Buyback and tax credit question - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:24 PM

You could order a Lightyear One with 497 mile range. I don't know if or when they'll be available in the US. Production starts in 2021. It's a Dutch company.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
You could order a Lightyear One with 497 mile range. I don't know if or when they'll be available in the US. Production starts in 2021. It's a Dutch company.
That is one ugly car. There is no way I would buy something so homely. It will be interesting to see if it actually makes it into production.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:55 PM

Porsche Taycan!
I almost bought the Panamera hybrid when I was undecided. Man it drives nice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayepace View Post
Haha uh no thanks. I only have 1 car so I think once the I-Pace goes back I may actually do Swapalease and take over a lease of some ICE car that has like 8 months left on it to bridge the gap until the Mercedes EQC comes out and get that. I've now been burned by bad infotainment so I wanna car that knows how to do good UI
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:09 PM

Similar question. Last year I was able to collect on the $7,500 tax credit but then I too had a buy back/replacement. Anybody know if I can claim the credit on the second vehicle?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 04:38 PM

Form 8936 does allow for two vehicles.

Nothing at the IRS site excludes vehicles in a buyback. Nothing there seems to restrict a person to only 1 tax year.

It only states that the taxpayer receiving the original title is eligible for the tax credit. Selling it (transferring the title to someone else) will not make the new buyer eligible for the tax credit and disallow the original purchaser.

In a buyback you're transferring the title to Jaguar or a dealership. They can't claim the tax credit nor could anyone to whom they subsequently resell the car, per my reading of the IRS site.

You can draw your own opinion from reading at https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-form-8936 or consult a tax advisor, or enrolled agent.

This is not official tax law opinion or guidance.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:21 PM

Not trying to hijack this thread but reading it has me concerned. I’m about to purchase a 2019 HSE. Are the issues being discussed isolated to 2018 models? I’m looking for a no drama reliable electric. Tesla is not for me and I really like the I-Pace. Thanks
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voltage View Post
Not trying to hijack this thread but reading it has me concerned. I’m about to purchase a 2019 HSE. Are the issues being discussed isolated to 2018 models? I’m looking for a no drama reliable electric. Tesla is not for me and I really like the I-Pace. Thanks
There is no such thing as a 2018. I would say your risk of getting a car with major mechanical defects is low. It may or may not be higher than other brands. Even if it worse than other brands, your risk is still low. You can not extrapolate a few reports of major failures here as an indicator of potential future failures.

Now of course your risk of being impacted by the known infotainment bugs/slowness is very high. But many have accepted it as just the way it is and are not annoyed by it
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Sadly it's very hit or miss. Mine is a 2019 SE model I got in Feb and has had many software/electrical issues, been back for service multiple times a total of about 30 days in shop. Others haven't had many problems at all, and yet others have had way more problems than me (upwards of 70 today days back in the shop). As some have said on here, try not to get too scared by the posts as we're probably a vocal minority, but it's clear that Jag has some seriously quality control issues so your mileage may vary if you have any issues, or how many and what kind. Our car is basically a crapshoot every day when you start it up as to what will load or continue working as you drive away, so a buy-back makes sense for us. But many have no issues so I hope for you that's the case. But either way you have a good forum here to post about any issues you may encounter. I really don't want to give back the car, I absolutely love driving it, but it's just too buggy in the software dept so makes daily life with it quite frustrating.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Not trying to hijack this thread but reading it has me concerned. Im about to purchase a 2019 HSE. Are the issues being discussed isolated to 2018 models? Im looking for a no drama reliable electric. Tesla is not for me and I really like the I-Pace. Thanks
The car is buggy in infotainment. It's not a base model Corolla in reliability. However, it is fantastic, and the horror stories of Teslas (of which I've read countless) appear much worse. The only real issue we have in our car is a rattle from the backseat on bumpy roads. I just haven't bothered to get it fixed yet.
epirali likes this.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page