Replace your I-Pace with which EV? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Replace your I-Pace with which EV?

I had signed on for an I -Pace when the car was announced at the 2018 Geneva Car Show. I finally got mine on January 12, 2019. It is an excellent drive when it works, but after multiple software and hardware problems, I have asked for a Buy back or Replacement. I won't bore you with the details but the problems were multiple -- In the first five months I have had several breakdowns and have had frozen screens, 12 volt battery failure, antenna needed replacement, problems with the adaptive cruise control, side view mirrors did not open on driving the car, and complete failure of the air conditioning. This list is not exhaustive but you be rest assured that I am thoroughly fed up driving a loaner for over one out of the 5 months I have owned this expensive piece of malfunctioning hardware and software.

The problems started in the first week, after I got this car. The first case opened with customer service, was closed because I had to wait for the car to have multiple or repeated problems, which took more than 20 business days to fix. This time around, I opened a new case on May 29th, and I have received the same form email( word for word - verbatim) for 4 weeks in a row -- they are looking into it. Finally, on 6/21/19, I received an email informing that they will proceed with my Buy back. The dealership will take it from here and I am still awaiting details.

Once bitten twice shy -- I would rather walk away from the I-Pace and make a fresh start with another good reliable EV. The question to the forum -- which EV would you recommend and please advise me on the pros and cons. I await your advise and thank you for it in advance.
post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 12:04 PM

It's not like you have a lot of choices. If you do not need a crossover, get a Model 3. If you need a crossover go with the Audi e-tron.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:37 PM

If you are willing to go front wheel drive I really do recommend looking at the Chevy Bolt. It is a very good balance of price and range, but its not fancy. Most of the interface is CarPlay or AA so that part you will know. I really did like mine, but obviously not at all a Jaguar.

I think the Audi E Tron is too big and too conservative.
McRat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

I don't mean to compare apples to oranges, but having gone for the Jaguar brand name in the first place, and having been so disappointed, I don't mind looking at a solid non-luxury EV. Have any of you thoughts on the 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric, or Nissan Leaf plus? They come up often on the "Best EV's of 2019" searches and some of the reviews are not bad.
epirali likes this.
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 02:47 PM

The Hyundais don't have much of a reliability record, but the Kona drives well for a FWD compact car. The Leaf and the Bolt have the best track records. Stay the **** away from Tesla, though, if you don't want to deal with warranty issues that take ages to get solved.

If I were in your shoes, I would consider the I-Pace again. I keep thinking of getting a Model 3 performance, but then I read all the newest horror stories and I shy away. The Kona is half the cost of the I-Pace, but it's also half the car. Half the comfort. Half the performance. A tenth of the style.
epirali, dtgsrq and ejbritto like this.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:18 PM

Another vote for the Bolt.
It's both nimble and stable, and it has punch right where you need it most.
It's larger inside than it looks.
True one-pedal driving if you want.
Smoking deals on them right now.

Someone can correct me, but I believe the GM / LG Chem battery design roots hold the record so far. Nearly 500,000 miles on 2012 Volt with the 16 kWh battery and it wasn't the battery that failed, IIRC.

That would be like a Model S 100 going 3 million miles on it's battery.
epirali likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Last edited by McRat; 06-24-2019 at 03:22 PM.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbritto View Post
I don't mean to compare apples to oranges, but having gone for the Jaguar brand name in the first place, and having been so disappointed, I don't mind looking at a solid non-luxury EV. Have any of you thoughts on the 2019 Hyundai Kona Electric, or Nissan Leaf plus? They come up often on the "Best EV's of 2019" searches and some of the reviews are not bad.
In that case, I would go for the Kia E-Niro if you can find one. It's roomier and less uglier than the Kona.

Last edited by bruintoo; 06-24-2019 at 03:31 PM.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:25 PM

I know someone at work with a Bolt. Seems to love it and no reported issues. Too econoboxy for me.
Not real excited about LEAF as it has no active thermal management of the battery. If travelling you get just one QC then it is throttled due to heat.
I would be inclined to go Audi. I have not even seen one in person. But I did buy the LEAF, RAV4-EV, and I-Pace sight unseen.
If you need max range I would be in the Model 3 or better if you can wait for the Y. Not quite the classic driving experience I want.
Niro and Kona I assume are good... need to see these in person and go for a drive.

Good luck on the search.
ejbritto likes this.
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejbritto View Post
I had signed on for an I -Pace when the car was announced at the 2018 Geneva Car Show. I finally got mine on January 12, 2019. It is an excellent drive when it works, but after multiple software and hardware problems, I have asked for a Buy back or Replacement. I won't bore you with the details but the problems were multiple -- In the first five months I have had several breakdowns and have had frozen screens, 12 volt battery failure, antenna needed replacement, problems with the adaptive cruise control, side view mirrors did not open on driving the car, and complete failure of the air conditioning. This list is not exhaustive but you be rest assured that I am thoroughly fed up driving a loaner for over one out of the 5 months I have owned this expensive piece of malfunctioning hardware and software.

The problems started in the first week, after I got this car. The first case opened with customer service, was closed because I had to wait for the car to have multiple or repeated problems, which took more than 20 business days to fix. This time around, I opened a new case on May 29th, and I have received the same form email( word for word - verbatim) for 4 weeks in a row -- they are looking into it. Finally, on 6/21/19, I received an email informing that they will proceed with my Buy back. The dealership will take it from here and I am still awaiting details.

Once bitten twice shy -- I would rather walk away from the I-Pace and make a fresh start with another good reliable EV. The question to the forum -- which EV would you recommend and please advise me on the pros and cons. I await your advise and thank you for it in advance.
I suppose it depends on what is important to you. If you bought the I-Pace for it's quickness, and you need to get to 60mph in less than 5 seconds, the only BEVs quicker are the Teslas. If you bought the i-Pace for the premium luxo-feel, the Audi is the only one equivalent or better. If you bought the I-Pace for it's uniqueness, you are kinda out of luck as the eTron looks just like the Audi Qs and Tesla's are relatively common now.

I would encourage you to look & test drive each of them versus making up your mind sight unseen. I hear a lot of people say the eTron is big, but although it is boxier looking than the I-Pace, it honestly isn't markedly larger when the are parked side-by-side. Styling is very much a personal taste, but it is hard to argue that the eTron doesn't lose. style points to the I-Pace. Driving them back to back, the Audi has my vote by a large margin, mostly because I am so, so disappointed in all the things the I-Pace doesn't get right, which primarily are associated with the infotainment/driver assist/general 'feel' of the car behind the wheel. For me, the eTron seats, steering wheel adjustability, instrument layout and functions are all superior on the eTron.

Best of luck in your search.
ejbritto likes this.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
I know someone at work with a Bolt. Seems to love it and no reported issues. Too econoboxy for me.
Not real excited about LEAF as it has no active thermal management of the battery. If travelling you get just one QC then it is throttled due to heat.
I would be inclined to go Audi. I have not even seen one in person. But I did buy the LEAF, RAV4-EV, and I-Pace sight unseen.
If you need max range I would be in the Model 3 or better if you can wait for the Y. Not quite the classic driving experience I want.
Niro and Kona I assume are good... need to see these in person and go for a drive.

Good luck on the search.
Broadly agree here. However:

Let's say that the probability of an i-Pace being a lemon like yours is 1%. Or 3% at most.
The fact that you had a lemon has no influence whatsoever on whether the next one is a lemon (unless you buy an old VIN off the lot).
So I would just get another, much-later VIN, i-Pace.
ejbritto likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page