"Other" ICE car - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eJeff View Post
Our long-range ICE car is a Porsche Cayenne diesel...yes the one with the "scandalous" VW dieselgate engine. It's really a shame that VW tried to game the system with that engine and ruined the entire diesel market, because that engine really is a nice combination with the Cayenne. Lots of torque, better than 30 MPG on the highway and 700 miles of range between fuel stops. Just crossed 100K miles with it and the car is just like new. We will drive it until the wheels fall off and then probably replace it with a Cayenne plug in hybrid or something like it.

We also have a Ford F250 diesel for hauling around stuff.
I love the Cayenne diesel! I have a Touareg and wish it were a diesel.

So there you have it. We just took the Touareg (first model year, almost 140,000 miles) to Montana (1200 miles one way) into a remote corner of Glacier NP. Could not have done it with the i-Pace, plus I needed to haul a bunch of camping gear that wouldn't have fit into the i-Pace.

Soooo ... implicit in this anecdote is my answer to your question. I love the i-Pace for California (maybe Oregon, but we haven't ventured there yet in it); and for commuting. As the backup ICE car I need a long-distance comfortable and capable SUV. I've had the Touareg for 15 years. It used to be our only larger vehicle. Now it's only used for the occasional long trip or when large items have to be hauled (such as our tandem). Still kicks a$$ especially with the mud tires on
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 01:24 PM

Oh..... my...... God......

EV owners drive pickup trucks? I thought they were mortal enemies.

Just kidding, but after seeing so many truck paranoia threads around the EV sites...... We are after all ruining the planet. We've even been accused of supporting the NRA. Full disclosure: I'm a member of the NRA, GOA and SAF. I guess I fit the stereotype, somewhat.

See you on the gun forums!!!
sciencegeek likes this.
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 04:49 PM

My next vehicle will be the ford ranger raptor (if/when it comes to the states) or the Rivian truck, probably decided by whichever one is available to me first!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
I love the Cayenne diesel! I have a Touareg and wish it were a diesel.

My 2011 Touareg TDI was bought back by VW and sent, as far as I know, to the great crusher on the sky

I took the $53k buy-back check--paid $55k new--and trundled over to the Audi store to buy a fully loaded 2019 Q7 Prestige, basically and A8 on stilts. Great hwy vehicle, and adequate off road. Miss the TReg though...

I-pace is wifey's DD. She'll never have to recharge it outside our garage, and we are lucky to have a virtually flawless version.

My DD is a 911/991.1, factory delivered in Zuffenhausen. Project car is a 1991 NSX; I'm the original owner.

Spyder
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Dave View Post

Just kidding, but after seeing so many truck paranoia threads around the EV sites...... We are after all ruining the planet. We've even been accused of supporting the NRA. Full disclosure: I'm a member of the NRA, GOA and SAF. I guess I fit the stereotype, somewhat.

I'd reconsider the NRA membership. Their leadership is utterly corrupt, lining their own pockets with membership money. If anything, they fight gun safety by fighting development of safer guns and gun laws. Don't know anything about GOA or SAF.

And I'm a gun owner.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2014 Forester, and maybe going to get a Fiat 500e
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
My 2011 Touareg TDI was bought back by VW and sent, as far as I know, to the great crusher on the sky

I took the $53k buy-back check--paid $55k new--and trundled over to the Audi store to buy a fully loaded 2019 Q7 Prestige, basically and A8 on stilts. Great hwy vehicle, and adequate off road. Miss the TReg though...

I-pace is wifey's DD. She'll never have to recharge it outside our garage, and we are lucky to have a virtually flawless version.

My DD is a 911/991.1, factory delivered in Zuffenhausen. Project car is a 1991 NSX; I'm the original owner.

Spyder
We took the VW compensation (about $9K) and kept the car. We loved it too much to send it to the crusher!
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 01:50 PM

Quote:

I've had a pickup and/or a heavy cargo van continuously for 41 years.

I'm very cautious about the EV priests. That is, those who treat EVs as a religion, spend a lot of time proselytizing, or claim their God(s) will send ICE owners to Hades. The core of their belief system is the removal of personal choice, and removing cars from those who are not wealthy. I'm too liberal to accept that much government control. I understand their enthusiasm, and they mean well, but their lack of compassion for the poor, and misunderstanding of life outside urban areas is dangerous and immoral.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 02:17 PM

My I-Pace is my DD. My fun car is a 911/991.1 and lastly, my project car is a 1990 Miata (original owner with only 45K miles on it).

I-Pace FE, Corris Gray, 20" rims
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
The core of their belief system is the removal of personal choice, and removing cars from those who are not wealthy.
You don't say. I hadn't noticed their intolerance of anything they don't do or want. <sarcasm>

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
I'm too liberal to accept that much government control. I understand their enthusiasm, and they mean well, but their lack of compassion for the poor, and misunderstanding of life outside urban areas is dangerous and immoral.
You must mean 'liberal' in the former traditional use of the term. It has a very different meaning today. I was a 'liberal' once. Then I grew up, but I still don't believe in regressive policies.

Our gas tax was just doubled here, along with every other car related tax or fee. Who did they hurt? I can afford it.

And they claim to be working for the poorer folks....... <more sarcasm>
McRat likes this.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-08-2019, 03:53 PM

Quote:
You don't say. I hadn't noticed their intolerance of anything they don't do or want. <sarcasm>

You must mean 'liberal' in the former traditional use of the term. It has a very different meaning today. I was a 'liberal' once. Then I grew up, but I still don't believe in regressive policies.

Our gas tax was just doubled here, along with every other car related tax or fee. Who did they hurt? I can afford it.

And they claim to be working for the poorer folks....... <more sarcasm>
Electromotive propulsion is a premium driving experience. Both in quality and price. This will change someday, but not today.

I get a chuckle out of Musk claiming he pays under $200 a kWh for batteries. In 2018 that is! Then Tesla is certainly rich today. They charge ~$400 kWh for the Powerwall batteries. And a Model S 75 is $10,000 more with a 100 kWh battery, or SURPRISE! $400 a kWh in July 2019.

Now you see the problem with Model 3 and the red ink. If it's a 75kWh battery that's $30,000. So of course they need more than $50k a car to break even. Making more of them, especially <$40k cars, is going to hurt, not help.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page