Is Gas VS Electric Cost Saving Overhyped - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 02:47 PM

Funny that none of the responses here reflect what is supposed to be the big deal - we're supposed to be saving the planet right? For me, I just love rarely going to the pump in my ELR, not polluting and when I do buy gas I would much rather be paying my local power company than OPEC for those first fifty miles of range I get, even if power and gas were the same price. I sit in traffic all the time, so it's awesome not using any gas when I'm just sitting or creeping, all the while getting air conditioning and using my car stereo for all my phone calls (all of my recent cars have excellent sounding phone calling, and it helps when you're getting hard of hearing). All in all, personally I really don't care how much power costs as long as it's not more than gas if I can drive silently and not screw up the air. But that's just me.
epirali and gbillcb like this.

2017 FPace - S Odyssey Red, black blades, black pack
2007 XK coupe in Black w Carelia wheels
2016 Cadillac ELR
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
The way to make money with an EV:

Have a business, or attend classes that are required for work.
Buy a used EV for ~$10,000.
Drive it as often as possible.
Take the $0.58/mile IRS mileage allowance. Pay $0.04 per mile for electricity.
Drive 11k deductible miles Year One.
Drive 11k deductible miles Year Two.
Pocket over $5000 a year for year 3, 4 and 5. Sell car, purchase new one.

OR as others have said, get solar panels and pay nothing for the electricity for the EV; in fact, sell it back to the utility company to actually make a little or break even on electric utility costs. Of course, the upfront costs of the solar panels are a lot, but it takes a few years to break even from what I've heard.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 04:53 PM

@deafsoundguy : the great thing about EVs is that it really covers ALL of those. I don't pick them for any of the reasons given, I do it for all. It really does feel strange now to pull into a gas station and pump gas, because when you don't do it for long periods of time all of a sudden you realize how strange it is to pull in, stick a hose in your car, and pour dead animals to burn as a mode of transportation...

And honestly as much as I love my Alfa the main reason I don't drive it as often is how loud it is. Yes I am one of those people, I am an audio guy. I don't love wearing earplugs or an engine screaming at me for more than 20 minutes at a time...
deafsoundguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 06:04 PM

I do it 'cuz it's a fun experience. Y'all can have your other ideals. It doesn't interest me, and it's why I don't go to NDEW events anymore. I have nothing in common with most of those people, save for a select few who see it for what it really is.

P.S. We don't use OPEC oil here much. Canada provides us with way more oil than OPEC, and the way we frack now we may not be much interested in Canada's oil either.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
@deafsoundguy : the great thing about EVs is that it really covers ALL of those. I don't pick them for any of the reasons given, I do it for all. It really does feel strange now to pull into a gas station and pump gas, because when you don't do it for long periods of time all of a sudden you realize how strange it is to pull in, stick a hose in your car, and pour dead animals to burn as a mode of transportation...

And honestly as much as I love my Alfa the main reason I don't drive it as often is how loud it is. Yes I am one of those people, I am an audio guy. I don't love wearing earplugs or an engine screaming at me for more than 20 minutes at a time...

Yeah I don't know what happened but I turned 60 and all of a sudden I just hate loud noisy cars. All day and night I have to listen to morons using our through street for their local freeway. I don't need to hear testosterone enhancing exhaust anymore, I just don't care... I'm all about appreciation of the technology using electric, when I want to go electric and knowing gravity is putting energy into my battery rather than my foot grinding away at my brake pads! I live in a hilly area so feeling regen just does it for me where loud exhaust used to...

@ epirali - ha! not many Alfa nuts around... brother had a '67 Duetto Spyder and my Dad completely restored down to the last nut and bolt a '66 Duetto Spyder - better than new when he was done. He really loved that car...I couldn't get my **** legs under the steering wheel! Made for little Italian guys for sure
epirali likes this.

2017 FPace - S Odyssey Red, black blades, black pack
2007 XK coupe in Black w Carelia wheels
2016 Cadillac ELR
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:26 PM

@deafsoundguy : try sitting in a real British roadster sometime...my 6’3” friends head sticks out a few inches...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page