Should I buy an iPace? - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 04:54 PM

Yolo!

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure if anyone cares but I thought I'd update with my results, especially since I really appreciated the responses.

I've decided to stick with my Macan Turbo until 2021 when the Macan EV is rolled out and (hopefully) an updated iPace.

My thoughts on the long test drive, directly comparing to a Macan Turbo w/ the same size wheels and air suspension (my Macan also has a custom tune and is pulling higher torque numbers than an iPace, so that influenced my thoughts);

-The iPace is the best looking SUV/crossover, bar none. I think it's stunning and unique.
-The interior quality is a bit lower than the Macan but the aesthetics superior. The car I drove did *not* have the full leather upgrade, so that would probably even out quality. Seating position is superior in the Macan.
-The handling was much firmer than the Macan but less feedback. I prefer the more agile feeling of the Porsche.
-The car felt heavier (which it is) in good and bad ways. It did feel more grounded but it also just felt heavier.
-The air suspension seemed strictly inferior to that on the Macan. Even playing with Adaptive Dynamics it never hit the sweet spot that I get in the Macan.
-The software was as bad as advertised. Yikes.
-The brake feel was pretty rough. Part of that is probably just getting used to the regen.

While this seems like a lot of negatives vs the Macan, it's also comparing an $81k marked car to a $108k marked car. Plus the aesthetics & EV factor make a significant difference. If I didn't have either and was choosing between them, I think I'd end up on the Macan but ONLY because the charging is so slow on the iPace, the network in the US awful, and that software is staggeringly bad.

Here's hoping Jaguar does well enough overseas to warrant an upgraded battery in the next few years. I'd love to compare it to the Macan EV in 2 years.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GratedWasabi View Post
I'm not sure if anyone cares but I thought I'd update with my results, especially since I really appreciated the responses.

I've decided to stick with my Macan Turbo until 2021 when the Macan EV is rolled out and (hopefully) an updated iPace.

My thoughts on the long test drive, directly comparing to a Macan Turbo w/ the same size wheels and air suspension (my Macan also has a custom tune and is pulling higher torque numbers than an iPace, so that influenced my thoughts);

-The iPace is the best looking SUV/crossover, bar none. I think it's stunning and unique.
-The interior quality is a bit lower than the Macan but the aesthetics superior. The car I drove did *not* have the full leather upgrade, so that would probably even out quality. Seating position is superior in the Macan.
-The handling was much firmer than the Macan but less feedback. I prefer the more agile feeling of the Porsche.
-The car felt heavier (which it is) in good and bad ways. It did feel more grounded but it also just felt heavier.
-The air suspension seemed strictly inferior to that on the Macan. Even playing with Adaptive Dynamics it never hit the sweet spot that I get in the Macan.
-The software was as bad as advertised. Yikes.
-The brake feel was pretty rough. Part of that is probably just getting used to the regen.

While this seems like a lot of negatives vs the Macan, it's also comparing an $81k marked car to a $108k marked car. Plus the aesthetics & EV factor make a significant difference. If I didn't have either and was choosing between them, I think I'd end up on the Macan but ONLY because the charging is so slow on the iPace, the network in the US awful, and that software is staggeringly bad.

Here's hoping Jaguar does well enough overseas to warrant an upgraded battery in the next few years. I'd love to compare it to the Macan EV in 2 years.
Having traded in my fully loaded 2015 Porsche Macan Turbo for a fairly loaded 2019 $90k Jaguar I-Pace HSE, I can disagree with almost everything you've concluded. While I loved my Macan Turbo, the cost of ownership was much higher than it seems to be in the Jaguar I-Pace. I drive about 20-22k / year and used to spend $400-$450 / month on gas for my Macan Turbo vs. $80-$100 / month I spend on electric to charge up my I-Pace each night for doing the same mileage, not to mention NO $250 oil/filter changes and other maintenance I used to spend quite often on my Porsche Macan Turbo. Regarding quality & fit and finish of my Jaguar I-Pace vs. my Porsche Macan Turbo, I would have to say it's about the same if not a little better with my Jaguar I-Pace. I opted for the 22" wheels w/ carbon fiber, red sport leather seats (vented & heated), carbon fiber interior trim, the air suspension is actually better in the Jaguar I-Pace than it was in my Porsche Macan Turbo, and certainly the brake regen works quite well...I got used to that after driving the I-Pace for 5 minutes (and the brakes actually work fairly well). As far as some of the other stuff goes, well, yes, the s/w of the Jaguar I-Pace is painfully slow and requires many updates quite often to get things working the way they're supposed to.

If you're waiting for Porsche to come out with the Macan EV, it could be longer than 2021...don't count on it as they're just rolling out the Taycan "Turbo" and "Turbo S" now for later this year on 1st deliveries and then next year, perhaps they'll add a Taycan 4S and base Taycan (RWD), but don't hold your breath on new Porsche EV's until at least 2022 and beyond...that would be my guess.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 09-11-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:42 PM

And if the economy turns, a lot of EVs will be scrapped.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 06:56 PM

What kind of rack do you use to transport your mountain bikes?
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:06 PM

You will love it!
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:12 PM

They're both great cars!

I have what you have and what you are considering--2019 I-Pace and a 2017 Macan Turbo. Functionally, these cars are pretty equal. They both perform like a good sports car, but carry gear like an SUV. But as they are similar, they are very different in how they look, drive and feel. The Macan handles better, but the Jag just looks better--it's the design of the future. The Macan looks great also, what you would expect from Porsche Design.

The Porsche sounds better, of course, while the Jag is almost totally silent. Both are cool. The porsche sounds like a proper sports car, the exhaust screaming with the turbos quickly winding up the revs with almost no end in sight. The massive torque in the Jag comes on without any sound at all! Unbelievable acceleration in almost total silence! Both are thrilling in their own way. I think they are equal in the quality of the fit and finish. The Jag's software was updated when I bought it and I haven't had any problems at all. I use Apple Car Play in both cars so perhaps I'm missing some of the software grief I read about here.

I drive both and can't really choose a favorite. For a long trip in the country, I suppose I'd take the ICE Macan just because I can count on gas stations everywhere. But around town and on short trips, the Jag is our main choice. Jag dealers are defitely dealing right now--not sure why the I-Pace sales are so slow, but I can tell you, it isn't the car! I think the JLR marketing department has blown it so far.
sflgator and ryzvy like this.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 07:43 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to outbackgary
I have a 2020 I-Pace with about 1,700 kilometres after 5 weeks of owning. I also have a 2018 Macan S that I will most likely sell. Here are my thoughts.

90% of the time I spend in the car is urban and regional driving. I-Pace wins on a low-end grunt and the pleasure of regen braking. Just love the one-pedal driving. I can accelerate quickly without drawing any undue attention.

My infotainment experience has been great. The trick is getting used to the system and understanding the display programming that works. It has been reliable, The Macan, on the other hand, wins on a layout and don't need to think about it. Love the Macan wheel controls but the I-Pace is nearly there.

The Porsche interior is just so Porsche. The I-Pace is very close but the Porsche nails it from a feeling point of view.

At around 1,400 kilometres the GOM started to make sense. Up until then it consistently showed 325 kilometres after every full charge. Now it is dynamic and fairly correct based on history. I can only assume it took some time to know about my driving style linked to vehicle consumption. As a check, I divide the trip kilometres travelled by (1-charge percentage). At about 80% charge or less, it seems to give accurate results.

With the new model facelift, Macan Turbo just released, I had second thoughts (for about 10 seconds) that may be the Turbo would be more enjoyable. In Australia with reasonable options they both price up about the same. For me, it would be if I did a lot of long-distance travel. But I don't and the I-Pace wins hands down in my opinion. None the less, I'll take a good look at the Macan BEV when it's released.
sflgator likes this.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:58 PM Thread Starter

I do think it's shocking that so few iPaces sell in the US. Like I said, if I didn't already own (and still paying off) the Macan it'd be a really close call. Yet I see a ton of Macans and I've literally seen one iPace on the road.

Honestly if they update the battery and software on the iPace in the next year or two I'll probably jump over. If I'm being 100% honest I think it's a more impressive car than the Macan but not enough so to take the risk rather than waiting a year or two to see where the technology goes.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:13 PM

IMHO, both the Macan and (just about any) Tesla are such "me too" cars - just SO many of them running around! While I'm surprised and disappointed (for JLR) that the I-Pace has not sold better, I have developed some appreciation for its rarity.
sciencegeek and sflgator like this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page