Car Seized Up Completely - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Car Seized Up Completely

About a week ago I noticed informational messages pop up on my dashboard that said "Ok to drive with caution Brake pedal feel reduced. Click ok...so I do and the the right side of the dashboard has a yellow informational "i" and BRAKE. Now less than a week later I get another alert "ASPC not available" press ok to clear. Then shortly after that Stability control not available presss ok to clear. Then Traction battery fault detected. I then say WTF to myself whats going on. I then pull off the highway and approach a traffic light. I tap the break to slow the car down (faster then regen would) and the break pedal doesnt depress. I had to FORCEFULLY have to push the break down to stop the car. OK, maybe just an fluke. I release the break and the car doesnt move (Creep mode keeps turning off with new infotainment version) so I tap the accelerator and all of a sudden...THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP. Kinda like the car was bunny hoping sorta like the brakes were engaged and i was forcing it to move. Now I have a Gearbox fault detected

I stopped the car, put it into park and then put it into drive. Move a few feet and THUMP THUMP THUMP. Pulled the car over and called roadside assistance. Now I cannot start the car. Press the brake and hit the start button the car screen boots up and then immediately shuts down. If I hit start without the brake pressed it starts up. Parking "P" is blinking on the shifter and blinking on my dashboard. Cannot put the car into neutral and it cannot be loaded into flatbed.

emergency brake release didnt work. Finally hitting emergency release numerous times the brakes released then locked mid-pull onto flatbed. After another 10 mins of multiple attempts to release emergency brake the car brakes released. I found out there is emergency brake release in the FRUNK...really small cable to pull and release brakes (either front or back...i'm not sure).

Well 5 hours later it was taken to the only jaguar repair center that didnt have a 2-3week waiting list and only had a 2 day delay for loaner car. Cant believe it takes so long for an appt. Who knows when I will get my car back. They had to roll the car off the truck bed, connected a computer to the diagnostic board and it produced 23 PAGES OF ERRORS. I kid you not...22 pages printed up in the printer full of errors.

Im so not happy and regret selling my Tesla
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Here are the photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	file5.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	156.2 KB
ID:	2299   Click image for larger version

Name:	file4.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	2301   Click image for larger version

Name:	file2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	2303   Click image for larger version

Name:	file1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	2305   Click image for larger version

Name:	file-6.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	2307  

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:00 PM

I had nearly the same thing happen with a loaner Land Rover Discovery that fortunately died in my driveway. Multiple cautions and warnings including parking brake, ATPC, power steering effort reduced, etc., etc. Car was towable and when I picked up my I-Pace the service advisor told me that the Land Rover problem was corrupted software.

Hopefully your problem is the same because the Discovery was back on the road in 3or 4 days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:36 PM

Hey Brian, I just got my I-Pace back a few days ago... nothing would come up on the car anymore just like yours... it totally shut down and nothing would power up . I've discussed this in another thread and won't back over all of it.

The initial symptoms in my case were different up until the Traction battery fault, but when the car failed the hard failure was pretty much like yours. Apparently the emergency brakes will automatically engage in hard failure situations like this. I didn't know about the emergency release at the time and we had a heck of a time getting a all-wheel lift tow truck to do my tow, but we eventually succeeded in getting it to the dealer. We didn't have power to open the frunk in any case. (Lesson here: pop the frunk as soon as a battery-related failure appears before it's too late!)

It took 5 weeks to the day for my car to be repaired, partially because the only techs allowed to work on it were away on training for a while causing a two week delay, and partially because JLR had to send the dealer a new special set of equipment (including protective eyewear and clothing) they needed to be allowed to work on the high voltage system of the car. The repair also required the techs in England to be live online during certain parts, so coordination of that slowed things down too.

I understand they have seen this type of complete shut-down failure a few times now (mine was the first for my dealer) and they have procedures in place to deal with it - including moving all other cars and people away from it during certain steps). The have also apparently redesigned some aspect of the battery control module based upon lessons learned and they tell me I got the newer version. They also had replace the two auxiliary low-voltage batteries as part of the process.

Hopefully your repair will be a bit faster. Based upon what you reported, I wouldn't be surprised if your repair ends up replacing many of the same parts as mine.
deafsoundguy likes this.

Last edited by StormRune; 08-14-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
About a week ago I noticed informational messages pop up on my dashboard that said "Ok to drive with caution Brake pedal feel reduced. Click ok...so I do and the the right side of the dashboard has a yellow informational "i" and BRAKE. Now less than a week later I get another alert "ASPC not available" press ok to clear. Then shortly after that Stability control not available presss ok to clear. Then Traction battery fault detected. I then say WTF to myself whats going on. I then pull off the highway and approach a traffic light. I tap the break to slow the car down (faster then regen would) and the break pedal doesnt depress. I had to FORCEFULLY have to push the break down to stop the car. OK, maybe just an fluke. I release the break and the car doesnt move (Creep mode keeps turning off with new infotainment version) so I tap the accelerator and all of a sudden...THUMP THUMP THUMP THUMP. Kinda like the car was bunny hoping sorta like the brakes were engaged and i was forcing it to move. Now I have a Gearbox fault detected

I stopped the car, put it into park and then put it into drive. Move a few feet and THUMP THUMP THUMP. Pulled the car over and called roadside assistance. Now I cannot start the car. Press the brake and hit the start button the car screen boots up and then immediately shuts down. If I hit start without the brake pressed it starts up. Parking "P" is blinking on the shifter and blinking on my dashboard. Cannot put the car into neutral and it cannot be loaded into flatbed.

emergency brake release didnt work. Finally hitting emergency release numerous times the brakes released then locked mid-pull onto flatbed. After another 10 mins of multiple attempts to release emergency brake the car brakes released. I found out there is emergency brake release in the FRUNK...really small cable to pull and release brakes (either front or back...i'm not sure).

Well 5 hours later it was taken to the only jaguar repair center that didnt have a 2-3week waiting list and only had a 2 day delay for loaner car. Cant believe it takes so long for an appt. Who knows when I will get my car back. They had to roll the car off the truck bed, connected a computer to the diagnostic board and it produced 23 PAGES OF ERRORS. I kid you not...22 pages printed up in the printer full of errors.

Im so not happy and regret selling my Tesla

Firstly, sorry for your car freaking out. I had something similar happen w/ a battery fault, but it magically resolved itself after a few days at the dealer. I've read so many scary posts like this...is anyone having essentially a trouble free time with their Jaguar? We've been pretty stable since the previously mentioned battery fault in May. I haven't changed any software, trying to avoid creating trouble where there is none.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 09:49 AM

After putting over 8,000 mi on 3 different I-Paces (5000mi, 1800mi, and 1500mi) since December, NONE with any significant issues (see other posts for why three), I do have to believe the majority of 10,000+ worldwide owners also have had relatively trouble free operation. The ones that don't come here to share and learn - OK, and vent, too. The pro-Tesla media (especially some of the EV websites) would be hammering JLR if issues like this one were occurring with any regularity.

Even today I posted the bizarre behavior of my GoM, but it hasn't inhibited my enjoyment of the car... I expected stuff like this from a new launch (although my 3rd is a 2020), and given it's software related, I assume (and expect) OTA will save the day. I am dismayed by reports such as this one from brian.online, but if you read early Tesla forums the trouble reports were far more frequent, serious, debilitating, and without local dealerships to address.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:05 AM
MyA

4 months, 7000 km... and not a single issue. Just interrogations about perpendicular parking assistant that has disappeared since last update.

Otherwise, perfect drive.
MyA
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:55 AM

*Perpendicular* parking assistant? Didn't know about that... now I'll have to go look it up! :-)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRune View Post
Hey Brian, I just got my I-Pace back a few days ago... nothing would come up on the car anymore just like yours... it totally shut down and nothing would power up . I've discussed this in another thread and won't back over all of it.

The initial symptoms in my case were different up until the Traction battery fault, but when the car failed the hard failure was pretty much like yours. Apparently the emergency brakes will automatically engage in hard failure situations like this. I didn't know about the emergency release at the time and we had a heck of a time getting a all-wheel lift tow truck to do my tow, but we eventually succeeded in getting it to the dealer. We didn't have power to open the frunk in any case. (Lesson here: pop the frunk as soon as a battery-related failure appears before it's too late!)

It took 5 weeks to the day for my car to be repaired, partially because the only techs allowed to work on it were away on training for a while causing a two week delay, and partially because JLR had to send the dealer a new special set of equipment (including protective eyewear and clothing) they needed to be allowed to work on the high voltage system of the car. The repair also required the techs in England to be live online during certain parts, so coordination of that slowed things down too.

I understand they have seen this type of complete shut-down failure a few times now (mine was the first for my dealer) and they have procedures in place to deal with it - including moving all other cars and people away from it during certain steps). The have also apparently redesigned some aspect of the battery control module based upon lessons learned and they tell me I got the newer version. They also had replace the two auxiliary low-voltage batteries as part of the process.

Hopefully your repair will be a bit faster. Based upon what you reported, I wouldn't be surprised if your repair ends up replacing many of the same parts as mine.
My dealer told me that they once had to repair the battery module in an I-PACE and that there was one guy whose sole job is to hold a hook to pull the service tech guy away in case something happens to him with the high voltage battery system.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.o[email protected] View Post

Small cable in the frunk is emergency release for the charging cable not the brakes.

The electric parking brake release is in the area between steering column and driver door. You put your foot on the brake pedal and pull out on the EPB switch to release the brakes. It may also require that the seat belt be fastened as an indication you're in control of the situation to prevent an unintended rolling of the car.

No procedure in the owners manual describes "hitting emergency release". Pushing the EPB switch is the method to apply the EPB, not release it.

It will be interesting to read the root cause of this situation. I wish for you to have a positive outcome.
deafsoundguy likes this.