Initial highway range ...my estimates - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 09:16 AM

As of summer 2019, EA is just about the only game in town (in the U.S.) with widespread DCFC charging stations above 75kW. Do they charge a premium? Absolutely. Saying you don't like them for that reason is like saying you don't like 7-11 for charging $1.89 for a bottle of grab-n-go, ice cold water you can get for $0.25 at the grocery store (bulk wrapped, room temperature). I'm quite thankful EA exists today - they represent the 'supercharging station' for non-Tesla owners. Used sparingly, the premium price is inconsequential. I do look forward to more stations (and more competition) for those (relatively rare) times I really want to fill up away from home in under an hour. Still hopeful JLR will continue incremental bumps of the I-Pace charging rate (above 100kW) with software updates. If they can get to 150kW, it would charge the 90kW battery in under an hour, even accounting for the tapering of rate above 80%.
epirali and juice like this.
post #22 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:22 PM

Garage
I would love to get that sort of range. On a road trip from Arizona to California which I make frequently I cruise along Interstate 10 at 10mph below the speed limit and get an average range of around 180 miles. Since there are no fast chargers on this route between the outskirts of Phoenix and Indio, California which is a distance of 216 miles I have to stop at Blythe, CA (approximately halfway) for 2 hours to get a boost at a Level 2 charger in order to reach my destination. I have owned my vehicle since March and never got close to the Jaguar claimed range of 234 miles.
post #23 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellentinman View Post
I would love to get that sort of range. On a road trip from Arizona to California which I make frequently I cruise along Interstate 10 at 10mph below the speed limit and get an average range of around 180 miles. Since there are no fast chargers on this route between the outskirts of Phoenix and Indio, California which is a distance of 216 miles I have to stop at Blythe, CA (approximately halfway) for 2 hours to get a boost at a Level 2 charger in order to reach my destination. I have owned my vehicle since March and never got close to the Jaguar claimed range of 234 miles.
That's a common route for me as well.
Have you tried going 55mph instead to see what your range would be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excellentinman View Post
What is the outside temperature during this trip? Do you have climate control on? Or is there a lot of climbing/descending elevation? Because in MD driving 75 mph in flat highways with AC on around 85 ambient I can definitely get 230-235 mile range, and without climate I can do around 250-260. But again I am on pretty flat terrain.

Edit: what size wheels and at what PSI are you using? I have 20” wheels running at 37-38 PSI
post #25 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-12-2019, 07:14 PM

Garage
On my last trip along Interstate 10 I decided to return from California via Yuma. This adds 80 miles to the journey but there is an Electrify America DCFC on Interstate 8 which is 160 miles from the last DCFC in the Coachella Valley and then another 160 miles to the next DCFC in Buckeye. This route has very few gradients. Anyway on the leg to Yuma cruising at 65mph with the A/C on and an outside temp around 105F by the time I had driven 100 miles I could see that my range was less than the distance left to the charge station. Not wanting to turn off the A/C in that heat I reduced my speed to 50mph (not fun in an I-Pace) and just made it to the Yuma charger with 6 miles of range left. I won’t use that route option again.

Edit: I have 22” wheels running at 40psi Front and 48psi rear (Jag specs.)

Last edited by Excellentinman; 08-12-2019 at 07:20 PM.
post #26 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:19 AM

Ok want to make sure I have this right: you could NOT make 160 miles with AC at 65 with no real gradient? That doesnt sound right from my experience unless there is truly a very big difference between summer tires on 22 and the all season performance on 20s. I would expect some range loss from the higher performance tires (20 miles?) but this seems excessive.

Anyone else?
post #27 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
As of summer 2019, EA is just about the only game in town (in the U.S.) with widespread DCFC charging stations above 75kW. Do they charge a premium? Absolutely. Saying you don't like them for that reason is like saying you don't like 7-11 for charging $1.89 for a bottle of grab-n-go, ice cold water you can get for $0.25 at the grocery store (bulk wrapped, room temperature). I'm quite thankful EA exists today - they represent the 'supercharging station' for non-Tesla owners. Used sparingly, the premium price is inconsequential. I do look forward to more stations (and more competition) for those (relatively rare) times I really want to fill up away from home in under an hour. Still hopeful JLR will continue incremental bumps of the I-Pace charging rate (above 100kW) with software updates. If they can get to 150kW, it would charge the 90kW battery in under an hour, even accounting for the tapering of rate above 80%.

Well, my previous post explained more why I don't like them. It is more about how inconsistent the charging experience is, like pulling in to a station with 3 out of 4 chargers out of service, and the only other one working after 5 tries and a call to their 800 number. I would be less bothered by the premium prices if it were a premium experience. But you're right, for now they are all we have.
post #28 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:21 PM

Garage
My range experience is somewhat similar to yours, epirali (maybe because we live in the same area). Drove 95 miles on Saturday to Winchester, VA (20" wheels, low 90s temp, elevation change from 50' to about 2000' and down to 900', 20% of drive between 35-45 mph and the rest mostly with the ACC set to 75 mph) and made it with 55% battery remaining. Drove back a different route (80 miles and speeds averaging 75 mph for most of the drive except the last 10 miles when I drove between 35-40 mph) and made it back home with 22% battery remaining. By my calculation that gives me a range of 211 miles for the first trip profile and a range of 242 miles for the second. That falls right about in line with what I see for my daily commute 220-230 mile range.

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019
post #29 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:36 PM

Garage
Forgot to mention that I had the AC set to 75 degrees for the entire trip and used cooled seats for about 20% of the time.

HSE | Caesium Blue/Siena Tan | 20" Style 5068 wheels | Received 01/09/2019
post #30 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
Ok want to make sure I have this right: you could NOT make 160 miles with AC at 65 with no real gradient? That doesnt sound right from my experience unless there is truly a very big difference between summer tires on 22 and the all season performance on 20s. I would expect some range loss from the higher performance tires (20 miles?) but this seems excessive.

Anyone else?
Yeah, 160 feels very 'lite' to me. Driving in FL with 90 deg temps I HAVE to use AC, and have found if "tight" I can use a little less AC and a little more seat cooling. Nonetheless, I don't have any problem tackling 180 mi range at 75mph with AC (set to 3). Reminder: Florida is quite flat.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page