Is I-Pace family friendly - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Is I-Pace family friendly

Finally got a chance to test drive the I-Pace today and it was amazing as expected! The only issue was my two kids in the back seat said they felt boxed in and didn't like that the rear windows barely opened and the roof was blazing hot (the sun was shining down). So on balance they were a bit freaked out. Has anyone used this as a family car with passengers - any advice?
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:23 PM

I can't feel the heat from the roof. Literally. None of the passengers ever complained about it either. It often exceeds 100F here. We were stuck in the desert in 113F heat due to construction, and we were comfy the whole time. You would think heat would come through the glass, but it doesn't.
My back seats have individual A/C controls but they aren't cooled seats. It's always good to turn on the A/C with your phone 15 minutes before departure if you are parked in the sun, regardless of whether the car has a sunroof or not.

But more importantly, unless you have the world's best behaved children you don't want them opening the windows/doors. Most cars have lockouts for this. My kids are older and know not to open windows while I'm driving.

You did not say what age your kids are, but for 0-15, nothing beats a minivan.
epirali likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:53 PM

I chose the I-Pace as our family SUV after 2 MLs and 2 GLs over the past 15 years. I now have a 10 and a 12 year old and live in SW Florida. It's pretty warm all year 'round and has been in the 90s most of July - even hotter than normal. Sun through the glass sunroof has never been an issue. Ever. (side windows are another story so I'm still exploring tint options) I came from a GL550 that had much more room but no one has complained about space in the I-Pace. Might be an issue if you have 3 kids (vs. 2) since the back middle would be much tighter than in the ML or GL series.

What do you mean "rear windows barely opened"?? Mine open all the way but the last 1" or so of glass showing...? Unless your kids are giants I don't know how they can feel boxed in while in the rear? I'm 6'2" 210 and I can sit very comfortably in back, even with the front seat exactly where I left it when I drove. Only issue I've ever had is that with the roofline sloping lower in the back, taller (over 6') rear passengers must be careful to tilt head forward/down getting in as the doorframe shortens toward the rear of the opening, but plenty of headroom once inside the car.

Last edited by dtgsrq; 07-14-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 11:59 PM

It's as family friendly as any crossover of its size. I bet it can fit a double stroller. It's not going to take the kids and grandparents on a trip to Montana for a month. That's what a Suburban is for.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossrock View Post
Finally got a chance to test drive the I-Pace today and it was amazing as expected! The only issue was my two kids in the back seat said they felt boxed in and didn't like that the rear windows barely opened and the roof was blazing hot (the sun was shining down). So on balance they were a bit freaked out. Has anyone used this as a family car with passengers - any advice?
The first stab at the button for the rear windows only open them a couple inches. But if you push it again or simply hold it down for a bit the windows roll all the way down.

I have had any issues with the glass roof being too hot.

I have 4 kids under the age of 10, a full size car seat and a booster seat in the back and don’t have any issues with 3 in the back.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:48 AM
Super Moderator

Many miles in the desert with people in the back, no issues with the sunroof.

The glass of the roof does not let short or long wave radiation through, but the glass itself does heat up and because there's no insulation to the cabin, it radiates a bit of heat. Can be mitigated by A/C.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:00 AM

3 year old (booster seat) and 9 month old (car seat) in back, fits fine. Glass doesn’t overheat. I actually emailed jaguar about the roof since our 9 month old is facing up - they say the roof is equivalent to about SPF 40.
It’s our family daily driver. Perfectly fine for groceries, swimming lesson trips, etc. Use the GLE for longer road trips.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:26 AM Thread Starter

Great feedback thanks everyone. Glad to know about the roof and windows etc. Now I'm confident they can make the adjustment!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 07:47 PM

Definitely fits the Britax double stroller. It's especially roomy for the back passengers if you have the performance seats since they are "thinner"
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 12:12 AM

Nobody mentioned that high brake regen is a good vomit inducer for all the passengers
sciencegeek likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page