Looking into an I-Pace - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Looking into an I-Pace

I have been looking into the I-Pace for the a few months, but have been more serious about it lately.
Took my second test drive this week and like the car even more.
The looks, build quality, interior, low volume, brand, all do it for me. No other car (ICE or EV) interests me at the moment

I don't care about the infotainment UI. Maybe it's because I haven't interacted with it for an extended period of time.
Interaction with the car and the feel are far more important.

I've had EVs for many years, currently have a Fiat 500e so I have a good understanding of EVs.

Here are some questions & concerns:

Depreciation - EVs don't hold their values. The I-Pace seems to be little worse than others.

Consumption - I average 4.8 mi/KwH on my 500e. I-Pace seems much worse

Reliability - beyond what I've read on here, I have been seeing the factory buy back cars popping up at the auctions.

Lease program - Leasing will be the best option, but I would like to see more attractive programs. With the higher depreciation, I wonder if that will ever happen
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:58 PM

Depreciation: yes all EVs seem to depreciate, but a lot from the fact that battery capacity was increasing so rapidly (and cost dropping), I think curve is not as bad. Also for a lot of EVs the main “draw” on resell was the EV portion, but with limited range and changing market it made sense they lost value. I have no idea how the current crop of luxury 250 mile range ones will fare, because its hard to tell what 5 years from now the EVs will be like. If I had to guess an I Pace should take less of a long term hit because it both has lots of range, real luxury, and may remain compelling (unlike say a Leaf with 100 mile range).

Consumption: the I Pace has the lowest miles/KWHr of any EV I have owned, even performance ones. But I don’t see it as a flaw, its a “baked in” feature of how it drives and not minimizing weight and detail for “maximum range.” Audio seems to have done the same, and in my opinion with a car like this and big battery its a very good trade off. But if efficiency if your number one concern this may not be it.

Reliability: hard to tell. Remember anyone with issue will post, most will not post to say “all is well.” It’s the news syndrome, you only hear bad stuff, not “no one is dead today.” I have had no real issues outside software and my car was produce in Dec 18 FWIW. Others have reported no issues, and some have had to have theirs bought back. It is a first year production car FWIW. But you will me getting a later production model where some of these issues should have been rolled in.
gbillcb likes this.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:01 PM

I agree with your comment that those who don't have a problem, don't speak up. As I'm one of them, here's my experience.

I've had the car three months and 6,000 kms (about 4,000 mi). Apart from a few minor learning issues caused by my lack of experience with BEVs, I have had only one problem - the passenger door would not open from the inside which meant I had to be chivalrous and walk around to let my wife out of the car. It has now been fixed under warranty - about a 30 minute job.

I'm on 18D and 14.2 with no issues whatsoever. The brake regeneration recall has been done but I'm not sure I can tell any difference. I do count to ten when I start the car before engaging "D", just to let everything boot up. No blank screens, some minor lag in Nav. but none of the horror stories I see on this site.

Range is pretty good. I'm generally using 20 kWhrs per 100 kms (32 kWhr's per 100 miles) which results in a range of around 425 kms or 265 miles. Of course, this has all been done in mild to warm weather - winter will no doubt be a different story.

I love the fit and finish (much nicer than Tesla imho), the styling, the air suspension and especially the acceleration. My only peeve is with the Nav. system - it sucks. I can't program it to take the shortest route so it often takes me on major roads requiring a much greater distance. The solution is to enter waypoints but it shouldn't be necessary.

Otherwise I believe it to be the best car I've owned - and I have had a lot of high end autos. Now I hope I haven't jinxed myself.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbillcb View Post
I agree with your comment that those who don't have a problem, don't speak up. As I'm one of them, here's my experience.

I've had the car three months and 6,000 kms (about 4,000 mi). Apart from a few minor learning issues caused by my lack of experience with BEVs, I have had only one problem - the passenger door would not open from the inside which meant I had to be chivalrous and walk around to let my wife out of the car. It has now been fixed under warranty - about a 30 minute job.

I'm on 18D and 14.2 with no issues whatsoever. The brake regeneration recall has been done but I'm not sure I can tell any difference. I do count to ten when I start the car before engaging "D", just to let everything boot up. No blank screens, some minor lag in Nav. but none of the horror stories I see on this site.

Range is pretty good. I'm generally using 20 kWhrs per 100 kms (32 kWhr's per 100 miles) which results in a range of around 425 kms or 265 miles. Of course, this has all been done in mild to warm weather - winter will no doubt be a different story.

I love the fit and finish (much nicer than Tesla imho), the styling, the air suspension and especially the acceleration. My only peeve is with the Nav. system - it sucks. I can't program it to take the shortest route so it often takes me on major roads requiring a much greater distance. The solution is to enter waypoints but it shouldn't be necessary.

Otherwise I believe it to be the best car I've owned - and I have had a lot of high end autos. Now I hope I haven't jinxed myself.....

IMO I-Pace is best looking car, ICE or EV (excluding exotics).
Quality, fit and finish are very important to me so Tesla way out of the question.
To me the Model S should be $50k and the 3 $25k

I want a drivers car with some buttons and knobs. Jag infotainment might suck, but it's not important to me.

Range is acceptable as I don't drive more than 200 miles in a day and wouldn't do road trips in any car I own
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 09:44 PM

I love my I-Pace. Fun car to drive.

Cheapest car? Bought a brand new Chevy Sprint for $6k, it netted an honest 45-50 miles to a gallon, I drove it 180,000 miles needing only 1 set of brakes and two sets of tires. Due to IRS mileage exemption, I actually turned a PROFIT by driving it.

You need to lose the 500e mindset to drive the Jaguar. It is engineered for enjoyment.

Is it a wise financial move? Naw. But neither are vacations or having children.
ELO, phil, epirali and 2 others like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I love my I-Pace. Fun car to drive.

Cheapest car? Bought a brand new Chevy Sprint for $6k, it netted an honest 45-50 miles to a gallon, I drove it 180,000 miles needing only 1 set of brakes and two sets of tires. Due to IRS mileage exemption, I actually turned a PROFIT by driving it.

You need to lose the 500e mindset to drive the Jaguar. It is engineered for enjoyment.

Is it a wise financial move? Naw. But neither are vacations or having children.
I had the big cars I enjoyed and lost a ton of money on in my younger days.

Lease is the only option, but I would prefer JLR come out with a better lease program.

Its definitely a blast to drive and a pleasant to look at.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 12:21 PM

About 5 years ago when I went to see the first i3's that came out, I got to take the 5mph pony ride in the passenger seat inside at the convention center here. You couldn't drive one but you could sit inside and get a little demo ride with BMW person. It was silly but at least you could actually sit inside the car in motion. I remember telling the gal driver that I was seriously considering buying one and was having a hard time deciding on whether to buy or lease one. I remember she said well I shouldn't say anything but DON'T buy one, lease one because EV's will drop sharply. OKAY! I took that advice and leased one for 3 years and it was a great suggestion. When I turned it in I was able to get another better one with a third of the miles I had, with way more goodies, for $4000 less than the buyout!

The i3's continued to drop and after 2 more years my i3 dropped quite a bit more. My 2 cents? Absolutely lease one and if you like it that much you'll be able to buy another for less when the lease comes up.... I was able to buy my ELR for less than half of what it cost new 3 years ago and absolutely loving the car. The technology of these newer cars is so awesome.

2017 FPace - S Odyssey Red, black blades, black pack
2007 XK coupe in Black w Carelia wheels
2016 Cadillac ELR
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafsoundguy View Post
About 5 years ago when I went to see the first i3's that came out, I got to take the 5mph pony ride in the passenger seat inside at the convention center here. You couldn't drive one but you could sit inside and get a little demo ride with BMW person. It was silly but at least you could actually sit inside the car in motion. I remember telling the gal driver that I was seriously considering buying one and was having a hard time deciding on whether to buy or lease one. I remember she said well I shouldn't say anything but DON'T buy one, lease one because EV's will drop sharply. OKAY! I took that advice and leased one for 3 years and it was a great suggestion. When I turned it in I was able to get another better one with a third of the miles I had, with way more goodies, for $4000 less than the buyout!

The i3's continued to drop and after 2 more years my i3 dropped quite a bit more. My 2 cents? Absolutely lease one and if you like it that much you'll be able to buy another for less when the lease comes up.... I was able to buy my ELR for less than half of what it cost new 3 years ago and absolutely loving the car. The technology of these newer cars is so awesome.
Good info and I agree

I still have my wholesale dealer license so I try and minimize losses as much as possible.

FEs are trading around $60k with a few thousand miles on it.
In general, EV/hybrids do not hold their value in comparison to ICE.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 05:26 PM

I went to a BMW dealer when the Mini first arrived and they asked for a $2500 check just to do a test drive. Their explanation was that they wanted to ensure we were serious buyers. We were serious but not enough to write a check and we walked away. Never experienced anything like that since.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
I went to a BMW dealer when the Mini first arrived and they asked for a $2500 check just to do a test drive. Their explanation was that they wanted to ensure we were serious buyers. We were serious but not enough to write a check and we walked away. Never experienced anything like that since.
Kona EV wanted $10k markup over sticker.
That was a few months ago. That all changed

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page