In for service for 4 weeks - what now? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

In for service for 4 weeks - what now?

My I-Pace has been at the dealership for 4 weeks. Went in for a variety of things including front dampeners, regen recall, and software updates. The one that is the sticking point is a slight "clunk" when starting from a full stop. Long story short, dealer hasn't been able to identify the cause, and is now working with Jaguar which I assume will only prolong the process. I have had a loaner (Discovery Sport) for the entire time period. Unfortunately, there is no target date/end in sight for me to get my car back. What are my options?

- be patient and wait, it'll take the time that it takes.

- start discussing a replacement car

- ask for monetary compensation of some type (difference between monthly payment on a Discovery Sport vs. I-Pace for example)

Thoughts or advice? Thanks.
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 11:15 PM

Can you explain the clunk a bit more? I sometimes have a little clunk when I take off from a light too..

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 01:01 AM

Yeah in Dynamic mode you get a clunk when you put the pedal down from a stop. You can avoid it even in Dynamic mode when you press gently but then what's the point. It's possible your throttle response is off ... how is the throttle otherwise?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by piekas View Post
My I-Pace has been at the dealership for 4 weeks. Went in for a variety of things including front dampeners, regen recall, and software updates. The one that is the sticking point is a slight "clunk" when starting from a full stop. Long story short, dealer hasn't been able to identify the cause, and is now working with Jaguar which I assume will only prolong the process. I have had a loaner (Discovery Sport) for the entire time period. Unfortunately, there is no target date/end in sight for me to get my car back. What are my options?

- be patient and wait, it'll take the time that it takes.

- start discussing a replacement car

- ask for monetary compensation of some type (difference between monthly payment on a Discovery Sport vs. I-Pace for example)

Thoughts or advice? Thanks.
4 weeks is a long time and getting pretty close to lemon law limits in most states.
If your order wasn't a custom order, you might consider a replacement carif the dealer can find a vehicle with similar specs in inventory. Otherwise you have to go through an order cycle. You should probably start discussing this with the dealer and get the regional or national service manager involved. At the very least, you need to have this request documented.

If you are patient and then definitely see if they will waive payments for a month or two depending upon time you have been without your car. It really doesn't matter that a loaner was provided. You are not getting full use of the car you bought.

I think you have passed the patience level. Please also keep us posted on your service experience whatever you decide.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 07:22 PM

I'm in a similar boat (although not quite as bad) in that in 4 months it's been in service 4 times....usually for anywhere from 3-5 days, but this latest time they've had it for 13 days now, apparently due to the inability of the car to update software without crashing. They're now replacing the entire Infotainment Master Controller. No known estimated completion date. Once they call me to tell me the car is ready I'm going to ask about how to file a claim with JLR for some kind of reimbursement for time lost using the vehicle. The service manager told me this is possible but we didn't get into specifics at the time. $10 says when I get it back they My EV Panel still won't reliably load haha.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
Can you explain the clunk a bit more? I sometimes have a little clunk when I take off from a light too..
From a complete stop, when accelerating normally, there's a soft "clunk" that can be felt/heard. That's the only time, in my case that it occurs. As of right now, the dealership agrees that it's there but has been unable to pinpoint and is working with the factory to determine the cause. Currently they are looking at frame welds and subframe assembly bolts.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billfan View Post
I'm in a similar boat (although not quite as bad) in that in 4 months it's been in service 4 times....usually for anywhere from 3-5 days, but this latest time they've had it for 13 days now, apparently due to the inability of the car to update software without crashing. They're now replacing the entire Infotainment Master Controller. No known estimated completion date. Once they call me to tell me the car is ready I'm going to ask about how to file a claim with JLR for some kind of reimbursement for time lost using the vehicle. The service manager told me this is possible but we didn't get into specifics at the time. $10 says when I get it back they My EV Panel still won't reliably load haha.
My dealership told me to reach out to JLR corporate and open a case. I did so, opened a case, and am waiting to hear back. I requested they cover my lease payment while the car is in the the shop (4 weeks so far). We'll see what they agree to...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
4 weeks is a long time and getting pretty close to lemon law limits in most states.
If your order wasn't a custom order, you might consider a replacement carif the dealer can find a vehicle with similar specs in inventory. Otherwise you have to go through an order cycle. You should probably start discussing this with the dealer and get the regional or national service manager involved. At the very least, you need to have this request documented.

If you are patient and then definitely see if they will waive payments for a month or two depending upon time you have been without your car. It really doesn't matter that a loaner was provided. You are not getting full use of the car you bought.

I think you have passed the patience level. Please also keep us posted on your service experience whatever you decide.
Thanks for the thoughts. Agree with everything you've said. I've requested reimbursement from JLR corporate for my lease payments for the duration of the car being at the dealership. They committed to getting back to me in two business days...that will be on Tue/Wed.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 01:27 AM

I too had the same issue with the clunk. Of course the dealership could not verify, they like this so they can deny its real. I thought it might be the tow bars in the stowage area in the back, but not....Many other issues were denied as unverified but after other attempts they are now now confirmed. I started documenting with photos which helped as well.

As for customer care, the only proper way to address them is through a certified letter. I got into this loop and I am trying to re-start the process on a traceable path. They are careful to not officially respond so as to not start any clock. If you fill out a form on line, the record disappears. They do reply but give you extended hope not support. The certified letter requires them to officially respond in 40 days, else why would they? Personally I would not use the BBB Autoline as it is sponsored by the manufacturers, its third party not state admin, and they do not have to follow lemon law only consider it a guideline. If they can mediate that is OK, but likely its a waste of time. They rule 56% in favor of manufactures when used as arbitration,and their ruling is then used against you in courts as evidence. I tried them and they just claim the manufacturer has not responded there is nothing they can do. WOW what a help.

BTW...mine is out of service now for 57 days out of 100 and they still refuse to repurchase or even officially respond. It remains in the shop now for the brake squeal issue which they verified but Jaguar has denied as out of warranty with only 1200 miles most of which was returning to the dealership for repair. Others have commented about the same issues with a grinding noise or squeal. I have had by far the full gambit of issues including the clunk, but most importantly the death in road, failed charging cable, failed hood latch and failed repair, and rear sensors along with many others....rough ride? did I mention how crappy the ride is on our roads? I have full air suspension, but my Jeep with a similar set up is soooooo smooooth.

I know now the law is on my side and I just need to be patient. I really have a very problematic vehicle since day one. First clue was trying to get it started on day one the dealer even had a problem getting it to boot.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 10:39 AM

Wow. Definitely sympathize with folks managing prolonged car absence and issues with corporate. Total nightmare.
Also add observations: (A) I also sometimes notice something akin to a transmission-engaging clunk when first moving car (but don't find it particularly alarming); (B) As for brake noise, is it anything like what is illustrated in the e-trophy races (see online video)? -- My point being, those races appear to illustrate that noisy brakes are the norm (though we might also expect that the e-trophy cars have modified brakes).

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page