Black Screen Recovery, In Flight! - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Black Screen Recovery, In Flight!

When I brought my car in for updates in mid-July, it appears a new feature might have been added.

I crashed the NAV system by not waiting for it to fully boot. It "Black Screened" both the center, and center lower screens. I touched the black screen while driving, and the Jaguar art appeared. After another minute, the wake up screen appeared, I touched it again, and the full system woke up without turning the car off, or fully charging the car.

I guess that's an improvement, but ... It's also the only Black Screen I've gotten in months. Using the NAV before it had fully locked in appeared to be what triggered it.
epirali likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 12:35 PM

Yeah, I always count slowly to ten before engaging drive. So far (4 months) never had a problem.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 11:10 PM

I don't see them black much but they have always recovered at some point if I just ignore them and drive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbillcb View Post
Yeah, I always count slowly to ten before engaging drive. So far (4 months) never had a problem.
The fact that this is necessary is so sad. If I told someone I had to do this they'd assume I drive a '95 Ford with a Gen 1 multimedia screen.
epirali likes this.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:42 AM

If you wait for the bottom screen to light up before pressing START, and wait for the top main menu screen to paint (for the Jaguar graphic to go away) before you put it in gear ... I have had ZERO issues since doing this for 6 months.

I just put my seat belt on before pressing start, and that usually takes enough time to get the bottom screen to light up.
gbillcb likes this.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 10:04 AM

Yes but can we at least all agree this is silly and really not something that anyone should experience in any car, much less a “luxury” marquee technology car?

Specially because it would take a 1-2 month focus development/testing effort to resolve these issues, and it has been going on for a long time now. Honestly this one thing is what will give me pause in considering any other Jaguar product.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Yes but can we at least all agree this is silly and really not something that anyone should experience in any car, much less a “luxury” marquee technology car?.
Sadly this seems more common than not these days. Both our Volvo and and GMC have these same sort of issues and we do basically the same thing to avoid them: wait until the splash screens have disappeared before starting, wait until bluetooth connects before plugging in our phones to CarPlay, etc.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Hit the unlock button on your key once you're in range. Sit down. Foot on the pedal. Start button. Then buckle. Then you're ready to go.

My Ram 1500, with Uconnect which is supposed to be one of the good ones, still has issues where the rear camera doesn't always come on right away. A bit of a pain when backing a big truck out of a garage. I also had to go through a week without the truck for them to get the system to connect to the cell network. They had to go through corporate to get help.

So this is all just par for the course for car electronics.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
My Ram 1500, with Uconnect which is supposed to be one of the good ones, still has issues where the rear camera doesn't always come on right away. A bit of a pain when backing a big truck out of a garage. I also had to go through a week without the truck for them to get the system to connect to the cell network. They had to go through corporate to get help.

So this is all just par for the course for car electronics.
I am not sure I agree, I have owned all kinds of cars and until the Jaguar I have not had this level of fragility and issues in any car regardless of price. Before this the "worst" issue was the maybe one out of 50 times the Bolt center display would fail to turn on, and there was a manual reset that restored it. They fixed that in the next firmware update.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-02-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
I am not sure I agree, I have owned all kinds of cars and until the Jaguar I have not had this level of fragility and issues in any car regardless of price. Before this the "worst" issue was the maybe one out of 50 times the Bolt center display would fail to turn on, and there was a manual reset that restored it. They fixed that in the next firmware update.
I seem to remember startup issues sometimes on the Spark EV as well. I'm not saying that the JLR system is good. It's obviously shite. I'm just saying that shite seems par for the course across brands. I'll be using the truck today, after a week or so of sitting. For sure I'll unlock it long before I get in.

Besides, we already have to unlock the ipace to take the charging cable out. Perhaps that's intentional?

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page