Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

On the verge of a purchase - question about road trips.

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  loudog3114 
#1 ·
I have been eyeing teslas, the jag, and the porsche for a while now and I have pretty well decided on the EV400. BUT, I have one question that I cannot seem to find an answer to no matter how many charging station apps I surf through. Do 100+kwh dc-combo charge stations actually exist in the USA - new england in particular? If not, as best as I can tell it would take 1.5 hours to get to 80% on the 50kwh charging stations that I can find. Am I wrong about that? If not, is that my only option if I want to go 400+ miles a day?

#3 ·
www.plugshare.com is your friend. Note, you will NOT normally arrive at <10% or bother charging up past 90% since it slow down a lot up there. 20-80% is where most folk run, and is the fastest way with a safety margin.

1hr on most 50kW locations will put 42-55 kWh into the cars. So assuming you are driving it like a Jag, and getting 2.5 mi/kWh, it will add about 100-125 miles.

When I took a long trip (1600mi roundtrip), my routine was ~100-150 miles, charging 40-60 minutes, rinse and repeat.

There are 3 operators of >50kW sites: Electrify America (there is a phone app), EVgo (phone app and RFID card), and Resolve? so far. Could be others now.

Go to Plugshare.com and filter for SAE-COMBO and Electrify America. Then type in the area you want to look at. This will show you >100 kW sites, but some other brands might also be >100kW. Plugshare needs to add a filter. Read comments when you click on a site to get the latest info. It's user based, so leave reports everytime you use one, especially if you have troubles.

This is me filling up at EVgo (350kW):

Attachments

#4 ·
Should be worth adding/noting that we still need an update that will allow the Jag to charge at a rate higher than 100Kw. Hooking up to a 350Kw charger doesn't seem to be more advantageous than a 100Kw charge, but both are considerably faster than the more common 50Kw. What was your experience McRat? I don't recall seeing anyone getting beyond 100Kw and most are closer to 87Kw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.