  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-15-2019, 11:11 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Posts: 23
Dantrium nailed it. This is such a common misconception for people that JLR and other brands have to do better explaining the GoM to their own sales people and new I-Pace owners. There's no reason to be anxious about the GoM. There's no cause for concern. It's working per design. Focus on SoC and consumption for what kind of driving you're doing (highway, city, uphill, etc.) and then you'll get used to how to predict what the car can do in whatever situation you're going into. You'll figure it out with experience. On long trips, you have to do more planning ahead than an ICE car because the charging options are fewer and ample margin is necessary to deal with things not going as expected.


I find nit #1 troubling too. So far, that collision detection system has made me feel less safe due to unexpected and unhelpful steering and breaking inputs. After its reactions I'm left wondering if the car is trying to help me or kill me.
juice is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 04:53 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by juice View Post
Dantrium nailed it. This is such a common misconception for people that JLR and other brands have to do better explaining the GoM to their own sales people and new I-Pace owners.
For some reason I find this issue the most annoying thing about BEVs - thinking you charge your car at x miles/hour or fill your car to x miles. Unless you have absolutely consistent consumption, which I suppose is possible if you never deviate in how you drive and the weather never changes, this notion of charging with a measure of miles/hr or filling the car to a distance is insanely illogical.

I do wish the fuel gauge measured in capacity versus SOC or gave the option to switch back and forth between the two. It seems it would be more useful to know that the battery is currently at x kW vs x% charge.

The only thing I have ever used the distance to empty gauge (DTEG/GoM) for, in an ICE or BEV, is to decide if I should stop and fill now or should I go to the next exit...of course with the BEV that option is rarely there, so it was an even less useful tool for me.
Dantrium is online now  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:26 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 775
I have to say the Bolt has the best answer. In advanced mode it shows a clear SOC percent on left, with three numbers. The middle number is the current range guess, top number is range if you drove more efficiently and bottom one is if you drive more aggressively. So for example you would see 150-170-190. This gives you more information about possible range. Then next to that is a bar that shows as you drive in which direction from center guess your driving is currently leaning towards. For example if you drive gently a green bar will start extending towards the 190 showing you are doing better than guess range. If you drive harder an orange bar will start dropping towards 150 showing your range is less. And over a few minutes this adjustment folds into the range numbers.

It is so much better than anything else I’ve seen in any other EV I’ve owned. You can see it in the video below, mute the sound!

epirali is online now  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
I have to say the Bolt has the best answer. In advanced mode it shows a clear SOC percent on left, with three numbers. The middle number is the current range guess, top number is range if you drove more efficiently and bottom one is if you drive more aggressively. So for example you would see 150-170-190. This gives you more information about possible range. Then next to that is a bar that shows as you drive in which direction from center guess your driving is currently leaning towards. For example if you drive gently a green bar will start extending towards the 190 showing you are doing better than guess range. If you drive harder an orange bar will start dropping towards 150 showing your range is less. And over a few minutes this adjustment folds into the range numbers.

It is so much better than anything else I’ve seen in any other EV I’ve owned. You can see it in the video below, mute the sound!

Sounds great!
Dantrium is online now  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome