Tests drives. i-Pace vs eTron - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:29 PM Thread Starter

Tests drives. i-Pace vs eTron

I fell in love with the i-Pace when I first saw it in pictures. The pictures don't do it justice, it's even better looking in the flesh - aluminium?

Finally got a chance to take one on a test drive yesterday. As luck would have it, the Jaguar and Audi dealerships are right next door to each other and there was a eTron sitting outside so I got a chance to drive both back to back.
Both cars are on my list as potential replacements for my 2015 i3 once I decide to get rid of it.

Exteriors:
First impressions of the eTron? How can I say this politely? Boring. Probably exactly what Audi were going for, but boring none the less. It looks just like any other smallish SUV.
The Jag....it's a Jaaaaaag. Gorgeous. Nice hips, great roofline, love the vent in the hood. It looks fast sitting still. There is not an angle on the i-Pace that isn't awesome!
Score 1 to Jag for first impressions.

Interiors
Both interiors are upmarket. The buttons for P/N/D in the Jag are functional, but uninspired. The P/N/D selector on the Audi is just weird. Unnecessarily big and very non-intuitive.
The dash layouts on both cars are functional and upscale. I have an e-Pace, so the infotainment system in the Jag is familiar to me. It works, but it's not the prettiest. The Audi's looks prettier, but both were easy to use.
The interiors are both nice and upscale. I really disliked the fake wood effect trim in the Audi. What were they thinking?

Seats
I *love* the look and feel of the seats in the i-Pace. Comfy, supportive and they look great! (way better than the seats in my e-Pace and comfier than the boards that BMW passes off as seats in my i3). The Audi seats are comfy, but a little bland and not as supportive as the Jags.

Steering wheels
The i-Pace wheel just looks and feels better to the touch. Both are festooned with buttons that would take a little to get used to.

Interior Space
The Audi feels big. No, the Audi feels huge. It's a little longer and taller than the Jag, but it feels so much bigger! Cargo capacity is 3 cu.ft. more and that is very obvious when you look under the rear hatch. Even though externally the Audi is narrower than the Jag, the interior feels a lot bigger.
The i-Pace feels cozy, not cramped just cozy. I liked it. It felt a good place to be. In the Audi I felt like I was driving a huge SUV. In the Jag, other than the higher viewpoint, it felt like I was in a sports sedan.

Driving
The make or break category for me. I did not like the way the Audi drove. It felt big and cumbersome. You can really feel that extra 1000lbs it's carrying over the i-Pace. By default, single pedal driving is turned off. Audi have done a ton of work to make the eTron drive like a "normal" car. It coasts when you let of the gas, and the brake pedal increases the regen level the harder you push until the friction brakes cut in. The transition from regen to friction was completely seamless. I had no idea if I was using the friction brakes or just regen. As a current EV driver, I *love* the single pedal driving and really missed it in the Audi. I guess there is a menu item buried deep in the system that allows you to turn single pedal driving on, but I couldn't find it in the short time I was in the car. I understand why they did this, but I still don't like it.
The i-Pace driving experience however was amazing. Just as I would hope for a Jag. It felt light and nimble - no mean feat for a 4700lb car. The steering weight was spot on and it just felt *right*. Acceleration was amazing. Yes, it has the equivalent of almost 400bhp, but it also weighs 4700lbs! The Audi's acceleration by comparison just felt OK.

Bottom line, I'm excited that the i-Pace lived up to my expectations and equally happy the eTron did not. I thought I was going to have a tough decision to make with what car to replace my i3 with, but the Audi was so disappointing it's a no-brainer.
I'll be a 2 Jag family soon
McRat, bruintoo, sflgator and 7 others like this.
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:33 PM

Great comparison, thanks for sharing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
Seats
I *love* the look and feel of the seats in the i-Pace. Comfy, supportive and they look great!
Were they the Performance seats? (no separate headrest)
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:40 PM

Some have complained about the placement of the P/R/D buttons on the iPace. But in reality, you don't need the P at all if you follow the protocol of once you are at your destination, just hit the off button, then the iPace will go into P and engage the parking brake. Then it makes sense that P is is placed at the bottom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 12:55 PM

The button placement means nothing. I just wish a lighter food on the pedal would let the power start. SOmetimes I have to hjit start twice or three times.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
The button placement means nothing. I just wish a lighter food on the pedal would let the power start. SOmetimes I have to hjit start twice or three times.
Same here, but apparently this is one of the "fixed" items in one of the updates. I thought I was just being an idiot until I realize it really missed the press!
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 01:17 PM

Things you can get on the e-tron but not on the I-Pace include MASSAGING seats and the headlights that turn when you turn your steering wheel. The latter is the one I missed the most from my A3 e-tron.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruintoo View Post
Things you can get on the e-tron but not on the I-Pace include MASSAGING seats and the headlights that turn when you turn your steering wheel. The latter is the one I missed the most from my A3 e-tron.
It comes with a very nice portable L2 EVSE, has a cable release button at the charge port, power close doors and towing capabilities as well
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 02:56 PM

Quote:
The interiors are both nice and upscale. I really disliked the fake wood effect trim in the Audi. What were they thinking?
The one I looked at had real wood trim. I haven’t spent any time reviewing them closely, but is real wood just an option?
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Great comparison, thanks for sharing!

Were they the Performance seats? (no separate headrest)
That's a really good question. I was too busy enjoying the driving experience to notice
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
No fake wood in the eTron...

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page