Dashcam install pics - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes
  • 4 Post By billfan
  • 1 Post By StormRune

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-14-2019, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Dashcam install pics

In case anyone is interested, I just got my dashcam professionally installed and attached some pics. They did a great job hiding it behind the rear view mirror so I can't even see the cam when sitting in the driver's seat, and all the cables are hidden.

After a lot of research I chose the BlackVue DR750S-1CH Cloud Dash Cam with the Power Magic Pro Hardwiring Kit. It's 1080p which I'm finding more then adequate. There is a 4k model (900s) but it was more money than I wanted to spend and the 750s was on sale. I also went with just 1 channel because the installer said there was no way to install a back camera without it getting hit by my frequent cargo loading and large dog with large tail that hangs out back there 😃. The power magic pro hard wiring kit is really useful and they integrated it in the glove box very seamlessly so it's not in the way. It provides power management so when the camera is in parking mode it's not going to kill the battery. I also love that this particular camera is cloud-enabled so I can change all the settings and view all the clips on the app on my phone. Installation was $200 on top of the cam which I got for $220 at the time on sale.

https://www.blackboxmycar.com/produc...vue-dr750s-1ch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_123604_1560541991257.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	1869   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190614_124221_1560542003327.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1871  
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:31 AM

That's pretty cool. What's your motivation for a dash cam?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:39 AM

Im checking it out for install, thanks

2020 ZR
Yulong White / Performance Siena Tan seats/ Carbon Fiber Exterior/ 22" Carbon insert Tires / Suede cloth headliner / Cooled glovebox / HUD / AdSR / Extended leader package/ 4 Zone Climate control/ Adaptive Dynamics / Front Fog lamps / Gloss Black side window surround and Activity Key.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-15-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Just want to protect myself against road rage or other stupid drivers, plus I frequent a plaza everyday where there many businesses and small parking spaces and other people have had their cars hit, so I wanted a cam with a good parking mode that would still capture activity while the car is parked.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
The DashCam Store, where I bought my BlackVue, has a page with some good example videos showing why a dash cam can be a good thing. In multiple instances here a person with a dashcam was able to show the other driver wasn't truthful, including one where a border patrol agent tried to blame the innocent driver with the dashcam with running a red light when the camera clearly showed otherwise. Who would have been believed if it wasn't for the camera? I figure with an expensive car we're even more likely to be blamed or sued by others fishing for a settlement.

https://www.thedashcamstore.com/dash...cident-videos/

I splurged on the 4K BlackVue 900 with front and rear cameras. It is far better than any of the three prior cameras I've had (although the ThinkWare in my truck is fairly good but pales in comparison). I self-installed and took some photos and videos in case I get around to posting a DIY here. It really wasn't too bad as long as you are comfortable using simple trim tools and go for the ODB-II power hookup. I also did what I think is a clever rear window installation that has the camera well to the top of the window for a better view of the road and only barely in your rear view mirror view, and the front one is well tucked up behind the mirror so it doesn't interfere with your forward view either.

So far it hasn't helped me personally, but twice over the last couple of years I was able to help someone else. I provided police with a video of someone breaking into someone else's car that my truck was pointed towards while parked. In the other case someone ran a red light and caused a t-bone crash that they tried to blame on the other driver a short distance in front of me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 7.28.39 PM.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1917   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 7.28.22 PM.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	1919  

Last edited by StormRune; 06-19-2019 at 08:38 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2019, 10:57 PM

Is a camera powered off the 12v battery? I want something that is recording full time in case somebody breaks in or vandalizes the car, but that also won't kill the battery if I leave for a week on vacation, etc.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Ordered: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
Is a camera powered off the 12v battery? I want something that is recording full time in case somebody breaks in or vandalizes the car, but that also won't kill the battery if I leave for a week on vacation, etc.
For the BlackView, there are two versions of the Power Magic Pro. Both have DIP switches you can set to say how low the voltage of the 12V battery can drop before it turns off power. I use the OBD-II version since installation with that is trivial. On the chance I know I'm leaving the car for a long time ahead of time I can easily unplug the camera on the device on the windshield as an extra measure of protection so I get no battery drop at all.

The ThinkWare has similar cutoff capabilities but it is controlled by software from the ThinkWare app itself. The cutoff is in the actual dash cam.

Note that you can use the fuse-box hardware version of the Power Magic Pro to manage power limits for any device including other brands of dash cams.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-20-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

Since i had mine professionally installed they hard wired it to the fuse box and mounted the power magic pro control box in the glove compartment out of the way (it's very small) but yeah I'd recommend the Blackvue 750 or 900 with Power Magic control box so the camera will still work in parking mode but not kill the battery. There is also a power switch on the Power Magic Pro control box...in the "On" position it will use its smarts to draw necessary power even when the car is off but not kill the battery...in the "off" position it will just turn on with the car and completely turn off with the car, like any other cheaper dash cam...this could be useful if you're going to park it unused for a long period of time.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-29-2019, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormRune View Post
[

I splurged on the 4K BlackVue 900 with front and rear cameras. It is far better than any of the three prior cameras I've had (although the ThinkWare in my truck is fairly good but pales in comparison). I self-installed and took some photos and videos in case I get around to posting a DIY here. It really wasn't too bad as long as you are comfortable using simple trim tools and go for the ODB-II power hookup. I also did what I think is a clever rear window installation that has the camera well to the top of the window for a better view of the road and only barely in your rear view mirror view, and the front one is well tucked up behind the mirror so it doesn't interfere with your forward view either.

So far it hasn't helped me personally, but twice over the last couple of years I was able to help someone else. I provided police with a video of someone breaking into someone else's car that my truck was pointed towards while parked. In the other case someone ran a red light and caused a t-bone crash that they tried to blame on the other driver a short distance in front of me.
I'd be interested in your DIY. Also curious on your decision to go with Blackvue vs other brands.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-30-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorachef View Post
I'd be interested in your DIY. Also curious on your decision to go with Blackvue vs other brands.
Your asking pushed me to go ahead and take the time to do this. Thanks! Here's a link to a thread I created for it:
https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/49...tallation.html

As to why I chose the BlackVue it was largely because it was the first major vendor to provide support for 4K coupled with their excellent reputation on the Porsche forums. I had a ThinkWare F800 that is now living in my truck full time and it has proven very reliable too, but I tired of moving it back and forth when I'd switch vehicles and I've been wanting to add a back camera for some time.
How often does a problem show up behind you in cars given the propensity for getting rear-ended by distracted or aggressive driver? It's probably just as if not more likely than something happening in front. I also have found that reading license plates is not as easy as you'd expect with either 1080p or 4k cameras, but at least the 4k helps a bit more.

The other-brand cameras I had all had the tendency to quietly stop recording after a while made them questionable. They seem to occasionally corrupt their memory cards and not report it in an obvious manner. I've never had either the Blackvue or the Thinkware stop working. Yes the cost is much higher, but if I'm bothering to spend the money to do this then I want to make sure it actually works when I need it.

I have a story and videos of a guy who started following us as we left a parking lot a couple of weeks ago and was following us turn for turn even after I started taking odd turns and loop backs. I became spooked and managed to shake him off by a combo of good old I-Pace acceleration away from stops and stop lights. Out of curiosity, I later went back through the parking lot videos and saw him walk out of the eating place we were at 13 minutes before we left and move his car out near the parking lot exit. When we left 13 minutes later he fell right in behind us and followed us for two or three miles despite our unusual turns. I have to think he may have been casing us for a robbery. I certainly didn't want to lead him to our house! It was just too weird. If something had happened I was happy that I would have had evidence and an id.
fedorachef likes this.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page