New I-Pace coming from Tesla Model S - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

New I-Pace coming from Tesla Model S

I traded in my 2016 Model S 90D (refreshed fascia and AP1) for a 2019 HSE Corris Grey, 20 inch gloss black wheels, Mars red interior.

Observations to assist others as this forum is invaluable - I loved the Tesla but wanted the electric crossover and smaller size vehicle. I test drove the M3P and LR but felt the vehicle was a significant downgrade compared the Model S. It was fast 0-60 but gave me no luxury or status feel. I see Model 3s everywhere and quickly are becoming as common as a Honda Civic or Accord. The price of the I-Pace with dealer incentives and the $7500 federal tax rebate made this vehicle close to the M3P sealing the deal. I have to say it was a significant challenge to go against the Tesla PR machine and user forums which consistently praise everything Tesla.

I have had the vehicle for 4 weeks with the following observations:
- The vehicle is marvelous. Has not had a single issue.
- I only charge at home and never hypermile. I have only had to charge three times in 4 weeks. Using my Tesla Home Charger with the TeslaTap adapter - works perfectly. I typically charge when the battery is less than 50% and have a full charge in the morning.
- Range and power consumption is identical the 90D. Over the life of the Tesla (which I tend to enjoy/drive hard) had a power consumption of 372 Wh/mi. The Jaguar remote app states I am getting 2.7-3 mi/kWh which translates to 1000/2.7 = 370 Wh/mi. Without paying attention to the numbers, it feels like my range and charging needs are the same.
- I have received two over the air software updates in the last month - Car started with 18D. Received 19A and now 19B.
- The complaints of camera issues/lagginess are really not an issue to me. Maybe they have been fixed.
- Love the option of Apple CarPlay
- Love the Meridian sound system compared to the Premium sound system I paid for on the Tesla. Marked improvement in bass and midrange. Far more immersive. I could never turn the sound high on the Tesla due to the excessive treble grating on my ears.
- Love the HUD. Cannot state how awesome this is to have.
- Love the cooled seats. Really work well.
- Love the premium/luxury interior. The car looks superb with the adjustable interior lighting.
- Love having actual blindspot detection in the mirrors. AP1 did not have the cameras to show vehicles in your blindspot. The radar notification was tough to recognize.
- Love the size of the vehicle compared to the Model S. More maneuverable especially when parking.
- Love the 360 degree camera
- 0-60, one pedal driving, driving dynamics/handling all slightly different but in general similar feel to the Tesla

What I miss from the Tesla
- Not much
- Autopilot worked well on the highway but was less reliable in town on busy roads. I find steering assist/active cruise control quite similar on the I-Pace in town/traffic.
- I do miss the graphic demonstrating the active traffic the car visualizes. Hopefully Jaguar will add this to a future software update.
- I cannot think of any other significant tech I miss

I am happy to answer any other questions. Again, I loved the Tesla but was ready for something different. I value performance, luxury, tech features, and an awesome sound system. For those considering an electric vehicle and can get past the Tesla media frenzy, the I-Pace truly is an exceptional vehicle.
McRat, bruintoo, Time2Roll and 6 others like this.
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 05:42 PM

Welcome NoRegerts (typo?) and thanks for the report. I only test drove the S so its nice to get a full comparison from a longtime owner. The S was never for me (not a sedan owner), but I became interested in the X, until it came out late, overpriced, and with the suspension of a short school bus (it has garnered somewhat of a reputation as a mom-mobile). Plus I simply could not do the gull-wing doors.
Like many on this forum, I love what Musk and Tesla have done for the industry, just aren't as fanatical about *any* brand as most Tesla owners seem to be, to the point of overlooking major shortcomings. Tesla is definitely more software and customer focused than JLR, so we are all hoping JLR turns the corner on more and better software updates. Curious to hear your thoughts on the sales process and dealer knowledge... I visited 3 different Tesla showrooms over the years and was blown away by the staff knowledge - exact opposite with JLR and I-Pace.
What part of the country are you in? Even here in SW Florida the M3 is becoming commonplace but I hear in CA its just everywhere. I happen to appreciate the fact I've only seen 3 I-Paces in the wild after 9 months and 10,000 miles.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 05:48 PM

Thanks for sharing your comparison here, and nice rundown!

I'm in agreement with your reactions, even if I have such a different taste in colors.

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:01 AM

The Model 3 doesnít have much of a luxury feel. One thing keeping me away from Jaguar is the fear of massive depreciation. I havenít investigated the lease rates.

Iím glad you like your new Jaguar. Itís such a beautiful car!
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 09:09 AM

We've already got an I Pace, but we're actively shopping to add another. I'm also cross shopping a Tesla S, so your post is timely for me.

How are the Tesla S seats compared to the I Pace? Also, I feel like the Tesla interior looks quite generic/mid range compared to the polished look of the Jaguar...do you agree? Finally, the nearest Telsa service center is 2 hours from my home...how big of a problem would you anticipate this to be?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegerts View Post
I traded in my 2016 Model S 90D (refreshed fascia and AP1) for a 2019 HSE Corris Grey, 20 inch gloss black wheels, Mars red interior.

Observations to assist others as this forum is invaluable - I loved the Tesla but wanted the electric crossover and smaller size vehicle. I test drove the M3P and LR but felt the vehicle was a significant downgrade compared the Model S. It was fast 0-60 but gave me no luxury or status feel. I see Model 3s everywhere and quickly are becoming as common as a Honda Civic or Accord. The price of the I-Pace with dealer incentives and the $7500 federal tax rebate made this vehicle close to the M3P sealing the deal. I have to say it was a significant challenge to go against the Tesla PR machine and user forums which consistently praise everything Tesla.

I have had the vehicle for 4 weeks with the following observations:
- The vehicle is marvelous. Has not had a single issue.
- I only charge at home and never hypermile. I have only had to charge three times in 4 weeks. Using my Tesla Home Charger with the TeslaTap adapter - works perfectly. I typically charge when the battery is less than 50% and have a full charge in the morning.
- Range and power consumption is identical the 90D. Over the life of the Tesla (which I tend to enjoy/drive hard) had a power consumption of 372 Wh/mi. The Jaguar remote app states I am getting 2.7-3 mi/kWh which translates to 1000/2.7 = 370 Wh/mi. Without paying attention to the numbers, it feels like my range and charging needs are the same.
- I have received two over the air software updates in the last month - Car started with 18D. Received 19A and now 19B.
- The complaints of camera issues/lagginess are really not an issue to me. Maybe they have been fixed.
- Love the option of Apple CarPlay
- Love the Meridian sound system compared to the Premium sound system I paid for on the Tesla. Marked improvement in bass and midrange. Far more immersive. I could never turn the sound high on the Tesla due to the excessive treble grating on my ears.
- Love the HUD. Cannot state how awesome this is to have.
- Love the cooled seats. Really work well.
- Love the premium/luxury interior. The car looks superb with the adjustable interior lighting.
- Love having actual blindspot detection in the mirrors. AP1 did not have the cameras to show vehicles in your blindspot. The radar notification was tough to recognize.
- Love the size of the vehicle compared to the Model S. More maneuverable especially when parking.
- Love the 360 degree camera
- 0-60, one pedal driving, driving dynamics/handling all slightly different but in general similar feel to the Tesla

What I miss from the Tesla
- Not much
- Autopilot worked well on the highway but was less reliable in town on busy roads. I find steering assist/active cruise control quite similar on the I-Pace in town/traffic.
- I do miss the graphic demonstrating the active traffic the car visualizes. Hopefully Jaguar will add this to a future software update.
- I cannot think of any other significant tech I miss

I am happy to answer any other questions. Again, I loved the Tesla but was ready for something different. I value performance, luxury, tech features, and an awesome sound system. For those considering an electric vehicle and can get past the Tesla media frenzy, the I-Pace truly is an exceptional vehicle.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Welcome NoRegerts (typo?) and thanks for the report. I only test drove the S so its nice to get a full comparison from a longtime owner. The S was never for me (not a sedan owner), but I became interested in the X, until it came out late, overpriced, and with the suspension of a short school bus (it has garnered somewhat of a reputation as a mom-mobile). Plus I simply could not do the gull-wing doors.
Like many on this forum, I love what Musk and Tesla have done for the industry, just aren't as fanatical about *any* brand as most Tesla owners seem to be, to the point of overlooking major shortcomings. Tesla is definitely more software and customer focused than JLR, so we are all hoping JLR turns the corner on more and better software updates. Curious to hear your thoughts on the sales process and dealer knowledge... I visited 3 different Tesla showrooms over the years and was blown away by the staff knowledge - exact opposite with JLR and I-Pace.
What part of the country are you in? Even here in SW Florida the M3 is becoming commonplace but I hear in CA its just everywhere. I happen to appreciate the fact I've only seen 3 I-Paces in the wild after 9 months and 10,000 miles.

No Typo. Play on words from the movie We're the Millers.

The sales process and dealer knowledge were excellent - seems I purchased 8-9 months after you which may have made a difference. I was not in the market for an ICE vehicle and approached the dealer interested in the I-Pace. My sales associate was knowledgeable but I certainly had extended awareness and knowledge about the vehicle researching this forum as well as the UK site. I also viewed many reviews and customer experiences via youtube. The dealer installed all updates other than SOTA prior to delivery. I asked my sales associate to look in Topix to activate the push of 19A which, thanks to this site, explained the process. When 19B was released, I texted my sales associate who immediately assisted without hesitation. No need to visit the dealer.

I am in the Southeast US. I love having a unique vehicle but would like to see the I-Pace get more respect in sales that it deserves.
dtgsrq likes this.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

I had the exact same concern when I bought the Tesla about depreciation rates but suspect it is similar among all EVs as technology advances rapidly. My Tesla Model S at 3 years - low mileage, perfect condition, without adjustment for the $7500 federal tax rebate - had a depreciation of 46% of original value from Tesla (47% with the now defunct resale value guarantee), 42% from CarMax, and 47% from JLR trade-in and vroom. KBB was not accurate for good category with range of 48%-52%.

Lease rates and 0% financing were not favorable when compared to the dealer and JLR incentives/rebates. Not allowed to combine offers. If I recall the residual value on 36 month, 10,000 mile was a measly $40,000 but a good money factor of .00035.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 01:54 PM Thread Starter

The seats in the 90D Model S are different than the Raven Model S. The current Model S seats are fine - less sporty with more cushion than the 90D. For some reason, the white interior seats seem to have more cushion than the black. I find seats subjective - what feels great to me may be different to another. Leather v Vegan is irrelevant to me other than possibly animal friendly. I assume it is cheaper for Tesla hence why they moved all synthetic. The I-Pace seats are great with a multitude of adjustments including the seat bolster which is not available on the Model S. Overall the I-Pace seats are slightly firmer/sportier with more adjustments than the Raven Model S.

As to the interior quality, the vehicles are in different leagues. The Model S has limited luxury/quality which is a significant reason I leaned to the I-Pace. I was on the fence waiting for Tesla to refresh the Model S but Elon Musk, per the Tesla service center, scrapped the stark interior as represented by electrek. https://electrek.co/2019/04/17/tesla...fresh-upgrade/ I can only assume the car interior was not going to be competitive with the Taycan, I-Pace, Mercedes, Audi, etc. Who would pay north of 85k for the Model 3 interior? I can only assume the new interior will be released within the next year with the Plaid powertrain to compete with the Taycan.
nath_h likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2019, 05:33 PM

I rented a 2018 Model S (my I-Pace was built in 2018) and drove it for 2-3 days.

While the Tesla was better than most my ICE vehicles, it was not up to par to the Jaguar's handling or suspension control. And the driving experience in urban conditions has the Jaguar far in the lead. I love driving the Jag. It's a fun car to drive.
nath_h likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRegerts View Post
I am in the Southeast US. I love having a unique vehicle but would like to see the I-Pace get more respect in sales that it deserves.

Ditto. I'm still bemused at how the I-Pace drew such international accolades yet sold so poorly, especially in the U.S.
epirali likes this.