Musty smell from HVAC in cabin? ... and odors in general entering the cabin? - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Musty smell from HVAC in cabin? ... and odors in general entering the cabin?

Reluctant to make a post that sounds like a complaint, but has anyone else experienced a genuinely 'musty' smell emitted from their HVAC upon starting up the car?? It last for a minute or two and is particularly intense as you turn on the HVAC system right at startup. I'm in Florida, so its humid, I get it, but my car is garaged and we've had consistently high heat and little rain for several days. This problem started about 4-6 weeks ago and just isn't going away. Very curious if this is unique to me.

Also, I've noticed that odors in general seem to permeate the I-Pace cabin more easily than any other car I've owned. Is my sense of smell just improving with age or has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?
post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:11 PM

Believe it or not, I still have that "new car" smell after 5 months. I know that smell are all the plastics off-gassing but I love it. What I noticed is that with the I-Pace, odor seems to penetrate the cabin easier compared to other cars I've driven. Case in point: I pass thru marijuana stores/dispensaries on my daily commute, and the smell easily comes into the cabin. Some of it smells "skunky."

I bought a canister of this product from Jaguar in case any of the smell sticks:
https://gear.jaguar.com/us/en/i-pace...#tertiary-tabs
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:19 PM

Mine is stinky sometimes ... it's lactic acid bacteria growing in the residual condensation water of the AC system ... same bacteria as smelly feet and yogurt. It's a fairly common problem with many cars. Put the blower on high with the AC off and let it run for a few minutes to dry things out. It will smell at first but then go away.
Mister Dave likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:32 PM

Not getting the musty smell and I'm in humid Florida as well. I have a fairly sensitive sense of smell as well, for what it's worth. Try Sciencegeek's solution. Hope it works.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Mine is stinky sometimes ... it's lactic acid bacteria growing in the residual condensation water of the AC system ... same bacteria as smelly feet and yogurt. It's a fairly common problem with many cars. Put the blower on high with the AC off and let it run for a few minutes to dry things out. It will smell at first but then go away.
Now if I could just get rid of the smell of grandchildren's poopy diapers in the garage, car would smell like roses... Something gives me the feeling I've been through this before but I'm too old to remember... 🤪
sciencegeek likes this.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:28 AM

I get this smell from time to time as well. I also notice the car lets in a lot of outside smells even with that special cabin option thingy...

I've heard there may be some software update that helps this?
epirali likes this.

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
What he said.
epirali likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Reluctant to make a post that sounds like a complaint, but has anyone else experienced a genuinely 'musty' smell emitted from their HVAC upon starting up the car?? It last for a minute or two and is particularly intense as you turn on the HVAC system right at startup. I'm in Florida, so its humid, I get it, but my car is garaged and we've had consistently high heat and little rain for several days. This problem started about 4-6 weeks ago and just isn't going away. Very curious if this is unique to me.

Also, I've noticed that odors in general seem to permeate the I-Pace cabin more easily than any other car I've owned. Is my sense of smell just improving with age or has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Same exact problem...in South FL; began occurring just after they fixed my "leaky" A/C valve a couple months ago. Hmm? Going in for service tomorrow for the Brake Regen Recall so I will mention it to my dealer SA to try to resolve as well.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 06-23-2019 at 10:46 AM.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Not worth a special trip to the dealer (although my Regen Brake Recall letter just arrived), but when I visit I will lodge a 'service ticket' for it to see if there is some magic software update (sgtpeper, above?) for this.
FYI, I *did* get the "Ionic cabin air filter" option but apparently to no advantage. I've since read on the UK forum others mentioning the ease with which odors enter the I-Pace cabin. Maybe without the fear of CO entering the cabin from an ICE propulsion system, the EV design is more tolerant of air/smell penetration?
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-23-2019, 05:35 PM

@dtgsrq - That's what I'm talking about as well. Someone said one of the module updates makes the ionic cabin filter work correctly and that after it was done smells stopped entering the cabin as easily.
dtgsrq likes this.

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page