Buyback and tax credit question - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Buyback and tax credit question

So I have just heard back from JLR and they have agreed to buy back my vehicle. it is going to take a while, and we have had the car since late February, so I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of whether or not we would or could or should still claim the EV credit on our taxes next year. By the time the whole process is done I am guessing we will have had the vehicle in possession for about eight or nine months. I can't find anything in the rebate details that says you have to own a vehicle for a certain amount of time to claim the credit. The reason we purchased instead of at least to begin with was to get the tax credit. If anybody has any insight let me know.

p.s I am really sad that this didn't work out because I absolutely love everything about the car except for all of its software glitches (and some hardware issues too) and we just can't continue to be beta testers for this product. The other sad thing is I really don't want an E-tron and there are several reasons why we don't want a Tesla, so there really is not anything else in this class available. I think we are going to have to just do a short-term lease on a Kia Niro EV while we wait for some more options to hit the market. =(
Dantrium likes this.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:20 PM

I am in a similar situation, but mine is going to arbitration through the attorney generals office, as Jaguar has not responded to my 3rd request for repurchase. They denied me twice, but only over the phone and email and never in a signed response outlining their reason why.

Our car is in the shop still today since July 16th. In total 79 days in shop since purchase March 11, and most of the 1540 miles spent driving 60 miles RT to the shop. They are replacing all the brakes today due to the squeal issue. I am curious how they were able to offer you a buy back. How many days in the shop? We had multiple issues as well, I posted some of them. They were playing games when I went to the BBB and would not reply to the mfg response form so I withdrew from that bogus process and went with a fair arbitration within the legal system in WA. It is required that we do one arbitration attempt to settle before going to Superior Court. I seriously doubt I will need to go beyond arbitration, but it will take time. I am hoping to simply have them repurchase, but if we are not fully settled prior to arbitration, I will continue with it to get some court leverage from a binding arbitration.

If I have to go to court to get full repurchase, I intend to get more than just a repurchase after this much abuse and free beta testing. I have an attorney in the que who has won 95% of the time in court. I do not hate JLR, but they need to recognize this is simply a Lemon and make it right.

To answer your question the tax credit is yours. You bought the car and that is all that is required. It is not transferable, and there is no time of ownership required. They wrote the tax law to prevent flipping the vehicles for the credit, but clearly you had no intent. This credit is yours to take, as no one else can against that VIN once it is sold. I might think Jaguar would try to argue a lower buy back due to your fortune, but that is not the case under the Lemon Law, you should receive the full amount you paid plus tax, and the insurance paid after the first repair attempt or after the first 15 days out of service. If you had leased the vehicle, they would keep the credit themselves as it does follow the original titled owner.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 12:44 PM

Look here, seems you shouldn't have any issues:

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-...30-and-irc-30d

"The vehicles must be acquired for use or lease and not for resale. Additionally, the original use of the vehicle must commence with the taxpayer and the vehicle must be used predominantly in the United States. For purposes of the 30D credit, a vehicle is not considered acquired prior to the time when title to the vehicle passes to the taxpayer under state law."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 08:45 PM

I did some research on this with my buyback. I was thinking I didn't want another I-Pace, but after learning I would have to pay the tax credit back, at least for state (CA), I decided to get another I-Pace. I spoke to the dept that handles this and at that time they told me I need to have the vehicle in my possesion for at least 13 months, otherwise I would have to pay a prorated amount back. I just looked at the website for today's requirements and here's what it says:
Retain ownership of the vehicle for a minimum of 30 consecutive months immediately after the vehicle purchase or lease date.
The original lease must be a minimum lease term of 30 months.
Only rental and car share vehicles are eligible for a reduced ownership provision if retained in California for a minimum of twelve consecutive months but less than 30 consecutive months. Please note: Public fleets are not eligible for the reduced-ownership provision.

https://cleanvehiclerebate.org/eng/requirements/2428

I never found the requirements for federal rebate. My CPA was going to look into it, but since I did an exchange we didn't worry about it. Figure if I get an audit I can provide paper work for buy back and purchase of new vehicle.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfan View Post
So I have just heard back from JLR and they have agreed to buy back my vehicle. it is going to take a while, and we have had the car since late February, so I am wondering if anyone has any knowledge of whether or not we would or could or should still claim the EV credit on our taxes next year. By the time the whole process is done I am guessing we will have had the vehicle in possession for about eight or nine months. I can't find anything in the rebate details that says you have to own a vehicle for a certain amount of time to claim the credit. The reason we purchased instead of at least to begin with was to get the tax credit. If anybody has any insight let me know.

p.s I am really sad that this didn't work out because I absolutely love everything about the car except for all of its software glitches (and some hardware issues too) and we just can't continue to be beta testers for this product. The other sad thing is I really don't want an E-tron and there are several reasons why we don't want a Tesla, so there really is not anything else in this class available. I think we are going to have to just do a short-term lease on a Kia Niro EV while we wait for some more options to hit the market. =(
I'm in the same boat. I was just notified a couple days ago that they are going to be buying my car back, for which I am grateful. However, as you are, I am a bit bummed too. There is a lot to like about the car and it will be tough to find something that will tick some of the boxes that the I-Pace filled. However at the end of the day, the problems (mechanical/software issues and the BEV shortcomings) are just not worth dealing with. I look forward to the day I can buy a BEV that will allow me to travel as easily as a normal car. I could probably make a Tesla work for me for 99% of what I want, but I just can't get past how they 'feel', so now I need to find something else.

I may look at a PHEV. I like The Range Rover's, but I am hesitant to give a JLR product another go...
fedorachef likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 09:20 PM

Just get another i-Pace

PHEVs make sense if your daily drive is less than or equal to the range of the battery. Most SUV's ranges are 20 miles or less ...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Just get another i-Pace

PHEVs make sense if your daily drive is less than or equal to the range of the battery. Most SUV's ranges are 20 miles or less ...
A BEV without the ability to easily and quickly travel 300 miles is out of the question for me. In other words, I am not in the position to give up 30-60 minutes of my time charging, just to go 300 miles. I had convinced myself a 230 mile I-Pace would be ok...it isn't, especially when the temp heads to the wrong side of zero.

I do not have a typical daily drive. Some days I drove less than 10 miles, but most days I drive closer to 60+ miles, but not all at once, I have 3 active kids (soccer/hockey/baseball/dance/skating/piano) and running around from one thing to another can keep a guy busy. But even if I had a PHEV with a 20-30 mile battery range, that is better than zero and by plugging in between trips, 20-30 might be 40-50+

But maybe I'll skip the PHEV...I haven't decided what I want.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
A BEV without the ability to easily and quickly travel 300 miles is out of the question for me. In other words, I am not in the position to give up 30-60 minutes of my time charging, just to go 300 miles. I had convinced myself a 230 mile I-Pace would be ok...it isn't, especially when the temp heads to the wrong side of zero.

I do not have a typical daily drive. Some days I drove less than 10 miles, but most days I drive closer to 60+ miles, but not all at once, I have 3 active kids (soccer/hockey/baseball/dance/skating/piano) and running around from one thing to another can keep a guy busy. But even if I had a PHEV with a 20-30 mile battery range, that is better than zero and by plugging in between trips, 20-30 might be 40-50+

But maybe I'll skip the PHEV...I haven't decided what I want.
Yeah I get it. You've done the experiment and current EVs are not really for you unless you make a pretty big adjustment. Good news is, there are plenty of excellent ICE cars to pick from, for less money than the i-Pace at equivalent functionality.
Dantrium likes this.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by billfan View Post

I'm in the same boat. I was just notified a couple days ago that they are going to be buying my car back, for which I am grateful. However, as you are, I am a bit bummed too. There is a lot to like about the car and it will be tough to find something that will tick some of the boxes that the I-Pace filled. However at the end of the day, the problems (mechanical/software issues and the BEV shortcomings) are just not worth dealing with. I look forward to the day I can buy a BEV that will allow me to travel as easily as a normal car. I could probably make a Tesla work for me for 99% of what I want, but I just can't get past how they 'feel', so now I need to find something else.

I may look at a PHEV. I like The Range Rover's, but I am hesitant to give a JLR product another go...
Yeah there's just nothing out there right now that ticks the same boxes and I'm not willing to gamble again on a Gen 1 I-Pace. I wish the Mercedes EQC was out already, but I can't wait that long. No PHEVs get enough mileage on EV only.
Dantrium likes this.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 11:17 PM

FYI no EV including Tesla will give you 300 miles. Tesla way overstates their rave, and I Pace seems to be pretty spot on.

But yes if range is not enough ICE is a good choice. If money is not an issue i8 will do a real 25-30 miles and will tick every driving aspect of the I Pace. But it had no storage.
McRat likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page