New I PACE... a few questions. - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By sciencegeek
  • 1 Post By sciencegeek
  • 1 Post By jsimon7777

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

New I PACE... a few questions.

Hello from San Diego. Just got my I PACE HSE today. So far it’s great. A couple questions:

1. I’d like to turn off the “goodbye” screen for preconditioning. When I go to the correct location in the settings as per the manual I wind up in the settings for time of use. Any hints?

2. Is there a way to set the upper charge % limit? I’ve seen on other threads that folks say it’s ok to go to 100% all the time. Is that the current consensus?

3. Are most of us still patiently waiting for the OTA v19 update? I tried to use the “update note” button a few times but it keeps telling me it’s not available. Despite the fact that I specifically asked the dealer to install v19 I still wound up with v18. Everything seems to work reasonably well. CarPlay is super slow, slower that the wireless version on my BMW.

4. Anyone have the sunshade? Does it help much?

Thanks very much!

Bob M
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
Hello from San Diego. Just got my I PACE HSE today. So far it’s great. A couple questions:

1. I’d like to turn off the “goodbye” screen for preconditioning. When I go to the correct location in the settings as per the manual I wind up in the settings for time of use. Any hints?

2. Is there a way to set the upper charge % limit? I’ve seen on other threads that folks say it’s ok to go to 100% all the time. Is that the current consensus?

3. Are most of us still patiently waiting for the OTA v19 update? I tried to use the “update note” button a few times but it keeps telling me it’s not available. Despite the fact that I specifically asked the dealer to install v19 I still wound up with v18. Everything seems to work reasonably well. CarPlay is super slow, slower that the wireless version on my BMW.

Thanks very much!

Bob M
Welcome to the forum, Bob. You're going to love your I-Pace! So here are a few answers for you:

1) I'll check on the goodbye screen and get back to you.

2) There currently isn't a way to set the charge for a specific % and how much you charge will depend on your needs. I don't think there's a concurrence on charging to 100% but there was a thread in this forum about extending battery life by keeping the state of charge (SoC) between 25% and 80%.

I use a 32 Amp level 2 home charger that adds about 8% per hour so I set the timed charging based on this rate to charge to near 80%.

3) I don't understand why your dealer didn't update to 19A but many members haven't updated either because their infotainment works well and every update fixes some things but breaks others. I'm on an older version of 19A because it works so well.

Not sure why you can't use OTA but check your WiFi or AT&T-provided mobile data to ensure they are connected. I've had to turn them off and then on again to get the update button to select.

4) I have the sunscreen and it's huge and hard to install but living in Colorado I find it very useful. I lived in San Diego for many years and think it would be useful for you. It will reduce the need for air conditioning so your range will be better.

Oh, make sure that the dealer set up your Incontrol account and navigation profile. If not, you won't be able to use OTA.
Again, welcome to the forum and I will let you know about the goodbye screen.

Last edited by 2761; 08-16-2019 at 12:47 AM.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 12:47 AM

Unfortunately I have no answers for you as I don’t own one, but I am in the market for an EV right now. Heading to SD next week to attend the Polestar 2 event down there, but doubtful I’ll wait that long. Two lead contenders have been the Ipace and the Model 3, and ultimately my wife will have a big say since we’ll be swapping back and forth and she’s the picky one.

If I can ask what was it about the Ipace that sealed the deal for you? What kind of discount off MSRP did you get?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:42 AM

Seems like the option to turn off the goodbye screen is gone. Not sure if it's in another location but it was there in May when I bought the car. Anyone else out there who can help Bob?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilliM View Post
Unfortunately I have no answers for you as I dont own one, but I am in the market for an EV right now. Heading to SD next week to attend the Polestar 2 event down there, but doubtful Ill wait that long. Two lead contenders have been the Ipace and the Model 3, and ultimately my wife will have a big say since well be swapping back and forth and shes the picky one.

If I can ask what was it about the Ipace that sealed the deal for you? What kind of discount off MSRP did you get?
I-Pace and M3 are totally different types of vehicles ... if you're choosing between them it means that you haven't figured out what you really want and are just going with "let's get an EV". Just sayin'
jsimon7777 likes this.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:58 AM

Quote:
2. Is there a way to set the upper charge % limit?
There's an app on the Play Store from an independent developer in Norway that lets you set max charge but it requires TCU 16.2. It's in beta now, give it another couple of months and it'll be available broadly.

Quote:
Ive seen on other threads that folks say its ok to go to 100% all the time. Is that the current consensus?
The consensus may well be wrong. The fact is that you extend battery life if you don't charge to 100% regularly and don't keep it at high temperatures fully or nearly fully charged. Charging to 100% (actually, beyond the reported 100% to where the charger quits) doesn't outright damage the battery but it does shorten battery life. So do it only when you really need it, like on a road trip.

Quote:
3. Are most of us still patiently waiting for the OTA v19 update? I tried to use the update note button a few times but it keeps telling me its not available. Despite the fact that I specifically asked the dealer to install v19 I still wound up with v18. Everything seems to work reasonably well. CarPlay is super slow, slower that the wireless version on my BMW.
Bob M
I'm not going to update until all the dust has settled. Right now the updates have as many new bugs as they fix. I'm on 18D and 14.2 and it has been great. That said, I don't ask much of the system. Bluetooth and Android Auto is just about it for connectivity. Driving? Well, always in dynamic mode
epirali likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:

Thanks very much!

Bob M
1) I don't know, but it does help you if want to charge instantly or preheat the car in the AM. Normally when you shut off the car, if the Precondition window appears, glance at it to see if PC/TOU charging is active. All you need to do exit the car and ignore it unless you want changes. IIRC, if you delete all the Departure times, turn off Precondition and Delayed Charging in the setting, the window will not appear. Tip: Precondition Departure Time makes the car 'boot' quicker and have more regen at 100%.

2) The prototype cars had adjustable charge level, but they drop it (and the L2 EVSE) for the production version. JLR says 100% is fine, I do it a lot (12k miles), but I would not store a car at 100%. JLR recommends 35% for shipping/storage. I use electricity like gasoline. I do not refill every day, I refill when needed. However, I charge at work at a 3kW charger so I can go several days before needing to use the 7kW charger at night.

3) AFAIK, I now have all the updates including the Brake/Regen and latest 19A OTA update. Car runs fine. Your results may vary as we are finding out.

4) Cars will always get hot inside when in the sun. The side windows and windshield on the I-Pace let in the most heat. The roof not so much. Our Cadillacs get just as hot with both it's sunroofs closed. And so did our Corvettes and Chevrolet Volts which were hardtops. A windshield shade will have the most effect, and while illegal, tinting the side windows would help.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 08-16-2019 at 11:07 AM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 11:36 AM

Agree with most of above.

Re: charging, fine to charge to 100% but probably wouldn't do it every day. Some reports suggest you can charge about 3000 times and have degradation to 85% or so of the original battery capacity (estimates, obviously). So I charge when I drop below 40% or if I have a long drive the following day. In general, means charging about twice a week, which would give me about 30 years of charging before I lose 15% battery capacity. Seems pretty good!

Re: sunshade, agree with McRat, it likely won't make much difference. I asked Jaguar about the sun blocking of the glass roof (we have an infant who sits in back under the glass and was worried about sun exposure). I was told the roof blocks 97.5% of UV/heat (effectively SPF 40). The side windows will be the primary source of heating.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
I-Pace and M3 are totally different types of vehicles ... if you're choosing between them it means that you haven't figured out what you really want and are just going with "let's get an EV". Just sayin'
This is very true. Totally different vehicles other than their fuel.

As for the sun shade, it's usefulness is to block sunlight, but it might not make a significant difference with heat. Every car I've ever owned gets nice and hot when parked in the sun, and then gets nice and cool with the AC blasting on full. Well, the Neon's AC did die. That car sucked.
Jtdavi3 likes this.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 08:38 PM

Regarding the sunscreen, I have one installed in Dallas, Tx.

It reduces the radiant heat from the glass. The clips holding in the sun screen occasionally pop off.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page