Considering 2020 I-PACE - need some advice - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

Cool Considering 2020 I-PACE - need some advice

Hello all,

My current lease is up in a few months, and I have done extensive reviews and test drives of a number of vehicles, and the I-PACE is at the top of my list. I have test driven it several times, and it is an absolute BLAST to drive. Lot's of fun. Before I make my purchase, I have been reading posts here, and I have some questions about the I-PACE that hopefully you all can help answer for me. This will be my first Jaguar of any type. So, here goes.

- RANGE. The EPA range is 234 miles. Is this realistic? Based on your real-world driving, are you getting close to this range mileage? If not, what kind of mileage are you getting between charges? I live outside of Denver, Colorado (not in the mountains), and the summers here are mild and the winters are cold. Most of my driving is around the Denver Metro area, but I do like to drive down to Colorado Springs, which is about 50 miles away, and Pueblo, which is 100 miles away. I also like to go driving in the mountains.

- CHARGING STATION COMPATIBILITY. I noticed some posts regarding issues where the I-PACE could not be charged at some charging stations. Is this a wide-spread issue? Are you easily locating charging stations that do work?

- INFOTAINMENT & NAVIGATION. Have the recurring bugs I have seen members write about been addressed? If not, what bugs remain?

- CENTER CONSOLE SCREENS GOING BLANK. Any advice here? Has this been fixed? What is the best way to prevent this from happening?

- STABILITY IN THE SNOW. How does the car handle in the snow?

- RELIABILITY. Based on your experience, how reliable is the I-PACE? Any specific issues I should be aware of?

Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you all in advance.
post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 12:58 PM

I have a 2020, love it.

Range - I get about 200 miles to the battery, but I drive in dynamic mode, air conditioning and ventilated seats going, often with 4 people in the car. Range is excellent for 99% of day-to-day driving, unless you have a huge commute. Denver to Springs should be fine, Pueblo you may have to do a quick charge for the round-trip.

Compatibility - I've only used my home charger (a ChargePoint) and my work's garage charger (also a ChargePoint) but never had a problem. Have not tried a long trip yet, have not had to use a 50/100 kW rapid charger.

Infotainment - still a bit buggy and slow but seems improved from what people used to describe. Everything loads up well, CarPlay works well for me. The slowness I assume is permanent, you have to test drive and decide how crazy it will drive you.

Black screens - I'm curious what others who have 2020s say. It seems like this has been addressed. I've had the black screens happen to me twice in the two weeks I've had the car, but both times I waited, didn't turn the car off or back on, and the screens loaded up after about 30 seconds. Maybe they have fixed that problem? Still slightly annoying.

Snow - haven't had to try yet. Heard good things, though.
See:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=KKG4XNoYeT4
and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=Y_3xx_yCp4w

Reliability - TBD. Lots of issues described on this forum, unclear how often they happen. The only issue I've had so far is a very faint whine from the air conditioning fan, am having that addressed this week. Others have had worse luck. It's a Jag, and effectively still in the first model year even though they're calling it 2020 now, so you have to go into it with open eyes.
ryzvy likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csparrow View Post

- RANGE. The EPA range is 234 miles. Is this realistic? Based on your real-world driving, are you getting close to this range mileage? If not, what kind of mileage are you getting between charges? I live outside of Denver, Colorado (not in the mountains), and the summers here are mild and the winters are cold. Most of my driving is around the Denver Metro area, but I do like to drive down to Colorado Springs, which is about 50 miles away, and Pueblo, which is 100 miles away. I also like to go driving in the mountains.

- CHARGING STATION COMPATIBILITY. I noticed some posts regarding issues where the I-PACE could not be charged at some charging stations. Is this a wide-spread issue? Are you easily locating charging stations that do work?

- STABILITY IN THE SNOW. How does the car handle in the snow?

- RELIABILITY. Based on your experience, how reliable is the I-PACE? Any specific issues I should be aware of?
Welcome, csparrow. I live in Colorado Springs and can answer a few questions.

Range: I consistently get better than the EPA estimate. Perhaps living at altitude with 20% less air density helps and I drive it like an EV and not a performance car. I drive to Denver on a 140 mile round trip and arrive home with over 100 miles of predicted range.

Charging: Challenging. There's a particular model of EVgo fast charger that doesn't work with the I-Pace. Unfortunately it's the only model in Colorado Springs and the majority in Denver. Electrify America stations work well and some dealerships offer free fast charging.

Snow: I only drove in the late May blizzard and the car was great. Selectable ride height and specific settings that provide more grip really help.

Reliability: My car is in the shop for an unknown drive battery drain problem and it's the 2nd time in the two months I've owned the car that it needed repairs.
The car is awesome but the problems you read about on this forum are serious but there are many forum members who have experienced trouble free driving.

Best of luck finding the right car!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 01:38 PM

I'll only chime in on the snow, I used the ADSR and it was incredibly stable with 20" all season performance tires it came with (mind you NOT winter tires). It was in very slippery few inches of wet snow (worst conditions). I even got brave enough to put my foot down and it just adjusted itself.

I am very used to and love Audi Quattro and this is a very close second in my opinion.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:34 PM

- RANGE. The EPA range is 234 miles. Is this realistic? It may be realistic under ideal driving conditions, which include mixed city/highway driving, mild temps, low winds, careful use of HVAC and slower speeds. My conditions would be nothing like what you have (for reference - I live on the edge of the plains in Minnesota), so it isn't fair to compare my consumption to what you could expect to get. There are a couple Colorado drivers who have had their car over the winter who would be able to provide good real-world expectations.

- CHARGING STATION COMPATIBILITY. I have limited opportunity to use DC chargers as they are virtually non-existent in these parts of the country. On one trip it took my 5 tries before I found a functioning charging station, but that wasn't the car's fault, the first 4 I went to just broken. We do not have anything >50kW charger in the state that I am aware of.

- INFOTAINMENT & NAVIGATION. The dealer just had my car for 17 days and updated everything possible to update (30+ module updates). Although the car works better than it has since I drove it off the showroom floor, it still doesn't work as designed. It rarely connects to my wifi hotspot without me manually connecting it, which includes having to re-enter the password 9 out of 10 times. The screens are more responsive, but still unacceptably slow. I now have ghost images for up to a minute when switching screens on the lower screen. The car mysteriously switches from ventilating the seats to heating the seats while driving and the AC is on full blast. It is not consistent, but seems to happen at least once/day. I still have problems receiving calls if my phone is plugged - no issues if I use bluetooth and no issues sending calls - just receiving. The cameras work better, but there is still some lag when backing up. The cameras do not consistently come on when parking. Often I need to manually turn them on.

- CENTER CONSOLE SCREENS GOING BLANK. Any advice here? Has this been fixed? What is the best way to prevent this from happening? - Issues - see above - one in the same...as far as preventing them, many have reported success by doing a 'slow boot' process in which you press the start button and sit and wait for the car to finish booting up before you do anything. It can take up to a minute or more...

- STABILITY IN THE SNOW. How does the car handle in the snow? Handling is surprisingly well with the stock 20" Good Year All Seasons. Zero complaints on winter driving abilities.

- RELIABILITY. Based on your experience, how reliable is the I-PACE? Any specific issues I should be aware of? JLR consistently ranks near the bottom in reliability surveys and I don't believe the I-Pace will change that. I had three significant repairs so far (ignoring all the software related issues): front suspension fix, AC system replacement & front camera replacement.

for reference: I picked up my car 10 Nov 19, it currently has just under 10,100 miles on it.

Best of luck with your decision!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
for reference: I picked up my car 10 Nov 19, it currently has just under 10,100 miles on it.
You've got a TARDIS? No wonder your car needs a Doctor.

And now for something more serious:

- RANGE. The EPA range is 234 miles. Is this realistic? Your mileage may vary. I know mine does. It all depends conditions of the moments while driving. Terrain, weather, stop/go, constant speed, high/low speed, emergency braking due to others, etc.

- CHARGING STATION COMPATIBILITY. I have the Plugshare app on my phone and took a tour of the local area checking out locations of chargers and testing some. There are several brands installed. I didn't have a problem with any that I tried with a few exceptions. These were chargers that have been installed for a while and have had a lot of use. The connectors didn't fit tight and that probably led to the inability for the car and charger to talk things over and agree on charging.

- INFOTAINMENT & NAVIGATION. According to the dealer I have the latest. Navigation occasionally reboots itself. Sometimes it recovers and remembers that it was leading me down the trodden path. Other times it is as if we just started a new day. It seems to have some difficulty listening to me and comprehending when I try to talk to it instead of taking a finger-on approach. I'm not a big user of a lot of the features but they seem to function well enough when I do. I do find the operation of the SiriusXM/radio/other music sources to take more personal interaction than I'd like to be doing while driving. The plus side is that I'm getting the hang of operating it by voice instead of touchy-feely.

- CENTER CONSOLE SCREENS GOING BLANK. Any advice here? Has this been fixed? What is the best way to prevent this from happening? As stated above, I've taken to waiting for the screens to come alive before powering on the motors and rolling on. The time required for this is only longish if the cat has sat for a long period of time. The come to life quicker if the cat only had a short nap while I went into a store, restaurant, etc.

- STABILITY IN THE SNOW. How does the car handle in the snow? I got mine in April and haven't had the experience yet. Videos on the web have shown it to be quite good, possibly better than a certain Norwegian's T car did a course laid out in the snow that bruised its front end when it hit the snow bank/wall.

- RELIABILITY. Based on your experience, how reliable is the I-PACE? Any specific issues I should be aware of? As with every car I have owned, the particular sample you get may have a very different life than anyone else's. It is a unique set of parts from various suppliers or made by Jaguar (or the real builder Magna Steyr).

Based on my experience with my single sample of production, I would not hesitate to buy another one if I needed one.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 08:08 PM

I really loved it for the first 6000 miles. No issues to speak of. No problems with public chargers. Yes a slow interface for infotainment but doesn’t really bother me. (Shouldn’t be tapping all over it while driving anyway). I’m sitting at a Starbucks in a pool of sweet trying to cool off. The AC decided to die at the worst possible time. When I’m on a long road trip and it’s 100 degrees outside. I tried the app’s “precondition” feature for the first time while it was charging thinking it would be nice and cool when I stepped back into the car. Nope. It was like an oven. And has remained an oven for the past few hours. Anyone else? AC DEATH? See attached photo: proof that I was wearing a seat belt haaaa. Ok back to the pretty oven......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	78B3B3FE-D40C-482A-B4AC-AA51D54C0904_1561939660710.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	272.6 KB
ID:	2067  
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennsmooth View Post
I really loved it for the first 6000 miles. No issues to speak of. No problems with public chargers. Yes a slow interface for infotainment but doesn’t really bother me. (Shouldn’t be tapping all over it while driving anyway). I’m sitting at a Starbucks in a pool of sweet trying to cool off. The AC decided to die at the worst possible time. When I’m on a long road trip and it’s 100 degrees outside. I tried the app’s “precondition” feature for the first time while it was charging thinking it would be nice and cool when I stepped back into the car. Nope. It was like an oven. And has remained an oven for the past few hours. Anyone else? AC DEATH? See attached photo: proof that I was wearing a seat belt haaaa. Ok back to the pretty oven......
Maybe not quite as common as black screens, but non-op AC seems to be relatively common. My AC unit needed to be replaced.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 09:40 PM

UPDATE: It occurred to me that this is a large laptop on wheels. What would IT do? They’d say “well have you tried turning it off then on again?”. After sweating and nearly passing out I decided to pull over at a Starbucks, turn off the car for a good 10 minutes while I stood in line. I got back in with a venti ice tea prepared for more heat but amazingly it worked like nothing was ever wrong. When In doubt reboot! This has also fixed the blank screen issue as well. After shutting down then starting up it’s usually good to go. Didn’t think this would work for the AC as well but apparently everything is routed through the CPU/GPU and if that crashes then a reboot should help. Ok so it’s back to being my favorite car again haha. Had 2 compliments already today when charging up. The EVGO DC fast charting network is working great along the 99 fwy in California. I’m driving from LA to San Francisco. 2nd trip in this car.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 10:18 PM

It's the Starbucks that fixed everything! It's magical stuff. 😄. Seriously, I'm glad the reboot worked. Do you happen to know which model of EVgo charger that worked on your car? I still can't fast charge using EVgo but they're all the same model here. Thanks.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page