Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

In for service for 4 weeks - what now?

6K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  piekas 
#1 ·
My I-Pace has been at the dealership for 4 weeks. Went in for a variety of things including front dampeners, regen recall, and software updates. The one that is the sticking point is a slight "clunk" when starting from a full stop. Long story short, dealer hasn't been able to identify the cause, and is now working with Jaguar which I assume will only prolong the process. I have had a loaner (Discovery Sport) for the entire time period. Unfortunately, there is no target date/end in sight for me to get my car back. What are my options?

- be patient and wait, it'll take the time that it takes.

- start discussing a replacement car

- ask for monetary compensation of some type (difference between monthly payment on a Discovery Sport vs. I-Pace for example)

Thoughts or advice? Thanks.

#6 ·
From a complete stop, when accelerating normally, there's a soft "clunk" that can be felt/heard. That's the only time, in my case that it occurs. As of right now, the dealership agrees that it's there but has been unable to pinpoint and is working with the factory to determine the cause. Currently they are looking at frame welds and subframe assembly bolts.

#3 ·
Yeah in Dynamic mode you get a clunk when you put the pedal down from a stop. You can avoid it even in Dynamic mode when you press gently but then what's the point. It's possible your throttle response is off ... how is the throttle otherwise?

#4 ·
4 weeks is a long time and getting pretty close to lemon law limits in most states.
If your order wasn't a custom order, you might consider a replacement carif the dealer can find a vehicle with similar specs in inventory. Otherwise you have to go through an order cycle. You should probably start discussing this with the dealer and get the regional or national service manager involved. At the very least, you need to have this request documented.

If you are patient and then definitely see if they will waive payments for a month or two depending upon time you have been without your car. It really doesn't matter that a loaner was provided. You are not getting full use of the car you bought.

I think you have passed the patience level. Please also keep us posted on your service experience whatever you decide.

#8 ·
Thanks for the thoughts. Agree with everything you've said. I've requested reimbursement from JLR corporate for my lease payments for the duration of the car being at the dealership. They committed to getting back to me in two business days...that will be on Tue/Wed.

#5 ·
I'm in a similar boat (although not quite as bad) in that in 4 months it's been in service 4 times....usually for anywhere from 3-5 days, but this latest time they've had it for 13 days now, apparently due to the inability of the car to update software without crashing. They're now replacing the entire Infotainment Master Controller. No known estimated completion date. Once they call me to tell me the car is ready I'm going to ask about how to file a claim with JLR for some kind of reimbursement for time lost using the vehicle. The service manager told me this is possible but we didn't get into specifics at the time. $10 says when I get it back they My EV Panel still won't reliably load haha.

#7 ·
My dealership told me to reach out to JLR corporate and open a case. I did so, opened a case, and am waiting to hear back. I requested they cover my lease payment while the car is in the the shop (4 weeks so far). We'll see what they agree to...

#9 ·
I too had the same issue with the clunk. Of course the dealership could not verify, they like this so they can deny its real. I thought it might be the tow bars in the stowage area in the back, but not....Many other issues were denied as unverified but after other attempts they are now now confirmed. I started documenting with photos which helped as well.

As for customer care, the only proper way to address them is through a certified letter. I got into this loop and I am trying to re-start the process on a traceable path. They are careful to not officially respond so as to not start any clock. If you fill out a form on line, the record disappears. They do reply but give you extended hope not support. The certified letter requires them to officially respond in 40 days, else why would they? Personally I would not use the BBB Autoline as it is sponsored by the manufacturers, its third party not state admin, and they do not have to follow lemon law only consider it a guideline. If they can mediate that is OK, but likely its a waste of time. They rule 56% in favor of manufactures when used as arbitration,and their ruling is then used against you in courts as evidence. I tried them and they just claim the manufacturer has not responded there is nothing they can do. WOW what a help.

BTW...mine is out of service now for 57 days out of 100 and they still refuse to repurchase or even officially respond. It remains in the shop now for the brake squeal issue which they verified but Jaguar has denied as out of warranty with only 1200 miles most of which was returning to the dealership for repair. Others have commented about the same issues with a grinding noise or squeal. I have had by far the full gambit of issues including the clunk, but most importantly the death in road, failed charging cable, failed hood latch and failed repair, and rear sensors along with many others....rough ride? did I mention how crappy the ride is on our roads? I have full air suspension, but my Jeep with a similar set up is soooooo smooooth.

I know now the law is on my side and I just need to be patient. I really have a very problematic vehicle since day one. First clue was trying to get it started on day one the dealer even had a problem getting it to boot.

#10 ·
Wow. Definitely sympathize with folks managing prolonged car absence and issues with corporate. Total nightmare.
Also add observations: (A) I also sometimes notice something akin to a transmission-engaging clunk when first moving car (but don't find it particularly alarming); (B) As for brake noise, is it anything like what is illustrated in the e-trophy races (see online video)? -- My point being, those races appear to illustrate that noisy brakes are the norm (though we might also expect that the e-trophy cars have modified brakes).

#12 ·
I didn't find the clunk particularly alarming either (it was almost an afterthought when the car went in for software). The dealership, however, seems far more alarmed and won't release the car until they pinpoint it. Of course, since we don't know what the actual cause is yet it may or may not be cause for alarm....will keep this thread updated.

#11 ·
Dang, sorry to hear all of these. Mine completely died electrically while out on the road on July 4th (causing me to miss a family event), so I'm at 19 days without a car. They've verified the car's batteries were still charged (the last number I saw before total shutdown was 147 miles). The car reported a charging system fault followed by a traction system fault and then quickly by a total system shutdown (windows, locks, gauges, everything... I couldn't even turn off the emergency flashers which were still managing to work somehow until they eventually died too).

It took them about two weeks to provide a Discovery loaner but I have a truck as a spare car so it wasn't too big a problem other than seeming wrong from them not to step up and provide something sooner. They have received a new battery charge control module that they think may be the problem. But the big disappointment for me is that yesterday they told me the only tech trained to work on my car is now in training all of this week so it will be next Monday before there's any chance of him getting back on it (that will a total of 25 days dead).

I'm on the Advisory Board and filed a complaint there. They assigned a Customer Rep what called once briefly a week ago saying he was going to contact the dealer for info, but then he's never called back despite the two messages I've left. They don't seem to pick up a call in person. So like others are saying here, it's beginning to sound like that route might be worthless too.

Its a real shame since I really was enjoying the car a lot... but this whole experience is taking the shine off of that.

#14 ·
Has anyone noticed a slight clunking noise and vibration while their I-Pace is booting up. It appears a bit after the media comes on, but before the nav system wakes up. I’m guessing something is disengaging during boot up, maybe related to a feature of the electronic parking brake (?). Fortunately, my I-Pace doesn’t experience the clunking noise on acceleration in normal drive mode mentioned in this thread, but I will need to see if it happens in dynamic mode. My I-Pace does have the usual brake/rotor clunking noise when coming to a full stop or starting up with the brakes engaged. I consider this normal, because this was common on my 2001 Audi allroad.

#15 ·
FYI I opened a case with JLR and we went through all the issues we've had this far. He has opened a case to start buy-back proceedings. Unclear if I'll actually go through with it because I have no idea what's entailed or how long it would take or what the terms would be, but we'll see. But given that my most recent service has had my car for 15 days now and they just called me to say they somehow lost satellite radio subscription (I think they change the satellite radio ID with the new infotainment controller) so I've now lost my satellite radio lifetime subscription and am going to have to argue with Sirius XM to try to get it back, I will not be sad if the buy-back works out. Arrrghh.

#16 ·
They've had mine 15 days now trying to do H228 but it kept crashing and failing. They've replaced multiple parts including USB port and entire Infotainments Master Controller. They called me this morning to say it's done but then said "Did you by chance have satellite radio?" I said "yes I have a lifetime subscription and it's tied to this car's radio ID. Why, what did you do? " They said "Hmm ok well it seems to no longer have a subscription so let us look into that". The dealership called yesterday and said they "fixed" my Sirius XM issue and the car is ready for pickup. Cut to me getting an email from Sirius 10 minutes later confirming the addition of a new subscription with 6 month promotional rate and new radio ID and charging me $30 =(. I've alerted my service rep via voicemail twice now but haven't heard back. Last message I left said I'm not picking up the car until they resolve the Sirius subscription issue because I'm not going to spend an hour fighting with Sirius on the phone for a mistake Jaguar made.

On a related note, I have a case open with JLR and have complained at length and they said they are starting a buyback process", whatever that means. I'm sure it'll take forever and possibly go nowhere but at least I'm in their system and they agreed to start that process, whatever it may entail.

#17 ·
I got my I Pace just before Xmas last year and within a month I got a dash message: "OK to drive with caution. High voltage system fault detected." They kept it for a week and declared problem solved. 60 days later I got the same message. This time they had the car for 6 weeks and fixed the problem by replacing the main high voltage battery. The dealer said they would like to compensate me somehow.

I told them that shortly after I had paid sticker price for the car I noticed on this site that I Pace sales were slow and JLR was offering 0% financing. I told them I felt cheated and asked them to convert my loan to 0%. They simply gave me a check (about $5000) for the total amount of interest I would pay over the life of the loan. I felt that was fair compensation for my inconvenience.

BTW, did I mention that last week, as a valet was opening the front passenger door that the door handle cover came off in his hand? I am tempted to declare the car a lemon, but I have never driven a car that is so smooth, accelerates so quickly and has such stable handling.

#18 ·
Finally got it back...8.5 weeks. The majority of the time was spent tracking down the slight "clunk" that I would hear/feel from a dead stop. Happened under all circumstances, but was more pronounced if the car was lifted all the way up (highest suspension setting). Turns out to have been an issue with the front drive motor. Replaced the entire front motor, no more clunk. Apparently had metal shavings in the oil, so was internally defective. For now, dealers do not service motor internals and it was sent back to Jag. So, 8.5 weeks later all is well. Dealer was great, but process was very long due to back and forth with corporate.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.