18" vs 20" wheels - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

18" vs 20" wheels

I am considering getting an i-pace. Anyone know if there is any discernible difference in range between the 18" vs 20" wheels?

I have read in some reviews that the 20" wheels make for a harder / stiffer ride. I am looking for a softer ride (2 car seats in the back).
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:23 PM

Get the 20 inch. The 18 inch has too much rubber for side-wall. I wish I got the 20s.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:41 PM

Are the 22s an option for you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnumrao View Post
I am considering getting an i-pace. Anyone know if there is any discernible difference in range between the 18" vs 20" wheels?

I have read in some reviews that the 20" wheels make for a harder / stiffer ride. I am looking for a softer ride (2 car seats in the back).
Yes there is; about 20 miles less with 20s and another 5 miles less with 22s.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:24 PM

Quote:

Don't have the I-Pace yet but 10 years of EV experience. The 18" wheels show Michelin LATITUDE TOUR HP 235/65R18 as factory. 20" is 245/50R20, and 22" a sticky Pirelli Pzero 255/40R22. In general, the smaller the contact patch the lower the rolling resistance. And smaller diameter rims tend to deliver a smoother ride as taller sidewall has more flex.

You need to decide what is most important to you. the Michelin latitude is a LRR tire so less friction which also translates to nominally lower traction. I have found LRR tires less desirable in wet conditions, but continue to run them on the Bolt as they work fine in our dry climate.

We ordered the 20" because the I-Pace suspension is nicely tuned and the 20" seemed a good compromise between ride and performance. We also liked the look of the 20" 2068 wheel. But if my use case regularly required the EPA range, I would have ordered the 18". That size also seems to have more LRR tire options. Shifting from Michelin Energy Saver to Michelin Premier on the Fit EV and C-Max Energi cost about 7% in range (but wet traction was better), so tire choice has an effect too.

With so many new DC Fast Charge sites coming on line, I'm less concerned with range than I used to be (a virtual non issue these days).
epirali and gbillcb like this.

- 2009 BMW MINI E > 2013 Honda Fit EV > 2017 Chevy Bolt EV
- 2013 Ford C-Max Energi > 2020 Jaguar I-Pace HSE

Last edited by keijidosha; 07-23-2019 at 10:27 PM.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:

The SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR in I-Pace ride 'softness' is the tire pressure. Use the "light load" setting (for 1-3 passengers with no significant cargo) and set all 4 tire pressures to 37psi. the car comes with MUCH higher pressures (up to 51psi) for shipping reasons and they often forget to 'soften' them.

Makes a HUGE difference!
keijidosha likes this.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:45 PM

Only thing Ill add is 22s may be a little too stiff for daily and the handling improvements unless you plan to drive hard may not be worth it. Also depending on Plymouth consider tire options with the 22 for winter. The I Pace is my winter car so I went with the 20s.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 11:08 PM

I have the 22s, been driving on them 7 months. Once I learned/set the tire pressure to 37psi, I have been very pleased with the ride. Never driven on the 20s or 18s because the look of the 22s won me over immediately. Also, I don't buy into the notion that I've lost 20-25 miles of range by going with the 22s. At 100% SOC I see anwhere from 205mi of range (if lots of recent highway driving at 75-85mph) up to 236mi (if recently mostly in town driving). And with tire pressures set to 37psi I'm MAXIMIZING the rolling resistance (and minimizing mileage) with the lowest rated pressure.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
I have the 22s, been driving on them 7 months. Once I learned/set the tire pressure to 37psi, I have been very pleased with the ride. Never driven on the 20s or 18s because the look of the 22s won me over immediately. Also, I don't buy into the notion that I've lost 20-25 miles of range by going with the 22s. At 100% SOC I see anwhere from 205mi of range (if lots of recent highway driving at 75-85mph) up to 236mi (if recently mostly in town driving). And with tire pressures set to 37psi I'm MAXIMIZING the rolling resistance (and minimizing mileage) with the lowest rated pressure.
I think the big differences are in a regime where there is a fair amount of acceleration and deceleration, such as lots of stops and starts or 'spirited' driving. Given your quoted ranges you're probably a fairly conservative driver, where the inefficiency of larger wheels is not quite as great ... but it still exists.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-24-2019, 09:46 AM

I'm completely fine with the 22 inches too. It probably depends on the road conditions where you live as much as anything, as well as your prior car history. Having come out of a line of sport cars and sport bikes... the ride on the 22" wheels is fine by me as long as the tire pressures are kept more in the 37 psi comfort range and squeezing every possible kilowatt hour out of the car isn't a big deal to you. If I were concerned about squeezing every single dime out of an EV I wouldn't have picked a $90k car to do it in. I'm in Central Texas so the roads here don't suffer from too much winter damage.

I think the larger 20 or 22" wheels are one of the things that cause the car to appear to have more of a show-car look. Someone even asked if it was a concept car, I think partially due to the 22" carbon-fiber trimmed wheels he kept ogling.

The safest thing to do is to test drive any combinations you are considering, and possibly asking them to allow you to set the PSI down to comfort range for the drive regardless of which wheel/tire you try.

If 22 inchers are just too far a push for you, then I'd have absolutely no doubt that 20 inchers would be just fine.

Last edited by StormRune; 07-24-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page