Looking for some SIM card help - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Looking for some SIM card help

I have read all of the threads about SIM card problems in the car and I still have a question with which I'm hoping the group can help. I have a 2019 model currently on software version 18D. It has a SIM card in the slot, but it is unable to receive things such as traffic, weather, etc. that are supposed to be controlled through that. When I go in the connectivity settings, it says "Reading SIM" but never gets beyond that. I've tried to remove it and re-seat it. I can connect to Wi-Fi while at home, where there is a very strong signal in the garage, but the car forgets it every time I get leave and come back. Software updates is turned on but so far when I press the "check for updates" button it says there is no update available. On the display, in the upper right-hand corner there is an icon is of a G with a slash through it. I brought the car to dealer (where it is now) and they said that they can't figure out what's wrong with it. They asked me: "are you 100% sure your account is set up with at&t. All software updates are complete, but the vehicle still wasn't reading your sim card. He put a known good sim card from another customers vehicle and it worked perfectly fine. Let me know. TY". While I didn't think registration was necessary, I did go through the in control website and visit AT&T's website to try to activate data to which their answer is "VIN not found". Any ideas? Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 9.27.54 AM.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	2453  
Bobby is offline  
post #2 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 02:28 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
I have read all of the threads about SIM card problems in the car and I still have a question with which I'm hoping the group can help. I have a 2019 model currently on software version 18D. It has a SIM card in the slot, but it is unable to receive things such as traffic, weather, etc. that are supposed to be controlled through that. When I go in the connectivity settings, it says "Reading SIM" but never gets beyond that. I've tried to remove it and re-seat it. I can connect to Wi-Fi while at home, where there is a very strong signal in the garage, but the car forgets it every time I get leave and come back. Software updates is turned on but so far when I press the "check for updates" button it says there is no update available. On the display, in the upper right-hand corner there is an icon is of a G with a slash through it. I brought the car to dealer (where it is now) and they said that they can't figure out what's wrong with it. They asked me: "are you 100% sure your account is set up with at&t. All software updates are complete, but the vehicle still wasn't reading your sim card. He put a known good sim card from another customers vehicle and it worked perfectly fine. Let me know. TY". While I didn't think registration was necessary, I did go through the in control website and visit AT&T's website to try to activate data to which their answer is "VIN not found". Any ideas? Thanks!
Infotainment system version should have no impact.
When the car is first delivered, the dealer normally sets up the AT&T account with the SIM card on a 30 day trial. After that, you have to either convert the account from a trial account or try a different SIM card and provider. When you picked up the car and got the SIM initially set up, did you get an email from AT&T? The would have sent you an expiration reminder every week for a few weeks. If that didn't happen and the car is not showing when you add the VIN, I don't think the dealer set you up.
You should be able to convert the SIM and set up the account on your own via AT&T, but you might need to call into their customer service line. The AT&T store folks I dealt with didn't seem to have a clue.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
Sbingham60 is online now  
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 03:07 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Infotainment system version should have no impact.
When the car is first delivered, the dealer normally sets up the AT&T account with the SIM card on a 30 day trial. After that, you have to either convert the account from a trial account or try a different SIM card and provider. When you picked up the car and got the SIM initially set up, did you get an email from AT&T? The would have sent you an expiration reminder every week for a few weeks. If that didn't happen and the car is not showing when you add the VIN, I don't think the dealer set you up.
You should be able to convert the SIM and set up the account on your own via AT&T, but you might need to call into their customer service line. The AT&T store folks I dealt with didn't seem to have a clue.
Thanks for the quick reply. That's exactly what we're trying to figure out. Now, this is where it gets fuzzy for me. Online, "Pro Services" (see attached picture) is active, expiring 2024. By their definition (also attached) it includes connected navigation, etc. What then does signing up with AT&T do?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 12.06.32 PM.png
Views:	14
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	2455   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-09-04 at 12.05.28 PM.png
Views:	17
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	2457  
Bobby is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 04:20 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
What then does signing up with AT&T do?
Not a lot. The 'Live' apps and some nav functions (traffic updates, etc) require data, but you can use your phone as a hotspot to accomplish that. Granted, the number of times my car logged onto my wifi (home or phone hotspot) without me making it do so - usually requiring me to enter the password again, were few and far between. So having the car on it's own data plan should make that process seamless and easy.
Dantrium is online now  
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 05:19 PM
Senior Member
 
sciencegeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Palo Alto
Posts: 979
I ripped the SIM card out on the first day and never looked back. The benefits are slim, the complexities and additional cost a deal breaker for me. Cell phones can do everything now.
sciencegeek is online now  
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 06:56 PM
Senior Member
 
bruintoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: California, USA
Posts: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
I have read all of the threads about SIM card problems in the car and I still have a question with which I'm hoping the group can help. I have a 2019 model currently on software version 18D. It has a SIM card in the slot, but it is unable to receive things such as traffic, weather, etc. that are supposed to be controlled through that. When I go in the connectivity settings, it says "Reading SIM" but never gets beyond that. I've tried to remove it and re-seat it. I can connect to Wi-Fi while at home, where there is a very strong signal in the garage, but the car forgets it every time I get leave and come back. Software updates is turned on but so far when I press the "check for updates" button it says there is no update available. On the display, in the upper right-hand corner there is an icon is of a G with a slash through it. I brought the car to dealer (where it is now) and they said that they can't figure out what's wrong with it. They asked me: "are you 100% sure your account is set up with at&t. All software updates are complete, but the vehicle still wasn't reading your sim card. He put a known good sim card from another customers vehicle and it worked perfectly fine. Let me know. TY". While I didn't think registration was necessary, I did go through the in control website and visit AT&T's website to try to activate data to which their answer is "VIN not found". Any ideas? Thanks!
First of all make sure that mobile data is turned to "on" in the settings menu. If it is then you may need to reset your connectivity settings - these include the mobile data, incontrol remote service, and i believe some other telematics communications "stuff." To do this press and hold the "Optimized Jaguar Assistance" button until it starts flashing amber rapidly. It's the button closer to the driver side (not the "SOS" button). Release it and it will start flashing slowly. After a while the light will turn off, the car will download some files, and the white light will back on. Be sure to do this procedure in a location where you get good cell service.
bruintoo is online now  
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 07:53 PM
Senior Member
 
2761's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
I have read all of the threads about SIM card problems in the car and I still have a question with which I'm hoping the group can help. I have a 2019 model currently on software version 18D. It has a SIM card in the slot, but it is unable to receive things such as traffic, weather, etc. that are supposed to be controlled through that. When I go in the connectivity settings, it says "Reading SIM" but never gets beyond that. I've tried to remove it and re-seat it. I can connect to Wi-Fi while at home, where there is a very strong signal in the garage, but the car forgets it every time I get leave and come back. Software updates is turned on but so far when I press the "check for updates" button it says there is no update available. On the display, in the upper right-hand corner there is an icon is of a G with a slash through it. I brought the car to dealer (where it is now) and they said that they can't figure out what's wrong with it. They asked me: "are you 100% sure your account is set up with at&t. All software updates are complete, but the vehicle still wasn't reading your sim card. He put a known good sim card from another customers vehicle and it worked perfectly fine. Let me know. TY". While I didn't think registration was necessary, I did go through the in control website and visit AT&T's website to try to activate data to which their answer is "VIN not found". Any ideas? Thanks!
The car came with free 90 day or 3 GB AT&T data plan. It's possible the dealer didn't establish an account for you or the trial plan is so out of date that you can't reactivate it online. Try calling AT&T.

I use this service (2GB for$15) to get live traffic updates and to send destinations from Jaguar Route Planner. My phone account allows only 2GB of data per month and it was cheaper to add AT&T than to pay for extra data through Verizon. Also, I like the Jaguar navigation better than Waze or Google Maps especially because the Jaguar nav displays on the instrument panel and probably the HUD (I don't have HUD so someone else can chime in).
2761 is offline  
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
The car came with free 90 day or 3 GB AT&T data plan. It's possible the dealer didn't establish an account for you or the trial plan is so out of date that you can't reactivate it online. Try calling AT&T.

I use this service (2GB for$15) to get live traffic updates and to send destinations from Jaguar Route Planner. My phone account allows only 2GB of data per month and it was cheaper to add AT&T than to pay for extra data through Verizon. Also, I like the Jaguar navigation better than Waze or Google Maps especially because the Jaguar nav displays on the instrument panel and probably the HUD (I don't have HUD so someone else can chime in).
Thanks for your help... but my experience has been different than you describe. When I go to the AT&T site, it doesn't even recognize my VIN. I am able to send destinations via the route planner but can't see live traffic, weather, news, etc. Honestly I'd use these very little and use CarPlay most of the time, but I'd really like everything to work properly.
Bobby is offline  
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
First of all make sure that mobile data is turned to "on" in the settings menu. If it is then you may need to reset your connectivity settings - these include the mobile data, incontrol remote service, and i believe some other telematics communications "stuff." To do this press and hold the "Optimized Jaguar Assistance" button until it starts flashing amber rapidly. It's the button closer to the driver side (not the "SOS" button). Release it and it will start flashing slowly. After a while the light will turn off, the car will download some files, and the white light will back on. Be sure to do this procedure in a location where you get good cell service.
Mobile Data: ON. Says "reading SIM"
Tried the reset; no effect.
Bobby is offline  
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Unread 09-04-2019, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 11
According to AT&T's site the only benefit of the data plan is the wireless hotspot. This is from their site:
What are the benefits of subscribing to a wireless data service plan for my vehicle?
Turns your vehicle info a powerful Wi-Fi hotspot
Connect up to 10 compatible devices with Wi-Fi (varies by manufacturer)
Passengers can stream, browse, share and more from the open road
Works up to 50 ft from your vehicle
Enjoy a reliable connection with your car antenna within wireless coverage areas

So... seem that all the other stuff should work without subscribing. Just need to make that happen!!!!
Bobby is offline  
Reply




Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome