The first two weeks - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 8Likes
  • 6 Post By myipace
  • 1 Post By Dantrium
  • 1 Post By Sbingham60

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

The first two weeks

Having about two weeks experience with my new I-Pace, the early verdict: it's amazing and I'm quite happy that I took the plunge. Save for some "guestimator" software issues on range, the car has been flawless. And so fun to drive. For pre-acquisition background, here's my previous thread.

Usage
  • I have put 556 miles in 10 days.
  • Trips include: Boston - White Mountains, White Mountains to Maine Coast, Maine Coast to Boston. Plus a lot of 5-10 mile local, non-highway trips
  • I generally drive in Comfort mode. I mistakenly left it in Dynamic on my first trip to NH and it ATE the miles until I figured out how to put it in ECO. While in Dynamic I'd say it was at best 50% accurate (i.e. 2+ miles used for 1 mile actual traveled). However on my trip to Maine in ECO, my eyes said it was 95%+ accurate (both confirmed on the Journey's app).
  • Easily fit two golf bags and clothes for the Maine weekend trip with space to spare.
  • My NH JuiceBox worked flawlessly (including the app)
  • My MA Flo box worked, but until yesterday the app would not connect (according to Flo, it was configured for the Canadian grid.....)

Pros
  • Comfort & performance - both have exceeded expectations. The pick-up, especially in Dynamic mode, is thrilling. So much torque! Enough that I'm truly wondering whether it would beat my 911, at least on short distances. On looks, several "Wows!", "What's that!?" and thumbs-up at stop lights. Interestingly, people seems to get that it's an EV upon first glance. Seats are very comfortable, adjust in every way, and heat/cool quite well.
  • The much debated telematics system has performed well. In fact, had I not read these forums I don't think I would have said anything. There is occasionally some lag (especially with Sirius "Favorites"), but overall no issues (note: I have not set up any personal settings). Occasionally on fast starts (i.e. not allowing 10 seconds before starting), we have seen some weird stuff like blank screens, unexpected camera angles, etc. But each time a Stop-Wait-Restart-Wait-10s worked. Navigation system has worked well. I doubt I'll keep the AT&T system, so it'll be interesting to see what I lose without wireless data. I plan to try the Apple CarPlay soon.
  • Regen has worked so well that I now have to adjust to two-pedal driving in my ICEs. No use for Creep Mode.
  • The Jaguar Remote app has been useful - overall an asset. Interestingly on the range issue described below, it has provided a different (and I believe more accurate) Range Estimator than the car's software.
  • A shout-out to the team at Peabody Jaguar - first-class all-the-way.
Cons
  • The only significant glitch I observed involved the car's Range estimator. After being quite reliable and predictable, it went off-track the final 50 mile leg of the Maine-to-Boston trip. We left in ECO with a range of 103 miles for a 50 mile trip. Once on the highway it suddenly dropped to 60 for several miles, then back up to 100, then back to 60.....with about 45 miles to go. Interestingly the "battery tank indicator" on the main dash (and the percent estimator in My EV) stayed as predicted. With about 20 miles to go and 29 on the estimator, I decided that we had to find a charger. Sitting in traffic we then figured out how to put it in a Low Power mode -- which allowed us to complete the final 10 miles with the estimator stuck on 23 mile range the entire time. And to add another twist, once home I checked the range on the Remote app, which read 51, about what I would have predicted. So my takeaway - the car's Guestimator algorithm still has some kinks, but the Battery % reserve and the Remote app appear to be a better basis to infer just how much further one can go.
  • Truly, nothing else to complain about. And if this is the only issue then all my concerns leading up to now were groundless. This is not to make short of the real concerns people have expressed -- I too would be quite upset -- but for my experience, so far, so good.

Other observations

• The frunk is a head-scratcher given its small size. Maybe I'll just keep the charging cable there? Also, sometimes it doesn't latch upon first push, and takes a few tries to lock it.
  • There is so much data and options that I still don't know what several icons mean.
  • One surprise - the sidedoor "Jaguar" light projected on the ground. A bit over-the-top......would prefer there were no branding to literally step on (and be made fun of by my family).
  • The sound system is OK. I would have opted for a premium one if that had been an option. Still playing around with it......
  • We've also played around with the "engine soundtrack" -- neither annoying nor exciting, just there. The spaceship sounding pulse at low speeds is a bit odd - I think I'd prefer an engine sound to be broadcast.
  • I've connected to my home WiFi and checked for software updates yesterday -- nothing yet.

Again, I'm quite thrilled with my I-Pace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	2441  

2020 Photon Red & black trim HSE / Carbon fiber everywhere / Oyster leather sport seats & interior / Ebony morzine headlining / 20” 5068 / leather heated sports steering wheel
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 12:18 PM

Great review, myipace! Lots of useful information for sure and I'm glad that you are enjoying your car so much. Reading your previous posts it seems like you've been waiting for your I-Pace to arrive for awhile so congratulations on it's arrival!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 01:20 PM

Garage
Great to hear! I've had mine for just over a month - and love many of the same things you note. I did have to take mine in for software updates because I kept losing the connectivity to the car via InControl. My only design frustration is that there isn't one spot to go for settings/config. Some are on the dashboard, some on the infotainment and some on the climate panel... It's minor really, but challenging when just trying to learn your car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 02:25 PM

There are two levels of stereo. The upgraded one is pretty good but not stunningly amazing or anything. A bit light on bass for electronic music.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by myipace View Post

The frunk is a head-scratcher given its small size. Maybe I'll just keep the charging cable there? Also, sometimes it doesn't latch upon first push, and takes a few tries to lock it.
You can adjust the little bumpers on the front outboard edges to make it latch easier or use two hands placed above the latch points and give it a hearty slam.
bruintoo likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:

The frunk is a head-scratcher given its small size. Maybe I'll just keep the charging cable there? Also, sometimes it doesn't latch upon first push, and takes a few tries to lock it.
Check with your dealer to see if this campaign has been applied: H207NAS1 - Service Action - Hood Latch And Hood Release Cable Renew
The right latch on some models has a problem with alignment. The fix is to replace the right latch and realign.

You look at the hood and see if the two sides are evenly aligned. You should be able to close your "hood" pretty easily without needing to press both left and right at the same time.

The campaign listed above is for a specific problem that may have other symptoms as well. Yours might be a simple alignment problem. One of the folks who posts on this forum needed to have some minor adjustments done at the dealer and then the hood closed smoothly.
bruintoo likes this.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 04:45 PM

Tip: The Tesla Model 3 UMC (32a) with a few pigtails and a Teslatap adapter fit nice into the frunk. That's what I carry so I could charge at an RV campground, a residence, or a Tesla HPWC site at a hotel. As well as normal L1/L2/L3 sites.

I also get a lot of people asking about the car, or just giving it compliments. The I-Pace just happens to fit me like a glove. No car I've owned so far has been as comfy for both long trips, and aggressive cornering.
Someone even wanted permission to use a picture of it in an article.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3513.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	2443   Click image for larger version

Name:	Leaper.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	421.0 KB
ID:	2445  

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-30-2019, 09:31 PM

Quote:
The only significant glitch I observed involved the car's Range estimator. After being quite reliable and predictable, it went off-track the final 50 mile leg of the Maine-to-Boston trip. We left in ECO with a range of 103 miles for a 50 mile trip. Once on the highway it suddenly dropped to 60 for several miles, then back up to 100, then back to 60.....with about 45 miles to go. Interestingly the "battery tank indicator" on the main dash (and the percent estimator in My EV) stayed as predicted. With about 20 miles to go and 29 on the estimator, I decided that we had to find a charger. Sitting in traffic we then figured out how to put it in a Low Power mode -- which allowed us to complete the final 10 miles with the estimator stuck on 23 mile range the entire time. And to add another twist, once home I checked the range on the Remote app, which read 51, about what I would have predicted. So my takeaway - the car's Guestimator algorithm still has some kinks, but the Battery % reserve and the Remote app appear to be a better basis to infer just how much further one can go.
The GoM will significantly change when turning on or off the AC, ventilated seats or heated steering wheel. Mine will drop 40-50 miles and then climb again when I turn the AC off. Switching driving modes can cause the GoM to radically change too. Going from Comfort to Dynamic was cause a drop. Interestingly, other forum members have posted that changing from Comfort to Eco will cause the GoM to considerably drop while going from Eco back to Comfort will cause the prediction to rise. This is bass-akwards but is a known fault in the system.

InControl range prediction being different than the car is new to me. I've seen some variation with the kWh/100 miles reading but InControl should be drawing its prediction directly from the I-Pace. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

The GoM will slowly learn your driving style and become more accurate with time - perhaps another week or two.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page