Baffling ICE World (slightly off-topic) - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Baffling ICE World (slightly off-topic)

I've started looking into electric motorcycles, and went to a local shop that carries KTM, but not their electric offering. (I'm going to see how the 2020 Zero DS looks when it comes out.)

The store, entirely closed-in, measures about 40 x 100 feet.

While I was browsing the gloves and jackets, a sales rep walked up to a bike in the middle of the store, started it up and let it run while she examined the dash. A blue-ish plume of smoke started slowly filling the center of the showroom.

Cigarette smoking is prohibited indoors here; but you know, running an ICE motorcycle isn't like burning a small stick of tobacco. . .

I thought of shouting, "That's exactly why i'm looking at electric bikes."
but just shook my head and walked out.
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 02:34 PM

I don't know what happened with KTM's electric bike.
Zero Motorcycles are normally happy to let you test drive with a DL w/endorsement.

There are some MegaStores that carry motorcycles in my area. Chapperal is HUGE as is Berts(?). Hundreds of different bikes, but I don't think they carry EV bikes yet.

I'm thinking of trading my my KTM 500EXC in on a Zero.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:04 PM

KTM = Best I can figure out, they cancelled the plans to import the Freeride E-XC, and might have cancelled the model. The 2018 was the last year I can find globally, and the webpage locks up even in Europe. Somebody has a 2015 for sale, new-old-stock.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Yeah, KTM may have dropped their electric bike. There are currently three Zero dealerships here in the Bay Area.

I came across a group riding Triumphs last weekend (on the dirt road), and a guy from LA says he sees lots of Zero's in the canyons, and some Alta's (rip).
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:34 PM

I was driving home the other day and there was a group of 5 (!) Zeros. They looked over and clearly recognized the i-Pace; we gave each other the thumbs up!
McRat, Calidave, epirali and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
I was driving home the other day and there was a group of 5 (!) Zeros. They looked over and clearly recognized the i-Pace; we gave each other the thumbs up!
Being a former Navy flyer, I took your Zeros comment completely out of context thinking that you were buzzed by a group of Mitsubishi Zeros....
sciencegeek and Mister Dave like this.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 12:48 AM

BTW, has anyone watched the e-Harley video review on CNET? I don't ride motorcycles but I do appreciate them. CNET gave it a glowing review. I think it's great that Harley is finally making one but it's kinda dorky. What gives?
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
BTW, has anyone watched the e-Harley video review on CNET? I don't ride motorcycles but I do appreciate them. CNET gave it a glowing review. I think it's great that Harley is finally making one but it's kinda dorky. What gives?
Didn't see the video review, but did read the autoblog review: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/16/...-drive-review/
It's an odd review because they were trying real hard to sell the concept even with the two major concerns, such as the charging speed - no real high speed charging option.

Thanks for mentioning CNET, I'll take a look.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Harley has been trying to enter the 20th century ever since the late 1970's. Their customers will not tolerate it. I believe this will fail like every other attempt to modernize their lineup. It's not loud enough and doesn't look like it was built in the 1930's. I would not bet 'long' on HD. If I were in their shoes and I wanted an EV bike, I'd have kitted their sidecar model for it and kept as much of the old school styling as possible.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Didn't see the video review, but did read the autoblog review: https://www.autoblog.com/2019/07/16/...-drive-review/
It's an odd review because they were trying real hard to sell the concept even with the two major concerns, such as the charging speed - no real high speed charging option.

Thanks for mentioning CNET, I'll take a look.
IIRC, it will do CCS3 at 192 miles per hour. Since it only has a 110 mile range, it will take the same time as other 100 mile EVs with DCFC support. And oddly enough, cost the same. I love motorcycles, but I'm not seeing any real market for it.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page