GoM DROPS when using Eco Mode? - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-14-2019, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
When the car is fully charged in normal mode it says I have 272 miles. When I switch to Eco mode it says 201 miles....

Basically, I have no idea how much range I ever have left. I was driving the other day and it showed 50-60 miles left. I put it in Eco mode and it dropped to 14 miles. I put it back in normal mode and it went to 40 miles. Then dropped.

By the time I got home, it said I had 10 miles left - no warning came on or anything.
272 miles is hypermiling. It's possible if you are good, but it's not that fun to drive for 5 hours for a range test, trust me.

No matter what the GoM has said, I know from experience what to expect. I get about 50 miles per 1/4 tank driven at 80 mph in hilly terrain with AC on using the Eco setting and ACC.

Sidebar - Coming back from Vegas at 85 mph Sunday, I knew my car would make it. But when I was 60 miles from home, the GoM said I would not so I slowed to 75mph. At 40 miles, it said I'd come up 20 miles short, but I know my car. I stuck with the 75 mph though, maybe the car knew something I didn't. Slowly the negative numbers rolled into positive numbers. When I pulled in the driveway, I had 13% SOC left. So I could have stayed at 85 like I thought.

Your Range Warning can be set at 10%/20%/30% but I don't know if you can turn it off. I leave it at 10% which will get me about 30 miles in a pinch. The last 10% is more than 10%.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 10:34 AM

I can confirm the bizarre (and totally embarrassing to JLR) behavior of the GoM: Range at 100% SOC reads 282 mi for all modes but Eco, which exhibits 201 mi. I can also confirm that the 3 'jackrabbit starts to 0-45 in Eco Mode" did reset my GoM, which had been reading 201 mi at all modes for 100% SOC. I took this video about 10 mi into my drive today...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mooxbb4fx4..._0590.mov?dl=0
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

3 hard starts hardly seems like a safe way to reset the system, no?

Mine makes no sense at all.

@McRat - its great you know your car so well. Mine, on the other hand, doesn't seem to work that way. I don't even get a warning when I drop below 10% - or 5% for that matter. My range also seems to be diminishing with each charge. In summer weather I was getting about 220-230, now I'm lucky to get 190 - at least from what I'm calculating more or less.

I'm getting really sick of this car really quickly. Never have I had a car that drove so well but everything else was junk...

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
My range also seems to be diminishing with each charge. In summer weather I was getting about 220-230, now I'm lucky to get 190 - at least from what I'm calculating more or less.
Until you posted "GoM DROPS when using Eco Mode" I was also having an unsettled feeling about diminishing range, although having just taken delivery of my 2020 less than 4 weeks ago I didn't know what to think (different car, upgraded software, etc.). Like McRat, by now (7 months) I feel like I know the I-Pace well enough to "override" the unreliable GoM, although in my case the experience spans 3 different vehicles (2 FEs, one a 5 week loaner), presumably all built to identical specs even with the 3rd being a 2020 HSE. I do have a sense that in the hot summer months (temps consistently in the mid-90s here in SW Florida) the use of AC and battery self-cooling detract slightly from range. I haven't measured power use, however, and now with the GoM a bit crazy I can't confirm that suspicion.
Glad you posted about this, however, as now that I've fully recreated the issue it is most definitely a (solvable) software issue. I must say JLR's software QC is pitiful... how did no one notice this gargantuan (81 mi) swing in range (and even OPPOSITE of expected, with Eco being lowest???). Sgtpeper, I haven't bothered to report this issue, so you can feel free to include the video link above if they dispute your complaint.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 12:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. It's very frustrating and making range anxiety pretty bad.

When the car gets down low, the range seems to change quite a bit - or sometimes it doesn't change at all.

I swear, if Jaguar had put some real money into the software on this car it could be one of the best vehicles on the road today. Instead, I don't feel like I can trust it from day to day.

Jeff in Denver
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:33 PM
Super Moderator

Ok I totally agree that the software is buggy and that it's ridiculous that they still ship new versions that fix one thing and break another. That said, I don't understand why the GoM bugs induce any sort of range anxiety.

Ignore the GoM. Look at your SoC and make it a policy to charge to 80 or 90% when it's below 30%. It's just like a gas gauge in an ICE vehicle. You look at the gauge and decide to fill up when it drops below your comfort level.
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

Your Range Warning can be set at 10%/20%/30% but I don't know if you can turn it off. I leave it at 10% which will get me about 30 miles in a pinch. The last 10% is more than 10%.
How do you set the range warning?
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

The difference is the inherent nature of an EV - I can fill up just about anywhere in an ICE vehicle. If I can't rely in some way on how much power I have left, then I'm left anxious.

I live in Colorado and we have a lot of elevation changes. So sometimes a 1/4 tank can take me 75 miles it seems, and sometimes I get 30. I never really know what I'll get.

Jeff in Denver
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
How do you set the range warning?

Let me go look. BRB.

post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-15-2019, 02:31 PM

OK -
Navigation title bar
Settings (gear icon on bottom border)
All Settings?
Electric car settings
Check the Auto-add Charge Stations box
Right below that will be a selection about Range Warning
Click it and it will show 10/20/30 settings.

I think you can turn if off by NOT checking the Auto-add charging stations box.

Last edited by McRat; 08-15-2019 at 02:34 PM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page