Black Screen Recovery, In Flight! - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackgary View Post
I am really just appreciating the engineering effort that is there and trying to offer some balance to what otherwise comes across as a complete disaster.
The effort for fully connected functionality of InTouch Pro is headed in the right direction, but the current implementation is really buggy.
I don't think it is as bad as the early FordSynch problems, but there are enough points of frustration to make one swear out loud when then happen.

When the infotainment is running well.. It is really pretty good. Could use some more UI design, but it can be pretty good.

Until we get a few more updates that actually improve the Infotainment software, I'm not willing to say they are making progress yet. I do want the most recent S19A update as it will fix voice issues when receiving calls for Apple CarPlay. It should also load a bit faster. Also, when SOTA is working more consistently, then I'll be happy to say things are in the right direction.

For comparison in the current batch of infotainment systems, I drive a number of rentals on business trips. FordSynch works flawlessly now. Whatever Nissan calls their infotainment works great. Toyota mTune is a big improvement over their prior infotainment, and it works quick and flawless. It needs a better UI, but it works. None of those three have loading problems and none have given me a blue screen. The two that work with CarPlay work great, without call handling problems.

The point is that JLR is on the right track but really behind the larger auto makers in functionality and reliability. So let's see where SOTA updates get us.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-08-2019, 06:35 PM

I remember how BMW was slammed for it's early iDrive system and I test drove a Cadillac with the 1st generation CUE that was so bad I didn't consider buying it no matter how good the car was. I guess I need to keep things in perspective when frustrated about Touch Pro Duo.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 08-09-2019, 07:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to outbackgary
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
The effort for fully connected functionality of InTouch Pro is headed in the right direction, but the current implementation is really buggy.
I don't think it is as bad as the early FordSynch problems, but there are enough points of frustration to make one swear out loud when then happen.

When the infotainment is running well.. It is really pretty good. Could use some more UI design, but it can be pretty good.

Until we get a few more updates that actually improve the Infotainment software, I'm not willing to say they are making progress yet. I do want the most recent S19A update as it will fix voice issues when receiving calls for Apple CarPlay. It should also load a bit faster. Also, when SOTA is working more consistently, then I'll be happy to say things are in the right direction.

For comparison in the current batch of infotainment systems, I drive a number of rentals on business trips. FordSynch works flawlessly now. Whatever Nissan calls their infotainment works great. Toyota mTune is a big improvement over their prior infotainment, and it works quick and flawless. It needs a better UI, but it works. None of those three has loading problems and none have given me a blue screen. The two that work with CarPlay work great, without call handling problems.

The point is that JLR is on the right track but really behind the larger automakers in functionality and reliability. So let's see where SOTA updates get us.
I'm not familiar with the infotainment on the vehicles mentioned here and I'm curious as to the depth of features that they offer in comparison to the I-Pace. I have just stepped out of a 2018 Porsche Macan S. I would say by comparison that the Macan is 1/3 as complex as the I-Pace but the implementation of the UI is superb. I had a 2019 loaner Macan while mine was in for service and the infotainment on that vehicle has definitely moved ahead. Great response time, well organised and more features than the 2018 model but not as deep as the I-Pace.

I too am hopeful that the I-Pace will improve over time.

By the way, the I-Pace is a far more exhilarating drive around town where the unfussed and silent power wins me over. I would say that the cars are much on par for highway driving except of course for range. However, the I-Pace wins for me as 95% of my time driving is in urban and short-range rural areas.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page