Just swapped 2019 FE for a 2020 HSE - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Just swapped 2019 FE for a 2020 HSE

After driving a 2019 FE for the past 7 months (trouble-free, I might add, other than a couple of 'glitches' that resolved with an on/off power cycle), I just today took delivery of a fully-loaded 2020 HSE. (Read my prior posts about my post-purchase discovery and intolerance of the heated windshield nighttime visibility, and months-long indecision and flip-flopping by JLR on whether they could just swap out the windshield for a non-heated version, first ordering me one, then ultimately refusing to allow dealer to install it, leading to a replacement car order.) Literally just got the new vehicle today, so still too early to notice any real differences.

Basically a FE without the FE branding; only changes I made in re-ordering were:
- Got rid of the heated windshield!
- Changed paint from Santorini Black (taken off showroom floor) to Narvik Black (preferred)
- Substituted "Jaguar" illuminated treadplates for the "First Edition" etched ones
- Added the "cooled glovebox" (oh, why not? I hate melted protein bars)
- I (again) had the dealer paint the rear license plate area to match body - (detested the plastic look there)

I got the very first 2020 I-Pace my dealership received, maybe even the first in Florida. Still plenty of 2019s in inventory nationwide, but I (re)ordered mine April 18 and JLR had already cut over production to MY20 (build date May 17). Took just 70 days (JLR expedited) to arrive June 28, but it sat another 3 weeks while we 'worked' through the trade details.

FYI, software version of MY20 at delivery: S_19A, and Telematics Version 16.2. It appears OTA software updates are enabled...? When I click update... it checks, then says "Software up to date" (not *real* proof of it working, however). When I do same for Telematics, I get a slightly different message: "No update available."

I went through all the thumbwheel menus and nothing has changed from 2019 model. I haven't setup phone or a profile yet since I'm getting a new phone this week and didn't want to unnecessarily "confuse" the car.

I ordered mine custom, but dealers are still discounting the inventoried MY2019's substantially, including attractive lease deals. No rebates or discounts on the 2020s.

Lastly, a shameless plug for Crown Jaguar St. Petersburg! (Florida) They've been awesome throughout this ordeal despite JLR corporate's shenanigans on the windshield issue. They do very large volume, ship all over the country, and have won the Pride of Jaguar Retailer Excellence award for like 9 years in a row! Mike Donovan is their top I-Pace salesman, complete with (authentic) British accent.
McRat, jsimon7777, epirali and 2 others like this.
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 06:15 PM

Care to disclose the price difference between trade-in value vs original price for FE 2019?
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 11:34 PM

So all FEs come with the heated windshield?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reno1 View Post
Care to disclose the price difference between trade-in value vs original price for FE 2019?
Out of courtesy to the dealer who really went to bat for me I'd rather not publish the gory details. This was no ordinary "trade-in" anyway - there were many mitigating factors. JLR gave me (and the dealer) an epic runaround as they could not decide whether to 'attempt' (their first) a windshield swap (non-heated for heated). In the end, the dealer contributed, JLR contributed, and I coughed up a bit to make it work - after all I got 7 months use (about 8k miles) of a 2019 FE before 'starting over' with a 2020 model. Honestly, it was such a PITA that I would have much rather just swapped windshields back in Jan or even better, known in advance that the heated windshield wouldn't work for me and simply bought a different car last December, but hindsight is 20/20. (Test drive at night, anyone??)

Yes, #PS702, all FEs have the heated windshield (unfortunately). I'm in Florida with no use for it, and the nighttime visibility impact (glare/diffraction) from oncoming headlights (and any other bright lights) was unacceptable to me.

Last edited by dtgsrq; 07-21-2019 at 06:19 AM.
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PS702 View Post
Yes, thats also why I passed on my FE and custom ordered.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
Quote:
Yes, that’s also why I passed on my FE and custom ordered.
From what I'm reading about that heated windshield, it wouldn't work for me either.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:

From what I'm reading about that heated windshield, it wouldn't work for me either.
If you live anywhere that you deal with frost/freezing rain/snow, I would try it first before disregarding the option completely.

I’ve driven many cars with heated windshield and have never had it bother me.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:55 AM

It really does seem to come down to the individual. Congrats on your new new cars! Glad you're happy.
epirali likes this.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:15 PM

I have the heated windshield and see no problems with it all. But I live in the sticks and don't have to deal with streets crowded with oncoming commuter traffic.
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 04:31 PM

The heated windshield does produce a noticeable visual effect. I can see why people are bothered by this especially in high traffic and brightly lit areas. I've worn glasses for so long and any distortion drives me crazy but I haven't been bothered by the windshield yet. My wife on the other hand.....

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page