Just swapped 2019 FE for a 2020 HSE - Page 3 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:11 PM

I can't imagine anyone missing it. It is pretty obvious when driving at night or towards the sun at sunset. I wear glasses but will try to remove them to see if it contributes to the effect. I can see how it can be distracting to some and I've had a couple of times when an oncoming car hits just the right angle for it to actually obstruct my view enough to reflexively let go of the accelerator.
epirali likes this.
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:20 PM
MyA

There is got to be a strange combination between one’s eyes and glasses and the windshield.

I had the same heated windshield on my F-Type.
Still have it on the I-Pace.
I wear glasses all the time.

And I can’t barely see it.....

Or maybe the wiring to the occipital lobes?!!
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post
I can't imagine anyone missing it. It is pretty obvious when driving at night or towards the sun at sunset. I wear glasses but will try to remove them to see if it contributes to the effect. I can see how it can be distracting to some and I've had a couple of times when an oncoming car hits just the right angle for it to actually obstruct my view enough to reflexively let go of the accelerator.
Two of my loaner cars had the same windshield - an F-Pace and Evoque - so I assume that many drivers have the same distortion. Have other drivers complained and if so, why hasn't JLR changed the windshield?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-26-2019, 11:57 PM Thread Starter

I'm pleased to see so much discussion and debate about the topic... my prime hope is that this attention will help future buyers make a well-informed decision about the heated windshield. There *is* distortion, and the question is simply whether it is enough to bother you? While there is some OCD-like annoyance in being able to see the embedded wires in daylight, most can tolerate them during the day. It is the oncoming light diffraction, at night when visibility is more difficult to begin with, that poses the biggest impact to clear vision.

Many people feel the advantage/benefit (melting ice off their windshield more easily) outweighs any distortion. I'm in Florida, so the feature had no corresponding benefit to offset the disadvantage (it simply came as part of a fully-loaded First Edition). I just didn't catch it until 2 1/2 weeks into ownership on a night drive. However, my biggest concern is that owners make an "under-informed" decision by failing to TEST DRIVE AT NIGHT when the distortion is most apparent (and frankly, who does this??). Even then, they would have to face significant oncoming traffic and bright lights to catch it at its worst... you won't really notice it driving around in a dark parking lot or empty street. Add in some rain for maximum distortion.

Even more frustrating was that it was not just a costly change, it became an irreversible option: JLR flip flopped on whether they could just replace the windshield, and after ordering one for me and vacillating for 3 months on whether to allow the dealer to install it, they ultimately decided it was "too risky" in that the electronics may not properly handle the windshield substitution. So it required trading in the car.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Even more frustrating was that it was not just a costly change, it became an irreversible option: JLR flip flopped on whether they could just replace the windshield, and after ordering one for me and vacillating for 3 months on whether to allow the dealer to install it, they ultimately decided it was "too risky" in that the electronics may not properly handle the windshield substitution. So it required trading in the car.
When you first posted that JLR decided against swapping out the windshield I didn't understand their decision. I understand their concerns - sort of - but believe it was worth a try and if something happened then go back to stock. Putting you through the process of changing the car seems insensitive without an effort to rectify the situation.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyA View Post
There is got to be a strange combination between one’s eyes and glasses and the windshield.

I had the same heated windshield on my F-Type.
Still have it on the I-Pace.
I wear glasses all the time.

And I can’t barely see it.....

Or maybe the wiring to the occipital lobes?!!
I don't think it is vision processing thing. You can see a diffraction effect (separating the wavelengths) so it is definitely how the incoming light interacts with the glass and the grating. How your brian deals with it is another matter entirely (vision processing and something called executive function).

Other than the one or two times where I felt it was annoying (the same level as a dirty windshield in winter), I can live with it and hopefully the benefit of a fog-free windshield this winter will more than make up for it.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcomeau View Post
I don't think it is vision processing thing. You can see a diffraction effect (separating the wavelengths) so it is definitely how the incoming light interacts with the glass and the grating. How your brian deals with it is another matter entirely (vision processing and something called executive function).

Other than the one or two times where I felt it was annoying (the same level as a dirty windshield in winter), I can live with it and hopefully the benefit of a fog-free windshield this winter will more than make up for it.
I don't notice the effect until my wife mentions it and I pull my gaze from down the road back onto the windshield. Even during the day if I look away from the road and at the windshield I can see the heating elements. I'll sit as a passenger one night and adjust my gaze and remove my glasses to determine a way to minimize the distortion.
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 10:09 AM

I have had 3 Jags over the years all with the heated windshield and really missed it when I had a BMW for a few years. While I can see it when looking for it, I have never experienced the distracting nature as described by the original poster. I think it is how if you subliminally see something like genitalia in a painting, it sort of ruins it for you as you can never un-see it for the rest of your life.

I live in Canada so the heated windshield is an awesome feature I wouldn’t want to live without.
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I have had 3 Jags over the years all with the heated windshield and really missed it when I had a BMW for a few years. While I can see it when looking for it, I have never experienced the distracting nature as described by the original poster. I think it is how if you subliminally see something like genitalia in a painting, it sort of ruins it for you as you can never un-see it for the rest of your life. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forum/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I live in Canada so the heated windshield is an awesome feature I wouldn’t want to live without.
I subliminally see my Catholic school nuns ... The horror, the horror.... ��
PGhiron likes this.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 07-27-2019, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
I have had 3 Jags over the years all with the heated windshield and really missed it when I had a BMW for a few years. While I can see it when looking for it, I have never experienced the distracting nature as described by the original poster. I think it is how if you subliminally see something like genitalia in a painting, it sort of ruins it for you as you can never un-see it for the rest of your life.

HI,

Juts to be clear, I am ok with it, but still curious. I have a physics and biomedical/neuroscience background, so this effect touches on many areas of curiosity for me. Photons hitting a diffraction grating. Maybe some of us who can change our focal distance a bit quicker (eye ball biology), or our brains catch the pattern more (psychophysics of pattern recognition of streaks, genitalia or nuns) so our attention gaze might be twitchier.

Where in Canada is the "other" iPace (I have only seen one in Montreal so far)?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page