Hot Weather=Slower Home Charge Rate - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:18 PM Thread Starter

Hot Weather=Slower Home Charge Rate

Temperatures reached 100F today. Took I-Pace for drive and plugged in home charger
after getting home. Temp. in garage was 98. Noted it started charging at 7.3 amps.
After 2 hrs. 15 minutes noticed on ChargePoint app that graph of charge current had dropped
down to 5.8 amps. The SOC was at 76% and mileage of 199 miles.
The left side of hood was also hot. Don't know battery temp of course.
Stopped charge as a caution. So how to charge to 100% if needed?
All charging is with AC home charger, don't know about fast DC charging.

Anyone else having charging problems in this heat wave?

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior Clear Bra Ceramic Coat
20" Wheels Mud Flaps Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:48 PM

Part of why your charge rate goes down is because some of the power is being used to cool the battery. I live where it's over 100 for months at a time (Phoenix). I'm doing most of my charging at night, but it's still over 100 in my garage all night.

But, I usually restrict my charging time to keep my battery charged at 75% instead of 100%.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:10 AM

Doesn't sound like a physical problem to me. If Chargepoint reports 5.8 kW that's what the car is getting. It can do with that whatever it wishes, including cooling the battery. I've had throttling from the car within the first 20 min ever since I bought a 7kW cable. I unplug, plug back in, sometimes with locking / unlocking, and then it keeps charging at 32 amps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:29 AM

I'm in Florida with 90+ degree temps about 70 days out of the last 6 months and the garage does not cool down. My garage will be above 90 degrees when the car is charging.
I had a similar concern about temps as the State of Charge got closer to 100%. There is high thermal activity while the car is cooling the battery and other components. The heat moving out of the battery creates hot spots in the Frunk, the front quarter panels, and the wheel wells. Then everything cools down. As Sciencegeek says, you may need to watch the rate over the entire cycle as the car might not accept a higher rate during a cooling cycle. I have another post showing the hot spot locations during charging. Pretty comfortable with the behavior now.

You'll want to watch for a while in case you do have some anomaly, but it is more likely you are seeing normal behavior. When in doubt, contact the help line or your dealer.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 07:03 AM

Also in Florida - hot temps and even hotter garages are the norm, but having the I-Pace has heated my garage even more! Fortunately I park right next to a Heat Pump Water Heater that uses that heat to heat my water and simultaneously cools the garage. Now if only I could move my pool Heat Pump into the Garage!
Concur that it MUST be using some of that energy to cool the battery... at times the I-Pace fans run louder than an idling ICE vehicle!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 12:43 PM

I too live in FL and have experienced hot garage, hot hood, hot air blowing out of the top of the left front wheel well, loud fan, and dips in charge speed. This stuff didn't happen in the winter or spring. I have a JuiceBox so it probably is the car defending itself from the heat. I was in the habit of charging immediately following 30+ miles of driving, but started delaying it about 3 hours and that seems to allow it to hold the > 7 kW charge rate for the whole charge. The garage still gets warm and the car's fan still runs periodically, but both seem less extreme.

Side Note: I hope to actually see another I-Pace on the road one day, so I'm glad there are at least two other ones in FL.
dtgsrq likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 01:11 PM

Might want to consider what we do on dynos as an experiment. We put fan(s) in front of the car so the heat exchangers act like the car is moving. A little airflow makes a big difference. The fastest I charge my I-Pace during the day is 3.6 kW due to power tariff restrictions. All of my 32a AC charging is done at night.

What is puzzling, is that I've charged at over 80 kW in over 100F heat in the desert at CCS3 (EA/EVgo) sites.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 07-21-2019 at 01:14 PM.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
What is puzzling, is that I've charged at over 80 kW in over 100F heat in the desert at CCS3 (EA/EVgo) sites.
Yup same here. There is something funky about level 2 charging by the i-Pace.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Yup same here. There is something funky about level 2 charging by the i-Pace.
That is what I was thinking. I charged again L2 in the garage, about 3 hours into charge cycle power
dropping to 6.5 amps at 4hrs 12 min. and 95% SOC. Temperature in 80s but not too hot.
So I don't think battery temp could raise much if only charging at L2 rate.

If McRat says fast DC charging works, then L2 onboard charger might be the weak link.

I am thinking the onboard charger is heating up and current limiting. no way of knowing without
temp. data or info on how the on board charger is designed.
This design feature owners should know about and have to understand and work with.
Weren't there testing done at JLR, as this temp. and charging would be a very common environment for
owners in the US and other warm climates.

Only other unknown is my chargepoint home charge unit.

Jaguar I-Pace SE Borasco Grey Mars Red Interior Clear Bra Ceramic Coat
20" Wheels Mud Flaps Meridian Surround Sound Driver Assist Pack

Last edited by Meldev##44; 07-21-2019 at 09:11 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:36 PM

Aha. We may be onto something here. I've posted this in other threads but for context I'll repeat it here.

[BTW, you mean 7.3 kW correct? Not 7.3 amps? 240V * 32 amp = 7.2 kW charger]

I have a persistent issue with Level2 charging from a NEMA 14-50 outlet (50 amp circuit breaker). I plug it in and it starts charging at 32 amps. Several minutes in it starts to throttle to lower and lower amps. After one hour it may be at 22 amps. After several hours, we're down to 8 amps. This is 100% reproducible at home. Also reproducible is that once you go through some lock/unlock and plug in / unplug gymnastics it stays at 32 amps. I've attributed this to some idiosyncratic interaction between i-Pace and my generic charging cable. Point of note: this it totally independent of temperature.

In addition, I've also had this happen once on a ChargePoint public Level 2 charger at a hotel. I wake up in the morning, expecting 100%, and I got 75%. Bummer. Departure delayed.

So there may be a general problem if you also experience this with another home charging system. But I don't know if there are any others here who have experienced this. So far, no takers, even though I've mentioned it a couple of times in different threads.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page