Recent service experience demonstrates massive advantage I-Pace has over Tesla - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

Recent service experience demonstrates massive advantage I-Pace has over Tesla

As discussed in another thread, I recently had to have my IPace serviced. Basically the car stopped taking a charge the night before and with less than 30 miles of range left, I decided to drive it straight to the JLR dealer.

Within half an hour of arriving at the dealer, I was on my way in an E-Pace loaner and my car was on the service schedule. It took them three days (plus a weekend) to have my I-Pace ready for me, good as new. But it was a complete non-issue for me, apart from the half hour dropping it off and half hour picking it up. I didn't have to sit and wait for a mobile technician. The issue was hardware, it was not something that could have been repaired via satellite tap-in to the vehicle. And having a loaner right away kept the inconvenience of the repair to a total minimum.

I know two people who didn't buy a Tesla over the past two years due to concerns about lack of service in the event of a problem. Having a local dealer option with loaner and a service experience that is basically the same as any ICE vehicle is a tremendous comfort compared to what I understand the service experience with Telsa is.
post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 AM

Honestly service experience is a hit and miss with Tesla depending on how many service centers are within your radius and each center. I have two near me (near DC), one was pretty painful. The second one has been better, but they are both kind of overwhelmed.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
I know two people who didn't buy a Tesla over the past two years due to concerns about lack of service in the event of a problem. Having a local dealer option with loaner and a service experience that is basically the same as any ICE vehicle is a tremendous comfort compared to what I understand the service experience with Telsa is.
Kinda hard for Tesla to locate a service center near you since your state bans Tesla from operating service centers in South Carolina, one of four states that do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_...ervice_centers)
superchuck500 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 12:36 AM

[QUOTE=dennis;36863]
Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
Kinda hard for Tesla to locate a service center near you since your state bans Tesla from operating service centers in South Carolina, one of four states that do this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesla_...ervice_centers)
Pardon my ignorance but what is the legal issue that states are arguing to keep Tesla out? Certified dealerships? Thanks.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 01:27 AM

Nevermind. I answered my own question and also determined why my JLR dealership pushed me towards E and F Paces. See attached:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/cant-...161318245.html
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:18 AM

Quote:
“Existing franchise dealers have a fundamental conflict of interest between selling gasoline cars, which constitute the vast majority of their business, and selling the new technology of electric cars,” CEO Elon Musk writes on Tesla’s site. “It is impossible for them to explain the advantages of going electric without simultaneously undermining their traditional business.”

Tesla also points out that its prices are fixed, and its salespeople are paid primarily on salary, not commission. “Customers will never be rushed into a purchase, haggle over the price of the car, wonder if they could get a better deal across town, or puzzle over confusing add-on products, like GAP insurance or rust-proofing.”
Yahoo finance lives up to it's "Yahoo" name once again. If you're buying a car with a government incentive, get the gap insurance. If you're leasing AFAIK it's required. No one rustproofs cars anymore. As for how sales people are paid, there's plenty of feedback on that from current and former employees.

Since you asked.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by alloveralbany.com
Direct automaker-to-consumer sales are now prohibited in almost every state by franchise laws requiring that new cars be sold only by licensed, independently owned dealerships. The specific prohibitions in these laws vary from state to state, but most are based on two underlying principles. The first principle is that allowing automakers to sell cars directly to customers will endanger the businesses of automobile franchisees, which presumably do not have the economic resources to compete with manufacturers on vehicle pricing. The second principle is that consumers need a knowledgeable, independent sales intermediary who is capable of guiding individuals through the buying process and can later be called on for support in the event of difficulties with the vehicle.

The promotion of these principles is evident in various state franchise regulations. New York State, for example, has its Franchised Motor Vehicle Dealer Act (see, NY Vehicle and Traffic Law, Title 4, Article 17-A), which prohibits any automaker from possessing ownership in a dealership offering its vehicles.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 02:50 AM

Thanks for the post, Mister Dave. It's good information. Also, I've never purchased gap insurance after leasing at least 5 or 6 cars both in Colorado and Rhode Island. Finance office always offers but has never said it's a requirement. You've given me something else to research 😉 on a sleepless night.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 03:00 AM

Research done:

https://www.thebalance.com/gap-insur...rights-2645574

This forum is great! Learning new stuff every day. 😁
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
Thanks for the post, Mister Dave. It's good information. Also, I've never purchased gap insurance after leasing at least 5 or 6 cars both in Colorado and Rhode Island. Finance office always offers but has never said it's a requirement. You've given me something else to research 😉 on a sleepless night.
You'll pay for it one way or another. The issue is simple - government 'incentives' hit the depreciation of the good. Lose your job with payments to make, or wreck the car and you'll find out if the insurance was/would have been a good choice. The leasing company knows how to cover its backside. The question for us is if we do.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Dave View Post

You'll pay for it one way or another. The issue is simple - government 'incentives' hit the depreciation of the good. Lose your job with payments to make, or wreck the car and you'll find out if the insurance was/would have been a good choice. The leasing company knows how to cover its backside. The question for us is if we do.
You're right about paying one way or another. I try to pay upfront with a healthy down payment and have good insurance (USAA) who've been awesome. Fortunately I haven't experienced either a job loss or totalled vehicle. Insurance has covered hail damage that I believe other insurance companies would have totalled.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page