Jaguar produced the better car, but Audi produced the better ad... - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter

Jaguar produced the better car, but Audi produced the better ad...

As much as I love the Monaco 3AM ad for the I-Pace, I have to say Audi knocked it out of the park with this ad for the e-tron. That said, I think I like it because its more about EVs generally than the e-tron vehicle specifically? Still great work! Watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=5lloWmgHj6Y
post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 02:52 PM

I think this is still my favorite electric car ad. It's for the Nissan Leaf way back in 2011.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

That leaf commercial is awesome!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 03:31 PM
Super Moderator

I just about 90 minutes and 60 miles with
eTron and it is the better car. The IPace is quicker and definitely has a more attention getting style, but the eTron is fantastic. Yes, it is a bit ‘boring’ in the looks department, but it is amazing behind the wheel unless your primary focus is racing around. The user interface/infotainment system is light years ahead of the I-Pace.

If I were to consider a BEV again, there is no doubt I would be buying the Audi. For a moment I considered trading in the I-Pace but then the logical thinking overruled the impulsive thinking.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantrium View Post
eTron and it is the better car. The IPace is quicker and definitely has a more attention getting style, but the eTron is fantastic. Yes, it is a bit ‘boring’ in the looks department, but it is amazing behind the wheel unless your primary focus is racing around. The user interface/infotainment system is light years ahead of the I-Pace.

If I were to consider a BEV again, there is no doubt I would be buying the Audi. For a moment I considered trading in the I-Pace but then the logical thinking overruled the impulsive thinking.
If it were up to infotainment, decadent comfort, ease of operation, and technology, I'd be driving the 2019 Cadillac CT6 Platinum. It even handles amazingly well for a 4,400 lb land yacht due to true torque vectoring, 1000Hz shock adjustment, and intelligent AllWheelSteering.
It is several light years ahead of any EV in all areas.

Basically, if you don't offer hand's free driving, 900m thermal imaging, reclining massage heated/cooled seats for all occupants, reverse AEB, and dual HDTV wireless retractable rear infotainment with privacy curtains, and trunk big enough for mafioso usage, for under $100k, you are behind the curve now.

But while the CT6 is no slouch when thrown around curves, the Jaguar is a more tossable car even though it lacks true vector drive and all-wheel-steering, and surrenders 500lb and 10 hp to the Caddy.

I'm not sure Audi sells anything that would be on my radar today.
deafsoundguy likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
If it were up to infotainment, decadent comfort, ease of operation, and technology, I'd be driving the 2019 Cadillac CT6 Platinum. It even handles amazingly well for a 4,400 lb land yacht due to true torque vectoring, 1000Hz shock adjustment, and intelligent AllWheelSteering.

As awesomely wonderful as the tech sounds in the CT6, I wouldn’t own one if it was given to me (I would accept the gift and immediately sell it). No logical reason other than I am not a fan of the Cadillac style and ginormous land yachts are my least favorite vehicles. I had to drive Cadillac SUV thing (XR4? XT4?)for nearly 2 months a couple of years ago and have never disliked a vehicle more.

That may be how you feel about Audi’s. The eTron drives just like any of the other Audi SUVs Q2/5/7/8, they are all very similar and the eTron is the same in feel. If you like the Q’s you’ll like the eTron.

So which car is ‘better’ between the I-Pace and the eTron is ultimately a subjective, personal opinion and dollar for dollar, feature for feature, I pick the Audi no question. Others may opt for the I-Pace. Neither is a bad choice for a premium BEV
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 06:31 PM

Quote:
As awesomely wonderful as the tech sounds in the CT6, I wouldn’t own one if it was given to me (I would accept the gift and immediately sell it). No logical reason other than I am not a fan of the Cadillac style and ginormous land yachts are my least favorite vehicles. I had to drive Cadillac SUV thing (XR4? XT4?)for nearly 2 months a couple of years ago and have never disliked a vehicle more.

That may be how you feel about Audi’s. The eTron drives just like any of the other Audi SUVs Q2/5/7/8, they are all very similar and the eTron is the same in feel. If you like the Q’s you’ll like the eTron.

So which car is ‘better’ between the I-Pace and the eTron is ultimately a subjective, personal opinion and dollar for dollar, feature for feature, I pick the Audi no question. Others may opt for the I-Pace. Neither is a bad choice for a premium BEV
I have no idea about Audis/VWs of the modern era. When they sell something interesting I might try one.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:25 PM

Quote:

As a former dubhead (Beetle, Jetta, New Beetle) and Audi owner (A3, TT, A3 e-tron) and as somebody who originally planned on getting an e-tron quattro to replace my A3 e-tron, I would make the same decision again to get the I-Pace. I have test driven the e-tron quattro substantially recently and I can say that I would not enjoy my daily commute as much in it than in the I-Pace. That is all.

-Ben
deafsoundguy and epirali like this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post

Basically, if you don't offer hand's free driving, 900m thermal imaging, reclining massage heated/cooled seats for all occupants, reverse AEB, and dual HDTV wireless retractable rear infotainment with privacy curtains, and trunk big enough for mafioso usage, for under $100k, you are behind the curve now.

But while the CT6 is no slouch when thrown around curves, the Jaguar is a more tossable car even though it lacks true vector drive and all-wheel-steering, and surrenders 500lb and 10 hp to the Caddy.

All that may be true, but the CT6 is a sales failure of epic proportions.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-cadill...ain-1835652657

Also didn't they never ship supercruise with the hybrid?

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
All that may be true, but the CT6 is a sales failure of epic proportions.
https://jalopnik.com/the-2020-cadill...ain-1835652657

Also didn't they never ship supercruise with the hybrid?
Yup, sales are tragic on the CT6. It's still a great work of engineering. It's made of aerospace style webbed castings, adhesive bonding, aluminum, composites, and some high strength steel. It handles better than most cars that weigh 1,000 lb less. Very sure footed. It feels like a small sport sedan of similar price. The tech goodies are just fluff. It's the chassis and control software that make the car what it is. It's a true hotrod and it's not even that fast. But seriously, besides me, who wants a full sized sports car?

But... The CT6 Hybrid is heavily flawed:
The trunk is puny. And there is no pass-through. This is because they put the 18.4kWh battery where the back of the rear seats are. This also make it feel arse heavy when you try to slalom it. As good as the CT6 Platinum is, the Hybrid is seriously average in handling. They could not put the AWS, AWD, or magnetic suspension in it due to where the battery was placed. And to add insult to injury, they put the 2.0L Turbo in the nose, but it's RWD only.
You also lose the Supercruise, you lose the nice rear reclining massage seats, and the power privacy curtain. And the list gets longer.
It can be responsive. Sometimes. Acceleration in unpredictable.

We actually went to buy the Hybrid, and left with the Platinum instead. Same price at the time, but the 404hp TT is in nearly every way the better performance and luxury car.

BUT... There is not a better PHEV that I know of than the CT6 Hybrid. If you turn off the nannies and set it from stun to kill, it will roast the tires from a light. It runs the quarter mile in under 14 flat and over 100mph. It's speed limited to 152 mph like the Platinum is.

While the ATS-V and CTS-V are certainly quicker and faster, (there is a CT6-V but I have not driven it yet, 550? HP V8 TT) the CT6 has the better behaved chassis and it's easier to drive at it's limits with the nannys turned off. On a tight course with equal tires, it would probably be: CT6-V>ATS-V>CT6 Platinum>CTS-V but it would be a close race. On an open track? The CTS-V simply flies down the track and has the brakes to match.
jsimon7777 likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page