Initial highway range ...my estimates - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
@sciencegeek : I am still on the 18D/14.1 software but if I don't vary my driving style I am finding the GOM to be slightly pessimistic to what I can really do. So I am curious what the difference is. It seems to pretty much pad the range by around 10-20 miles specially on longer drives (60 miles+).
I wasn't talking about the GoM but about the OP's "miles/kWh" column in his spreadsheet
The GoM tends to be pretty good except at the low or high ends of SoC
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
It gets 190-210mi. for max range for ALL HWY driving (Comfort mode, A/C on, seat ventilation on, cruise control mostly on) & 220-240 mi. max range City...that's been my experience driving mostly hwy miles since 12/1/18.
Another Floridian chiming in here... just passed 1200 mi on my second I-Pace (with 5k on my first and an 1800 mi month in a loaner FE, so 8000 mi of driving experience with 3 separate I-Pace vehicles - none having any defects, for those of you thinking OMG why 3 in 9 months - it was a post-purchase intolerance of nighttime visibility through the heated windshield). Bottom line: I concur 100% with sflgator on range: 190-210 highway, 220-240 city. With 50/50 hwy/city my GoM seems to camp out around 215. I, too, seem to be experiencing slightly lower range during the heat of the FL summer due to more extensive use of HVAC and cooled seats than I was in the Dec - April timeframe. Or maybe its the extensive use of windshield wipers during notoriously heavy FL rain in July/Aug??
sflgator, epirali and Sbingham60 like this.
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:46 AM

We took an 800 mile round trip last weekend in Iowa/Missouri, with temp around 85. Our range was around 220 miles driving all highway at around 70mph.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath_h View Post
We took an 800 mile round trip last weekend in Iowa/Missouri, with temp around 85. Our range was around 220 miles driving all highway at around 70mph.
Sounds like a good trip. What was your experience with charging locations and speed/capacity of chargers along the route? I find a more 50Kw than higher speed fast chargers.
70 MPH seems to get pretty good mileage, at around 200 miles. When I push to 80 MPH for long Highway trips the distance can drop between 180 and 190 miles.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Sounds like a good trip. What was your experience with charging locations and speed/capacity of chargers along the route? I find a more 50Kw than higher speed fast chargers.
70 MPH seems to get pretty good mileage, at around 200 miles. When I push to 80 MPH for long Highway trips the distance can drop between 180 and 190 miles.
Quick update/clarification (and concurrence with Sbingham60): my "highway" miles are generally with cruise control at 80, and there is nonlinear dropoff of range as speeds rise above 70. You can count on 200mi at 70mph, but lose up to another 10% (down to 180-185mi) at 80mph.
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post

My experience charging along the way was at Electrify America stations. The first one we rolled in to Kansas City from Des Moines on only about 11 miles left. Typical of my experience at EA stations--total frustration. I think every time but 1 we have used EA, we have to goof around for a half hour to 45 minutes before we can get a station to function. It usually involves a call in to their customer service. In this case, 3 of 4 chargers were out of service, and the 1 functioning station kept adding about 1 kw and then shutting down. Sigh. Wish they were better. Power would peak at 101kw initially before quickly dropping off. Most of the charge seemed to be in the 40-60kw range. Due to their new pricing structure, charging with them costs more than using gasoline. We hit 2 other stations on our trip, with somewhat better results. I think it 'only' took 3 or 4 tries before we got it to work at the other stations. Sorry to sound like such a complainer, but just really frustrated w/ EA in my part of the country. The good news was the the Jaguar performed awesome, and lots of folks at my wife's family reunion wanted to know about the car and wanted rides. At least 1 person was sold on it and wants her own.
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 10:53 AM

How is it possible that charging is anywhere close to thee price of gas? I realize our electricity is cheap in Quebec (it costs about $6 USD to get the equivalent of a full tank of gas), but how can it go up by 10x?
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nath_h View Post
My experience charging along the way was at Electrify America stations. The first one we rolled in to Kansas City from Des Moines on only about 11 miles left. Typical of my experience at EA stations--total frustration. I think every time but 1 we have used EA, we have to goof around for a half hour to 45 minutes before we can get a station to function. It usually involves a call in to their customer service. In this case, 3 of 4 chargers were out of service, and the 1 functioning station kept adding about 1 kw and then shutting down. Sigh. Wish they were better. Power would peak at 101kw initially before quickly dropping off. Most of the charge seemed to be in the 40-60kw range. Due to their new pricing structure, charging with them costs more than using gasoline. We hit 2 other stations on our trip, with somewhat better results. I think it 'only' took 3 or 4 tries before we got it to work at the other stations. Sorry to sound like such a complainer, but just really frustrated w/ EA in my part of the country. The good news was the the Jaguar performed awesome, and lots of folks at my wife's family reunion wanted to know about the car and wanted rides. At least 1 person was sold on it and wants her own.
I would expect that between 30% state of charge and about 70% state of charge, you should have been closer to 90Kw on any charger that was over 100Kw. After 70% there is a bit of a drop to reach 80%. Then after 80%, you are better getting off the charger because the rate begins to drop off steeply. It isn't cost effective to use a fast charger to reach 100% at EA rates. It's disappointing to hear your charge rates didn't really stay above 60Kw for the bulk of the charge.

In Florida, there are quite a few 50Kw chargers via EVgo and Chargepoint. EVgo and EA also have installed 150kw and 350Kw charging stations. I've had mixed experience with EVgo, but have not tried EA yet.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-10-2019, 11:52 PM

I've used the EA station in Orlando 3 times - all flawlessly. I've stayed at 2 hotels and charged overnight at ChargePoint Chargers, with no problem. (Well, I did encounter 1 non-functioning station but just used the adjacent one.) I regularly stop at county charging stations located near regular stops and get "free" fillup (as much fillup as you can get at 20 mi/hour at 7kw station). Do I wish the I-Pace charged at 150kW? Of course. Am I satisfied with it's performance so far? Absolutely. I topped out at 75kW rate at my last EA charge, and hope to try again now with upgraded software to see if 100kW can be obtained. The EA electricity costs are most definitely higher (2-3x) than I pay at home, but represent just 2-3% of my overall charging activity and still not even close to the cost of gasoline.
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post
How is it possible that charging is anywhere close to thee price of gas? I realize our electricity is cheap in Quebec (it costs about $6 USD to get the equivalent of a full tank of gas), but how can it go up by 10x?

Charging at a EA charger costs at the least .42 cents per minute (I think .58 without their monthly membership). If you need to charge all the way to 100% for long distance highway travel, you are being charged the full rate to pump in only a relatively small amount of power as the battery tapers above 80%. So, 90 minutes on the charger at .42 is $37.80 to get me 215 miles. This is probably twice as much as gasoline, as I could have filled up a tank in a BMW 530 for about the same and gotten 400 miles. At home, entirely different situation...my overnight charge rate is .06 cents/kw. I really don't like EA.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page