On the verge of a purchase - question about road trips. - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 10:52 AM Thread Starter

On the verge of a purchase - question about road trips.

I have been eyeing teslas, the jag, and the porsche for a while now and I have pretty well decided on the EV400. BUT, I have one question that I cannot seem to find an answer to no matter how many charging station apps I surf through. Do 100+kwh dc-combo charge stations actually exist in the USA - new england in particular? If not, as best as I can tell it would take 1.5 hours to get to 80% on the 50kwh charging stations that I can find. Am I wrong about that? If not, is that my only option if I want to go 400+ miles a day?
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog3114 View Post
I have been eyeing teslas, the jag, and the porsche for a while now and I have pretty well decided on the EV400. BUT, I have one question that I cannot seem to find an answer to no matter how many charging station apps I surf through. Do 100+kwh dc-combo charge stations actually exist in the USA - new england in particular? If not, as best as I can tell it would take 1.5 hours to get to 80% on the 50kwh charging stations that I can find. Am I wrong about that? If not, is that my only option if I want to go 400+ miles a day?
I believe Electrify America is the only one installing >100kwh chargers at this time, but I could be wrong. Look at their website for locations.

On average, 90 minutes is about right to hit 80%.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudog3114 View Post
www.plugshare.com is your friend. Note, you will NOT normally arrive at <10% or bother charging up past 90% since it slow down a lot up there. 20-80% is where most folk run, and is the fastest way with a safety margin.

1hr on most 50kW locations will put 42-55 kWh into the cars. So assuming you are driving it like a Jag, and getting 2.5 mi/kWh, it will add about 100-125 miles.

When I took a long trip (1600mi roundtrip), my routine was ~100-150 miles, charging 40-60 minutes, rinse and repeat.

There are 3 operators of >50kW sites: Electrify America (there is a phone app), EVgo (phone app and RFID card), and Resolve? so far. Could be others now.

Go to Plugshare.com and filter for SAE-COMBO and Electrify America. Then type in the area you want to look at. This will show you >100 kW sites, but some other brands might also be >100kW. Plugshare needs to add a filter. Read comments when you click on a site to get the latest info. It's user based, so leave reports everytime you use one, especially if you have troubles.

This is me filling up at EVgo (350kW):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	426885.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	259.5 KB
ID:	2365  

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
www.plugshare.com is your friend. Note, you will NOT normally arrive at <10% or bother charging up past 90% since it slow down a lot up there. 20-80% is where most folk run, and is the fastest way with a safety margin.

1hr on most 50kW locations will put 42-55 kWh into the cars. So assuming you are driving it like a Jag, and getting 2.5 mi/kWh, it will add about 100-125 miles.

When I took a long trip (1600mi roundtrip), my routine was ~100-150 miles, charging 40-60 minutes, rinse and repeat.

There are 3 operators of >50kW sites: Electrify America (there is a phone app), EVgo (phone app and RFID card), and Resolve? so far. Could be others now.

Go to Plugshare.com and filter for SAE-COMBO and Electrify America. Then type in the area you want to look at. This will show you >100 kW sites, but some other brands might also be >100kW. Plugshare needs to add a filter. Read comments when you click on a site to get the latest info. It's user based, so leave reports everytime you use one, especially if you have troubles.

This is me filling up at EVgo (350kW):
Should be worth adding/noting that we still need an update that will allow the Jag to charge at a rate higher than 100Kw. Hooking up to a 350Kw charger doesn't seem to be more advantageous than a 100Kw charge, but both are considerably faster than the more common 50Kw. What was your experience McRat? I don't recall seeing anyone getting beyond 100Kw and most are closer to 87Kw.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Should be worth adding/noting that we still need an update that will allow the Jag to charge at a rate higher than 100Kw. Hooking up to a 350Kw charger doesn't seem to be more advantageous than a 100Kw charge, but both are considerably faster than the more common 50Kw. What was your experience McRat? I don't recall seeing anyone getting beyond 100Kw and most are closer to 87Kw.
While EA sites will claim to peak at 104 kW on an I-Pace, I do not believe their display. It does not add a 50% charge any faster than EVgo does which averages at 78kW from 25%-75%. It seems to peak about 84 kW.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

thanks all - electrify america seems to be the answer for proper quick charging. That has added some relief for me - although they charge .58 cents a minute up north, at least it drops to .15 in the south.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page