AutoSteer - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

AutoSteer

Has there been any info on whether AutoSteer will be improved with an over-the-air update?

I test drove an I-Pace for the first time yesterday. The AutoSteer disengaged with no alert or warning and the car left the lane. I am used to Tesla Autopilot and if it disengages it sounds alerts and displays warnings that you need to take over. But with the I-Pace autosteer it seems you can never be sure if you or it is steering unless you constantly look at the indicator, so it seems very unreliable and not really usable. Just informing the user that it disengaged would be a huge improvement. Or is there something I'm missing about how to use it?
post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 10:49 PM

Autosteer is AWESOME - there is an alert in the 2020 and there are icons in the right corner to signify that it is engaged properly

2020 ZR
Yulong White / Performance Siena Tan seats/ Carbon Fiber Exterior/ 22" Carbon insert Tires / Suede cloth headliner / Cooled glovebox / HUD / AdSR / Extended leader package/ 4 Zone Climate control/ Adaptive Dynamics / Front Fog lamps / Gloss Black side window surround and Activity Key.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsbc View Post
Autosteer is AWESOME - there is an alert in the 2020 and there are icons in the right corner to signify that it is engaged properly
Ok good. I tested a 2019 so the alert in the 2020 is a big improvement.

To be clear, it WAS properly engaged and it WAS steering, until the point that with no warning it wasn't, and the indicator which had been on went off but I don't stare at the instrument panel when driving so a more obvious notification will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:53 PM

Even the early edition works well for it's intended purpose, that is, as a redundant safety device, not a Pokemon Go assistant.
If you are expecting a self-driving car, it doesn't do that. It's Lane Keep Assist on steroids, not Super Cruise (fully hands free).
jsimon7777, NerdUno and epirali like this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagBNimble View Post
Ok good. I tested a 2019 so the alert in the 2020 is a big improvement.

To be clear, it WAS properly engaged and it WAS steering, until the point that with no warning it wasn't, and the indicator which had been on went off but I don't stare at the instrument panel when driving so a more obvious notification will help.
The steering assist will also appear on the HUD if you program it that way. So you can look forward and tell if it's engaged.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
The steering assist will also appear on the HUD if you program it that way. So you can look forward and tell if it's engaged.
This one didn't have a HUD but when I get mine it will and I will put that in the HUD for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Even the early edition works well for it's intended purpose, that is, as a redundant safety device, not a Pokemon Go assistant.
If you are expecting a self-driving car, it doesn't do that. It's Lane Keep Assist on steroids, not Super Cruise (fully hands free).
Right, that is why I asked if there is something I'm missing about using it correctly. I don't expect it to be self-driving nor would I take my hands off the wheel, but if I think it's doing the steering then shouldn't I be able to stop actively steering myself, and if I must actively steer with it on as I would when it's off then what exactly is its purpose?
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:39 AM

My Autosteer seems to work very well on the interstates. A recent trip to Virginia Beach and back and I would say I used autosteer about 70% of the time. Its annoying that you have to shake the well every so often to keep it alarming, but other than that, it rarely dropped out.

Having test driven a Tesla before buying the Jag, I found the Tesla better on tighter roads, where the Jag will not stay connected as you described. But out on the interstates, no problems at all.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGhiron View Post
My Autosteer seems to work very well on the interstates. A recent trip to Virginia Beach and back and I would say I used autosteer about 70% of the time. Its annoying that you have to shake the well every so often to keep it alarming, but other than that, it rarely dropped out.

Having test driven a Tesla before buying the Jag, I found the Tesla better on tighter roads, where the Jag will not stay connected as you described. But out on the interstates, no problems at all.
That matches my experience
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 06:16 AM

In 2019 despite all the displays (including HUD) there still needs flow be an audible warning.
dtgsrq likes this.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 08:01 AM

Auto Steer as safety function

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagBNimble View Post
Has there been any info on whether AutoSteer will be improved with an over-the-air update?

I test drove an I-Pace for the first time yesterday. The AutoSteer disengaged with no alert or warning and the car left the lane. I am used to Tesla Autopilot and if it disengages it sounds alerts and displays warnings that you need to take over. But with the I-Pace autosteer it seems you can never be sure if you or it is steering unless you constantly look at the indicator, so it seems very unreliable and not really usable. Just informing the user that it disengaged would be a huge improvement. Or is there something I'm missing about how to use it?
I found it took a very short time to realize the benefits of the Lane Assist or whatever we want to call it. You still need to pay attention. I found that driving in very heavy rain, it provided confidence that I was in the lane which was not completely obvious to the eye. I was pleasantly surprised it did not disengage.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page