Should I buy an iPace? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Should I buy an iPace?

Hello all, I need your help!

Here's the deal. I'm currently in a Macan Turbo, which I really enjoy, but I've been itching for an EV for a while now. I was waiting for a Taycan but less than impressed with the info released (ie.. pay a TON of money and get a car that still doesn't have great range) and went for a test drive in an iPace. I have to say I really enjoy it. VERY different experience than the Macan but just really dug it.

But I don't want to get rid of my Macan only to realize I can't make the iPace work. So here's what I'm concerned with;

I can get a charger at home and 5 out of 7 days of the week I'm running less than 40 city miles. So no problem. But twice a week I'm running somewhat longer miles, into the mountains. I live in Seattle and climb/hike.

Most of the time those two days are going between 110 and 140 miles round trip without much or any elevation gain. That seems like it won't be an issue.

But, pretty often one or both of those days is 160 to 240 miles round trip including a mountain pass (Snoqualmie or Stevens) of about 3-4k elevation gain. There is one EA station with 3 CCS chargers that is about 160 miles away if I get to my destination and backtrack to it or 110 miles away if I go there on the way out. On the way back there is minimal elevation gain but significant elevation loss.

Does this sound like a workable situation or am I going to end up being in range anxiety ****?

Just looking for some realistic info from iPace owners. There is so much varying info on range and charging out there I can't make heads or tails of it!

Thank you!
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 10:39 PM

You should be ok providing available EA DCFC.

I recently drove over 2 high passes with about 5500 feet gain,
and 150 miles distance. (see image Vail Pass)

Started trip at 100% SOC and 273 on GOM.

Arrived at charging station with 94 miles left on GOM and 40% SOC.
Average consumption was 351 watts/mile.
You can never eliminate some range anxiety, but good planning with a plan B
should reduce it.

I would also think about test drives and relationship with your local JLR dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190826_122641.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	382.0 KB
ID:	2499  

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior Clear Bra Ceramic Coat
20" Wheels Mud Flaps Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-07-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratedWasabi View Post
There is one EA station with 3 CCS chargers that is about 160 miles away if I get to my destination and backtrack to it or 110 miles away if I go there on the way out. On the way back there is minimal elevation gain but significant elevation loss.
Totally no problem. You'll want to learn how your driving style affects consumption but I think you can pretty much count on this scenario: 30%-40% left when you hit the station on the way up ... charge to 90% (30-45 min), take it easy the rest of the way and then head home without stopping at the charger ('cause it's downhill and 160 miles with 4k ft loss is no problem).

Regarding consumption: I'm a broken record but do not trust the GoM and instead go with the %age charge (State of Charge, or SoC) that you can get in the MyEV panel in the car. Also do not trust the kWh/100mile consumption figure the car gives you .. it's way off. Instead, do this:

Record starting SoC percentage; drive. At destination, record number of miles traveled and ending SoC%. Now do the following calculation:

miles_traveled / (StartSoC-EndSoc) = Predicted total range on a full charge
[remember to convert the SoCs to a fraction, i.e. 40% = 0.4)]

Don't try to be too precise without having done this for a bunch of different trips. I.e., if you calculate a 200 mile range on the basis of a single drive of 20 miles ... well that could be it but you might have had a headwind, gone up a hill, or down a hill ... so rinse lather repeat a few times until you're comfortable that you know your range given your driving style.

Main factors influencing range on flat ground:
1. Aggressiveness of driving style (acceleration / deceleration cyles draw power inefficiently from the battery)
2. Comfort or Dynamic vs Eco mode (Eco mode mitigates accel / decel cycles)
3. Maximum sustained speed (wind resistance)
4. Climate control. Resistive heating (of the cabin) worse than AC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 01:49 AM

Yep. Just charge somewhere along the way. The lower the battery when you charge, the faster it should charge.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-08-2019, 04:57 PM

Maybe ask to take that trip as part of a test drive. Go for the short hike to contemplate, a quick charge to confirm then return and close the deal.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Hello all, I need your help!

Here's the deal. I'm currently in a Macan Turbo, which I really enjoy, but I've been itching for an EV for a while now. I was waiting for a Taycan but less than impressed with the info released (ie.. pay a TON of money and get a car that still doesn't have great range) and went for a test drive in an iPace. I have to say I really enjoy it. VERY different experience than the Macan but just really dug it.

But I don't want to get rid of my Macan only to realize I can't make the iPace work. So here's what I'm concerned with;

I can get a charger at home and 5 out of 7 days of the week I'm running less than 40 city miles. So no problem. But twice a week I'm running somewhat longer miles, into the mountains. I live in Seattle and climb/hike.

Most of the time those two days are going between 110 and 140 miles round trip without much or any elevation gain. That seems like it won't be an issue.

But, pretty often one or both of those days is 160 to 240 miles round trip including a mountain pass (Snoqualmie or Stevens) of about 3-4k elevation gain. There is one EA station with 3 CCS chargers that is about 160 miles away if I get to my destination and backtrack to it or 110 miles away if I go there on the way out. On the way back there is minimal elevation gain but significant elevation loss.

Does this sound like a workable situation or am I going to end up being in range anxiety ****?

Just looking for some realistic info from iPace owners. There is so much varying info on range and charging out there I can't make heads or tails of it!

Thank you!
Owning both a Tesla Model S (a 2013 and a 2016) and a 2019 I-Pace I can tell you that I am extremely disappointed with the I-Pace. The software is very buggy, very slow, and I've had the car in the repair shop 4x already
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-09-2019, 05:53 PM

Like with everything in life, your mileage may very. The I-Pace is the best EV on the market right now. The Taycan may surpass it. I don't expect anything else will come close for a year or two.

But if range is what you really need, realize the Teslas usually don't make theirs.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:17 AM

The I-Pace isn't going to do any better from the Porsche in terms of range. Tesla is the range leader and they have their charging network. That said, I live in Portland and have taken my I-Pace all over the place this summer. My son and I mountain bike, so we've been up on Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens aplenty in the I-Pace. No problems at all with range (80 miles / 4000', and 160 miles / 2400', respectively). Same for the coast (170 miles / maybe 3000' of elevation gain, and loaded with 4 people & luggage). The only "problem" I've had was a day trip out to Maryhill (240 miles, round-trip). On paper, I could've made it depending on my willingness to gamble, but the reality was disappointing. I got nowhere near 240 miles - more like 160. Still not a problem. I was able to charge up at a Level III charging station at the Wal-Mart in Hood River (which only took an hour, while we shopped for some incidentals). I should probably state that it was like a billion degrees outside and I was driving fast - so not too surprising that my range was poor on that trip.

So I'd say you can lead an outdoors life without too many worries. Just do a little planning. You get used to it. There are charging station apps, and the nav has charging stations in it.

What else? I agree with GratedWasabi that the software is buggy and slow. Jaguar pushed an OTA update recently, which helped. I'd say it went from unacceptably buggy and slow to a little buggy and slow. Coming from Porsche (I came from a 911), I doubt you'll be disappointed. You also probably won't be impressed.

Coming from a Macan Turbo, you'll have more passenger room and similar luggage room in the I-Pace, with similar exterior dimensions. Fit & finish will be superior in the Jag. The I-Pace will be quicker, but you won't have the amazing engine, intake, and exhaust notes that are Porsche. I do miss that. And of course your TCO will go way down, between the cost of fuel and the cost of maintenance/repair. Depreciation? Who knows?
sciencegeek likes this.

Last edited by smitty; 09-10-2019 at 12:22 AM. Reason: Too much white space
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the great responses!

I have a long test drive scheduled tomorrow, going to really try it out then do the same route in my Macan.

If that puts me in a positive mindset towards it I'll look into the cost & difficulty in getting a home charger and scout out the two important charging stations for my longer drives. Then start haggling with dealers, there is a lot of surplus 2019 inventory around here.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the great responses!

I have a long test drive scheduled tomorrow, going to really try it out then do the same route in my Macan.

If that puts me in a positive mindset towards it I'll look into the cost & difficulty in getting a home charger and scout out the two important charging stations for my longer drives. Then start haggling with dealers, there is a lot of surplus 2019 inventory around here.
August was an incredibly bad month for Jaguar, they only sold 168 I Paces last month. Definitely a buyers market!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/insidee...s-new-low/amp/

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page