9Likes
  • 6 Post By McRat
  • 1 Post By McRat
  • 1 Post By 2761
  • 1 Post By McRat

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

1428 mile round trip data -

Whew! My first "long" EV trip was a roundtrip from Southern California to Salt Lake City, Utah. Total trip was 1428 mi, but I calculated the major freeway driving of 1315 miles separately.
No range test is ever complete without the driving variables.
Prep: 20" All Season Tires (OEM) car had ~7,500 miles. 44 psi in all 4 tires. Car is a First Edition, and total passengers and cargo were ~600 lb.
Weather: 48°F to 113°F (brief), winds up to ~25 mph (thunderstorm activity), hot and sunny in the Nevada area, heavy and light rain in thunderstorm conditions in Utah.
Terrain: 800' to 6,600' elevations, about 1/3 the drive relatively flat (2000'), the rest was a series of mountains. Both low deserts, high deserts.
Speed: Nearly all driving was using Adaptive Cruise Control set to 81 mph, or 75 mph. One close call from radar (caught on dash camera), as officer tagged the driver in front of me. The posted limit was mostly 80 mph, some 75 mph, and some 70 mph. The ticket was in a construction zone marked at 60 mph at 75+ mph. Ouch, double fines.

Results: Average miles per kWh - 2.474 mi/kWh. Average range assuming 82 kWh capacity = 202.85 miles per charge.
Highest reported charging speed - 102.x kW at an Electrify America 150kW charger in Spanish Fork, Utah. Although a typical charge session was an average of ~80kW speed. Typically stopped charging at 75% SOC, but did go as high as 85% at a CCS2.
Average speed is misleading, because trips to chargers from freeway and back hurt the time factor. And road incidents have a huge effect. The best situation of pure 81 mph for a 100 mile segment was 77 mph, but the trip average was 63.9 mph including all traffic related delays, but not charging session delays.

Infrastructure: Not for the faint of heart. Two critical locations had significant issues, but all could be overcome. An Electrify America site had 1 DOA charger, 1 charger that would not engage, and all chargers had Microsoft Windows errors displayed: OUT OF MEMORY and Anti-Virus messages. We did get one 150 kW to work, which oddly enough broke the 100 kW barrier on our car for the first time. This was all done in the rain during a thunderstorm with no canopy. Arggh...
A ChargePoint 50 kW had a dead LCD display. Because I knew how this brand of CCS worked, I did get it to charge with no problem. So don't assume a charger with dead screen, or warnings on the screen will not work. Universally for this trip: Grab your payment method and your key, turn off IGN and quickly exit car, open charge door, and plug in the CCS cable. Now use your payment method. RFID cards are the most reliable if that is an option. One location (EVgo) had a broken ATT Cell Tower, so a cell phone or calling the EVgo office was not an option. Without a RFID, it would have stranded us.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3478.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	1817   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3509.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	377.8 KB
ID:	1819   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3513.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	246.1 KB
ID:	1821  

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 09:57 PM

Awesome!
Dare I ask how long it all took?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sciencegeek View Post
Awesome!
Dare I ask how long it all took?
We are not selling our gas car...

16 hrs up. But there was a 1 hour 'sit and wait' construction situation in over 100°F heat. Stop and go traffic doesn't always help range. That hurt hard. It peaked at 113°F.

Return time is more difficult. It was about 1-2 hr less freeway, but we did some sight seeing, and side trips. Of course we stopped in Las Vegas. It was my wife's birthday. She was great. A lot of folk would not have had the patience or endurance, or took it as a 'gift'. God rewarded her though, she won over $6k on slots. Good times!
sciencegeek likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:35 PM

The slot machine haul will more than cover your speeding ticket. Thanks for all the data and I hope you had a great time.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurtSprings View Post
The slot machine haul will more than cover your speeding ticket. Thanks for all the data and I hope you had a great time.
I dodged the ticket. I have it on video, and will post it when I edit it.

I saw the cop too late. Normally they hide in the center median turnarounds with cars or SUVs. This was a motorcycle on the right shoulder. I saw him pointing the gun at me, and I lifted (lots of regen). Then my heart sank I saw him coming up from behind with his lights on. I thought I had it. I was 15 mph over since it was a 60 mph construction limit.
However, he picked off another car from the pack, a black sedan.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 10:47 PM

Whew! The force was strong with both of you! Jedi I-PACE driver to policeman, "Pull over the Nissan, pull over the Nissan. There is no speeding here"....
McRat likes this.

Last edited by 2761; 06-03-2019 at 10:50 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 04:17 AM

One segment on my recent longest (for me) trip showed 71 mph average speed, 2.44 mi/kWh.
That was with adaptive cruise control set at 77 mph, and 37 psi all around on the stock tires. Flat roads, 90+ degrees F., and only about 650 miles on the car at the start if that makes any difference.

I wonder how much difference running with 44 psi might have made?

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Corris Grey - Ebony/Ebony
Delivered 2/22/19
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 06:29 AM

Great pics—I was lamenting the demise of the traditional Jaguar ‘Leaper’ that used to be on the hood of my previous XJ8, but I see you have come up with a much lighter weight solution!

Hats off to you for leaving your Range Anxiety behind and completing that trip. While it is fun to experiment, eventually you tire of such meticulous planning required to be able to complete a more or less routine run.

Last week I had to go from Toronto to Thunder Bay to Winnipeg and then back again in the span of four days while completing some work at each city. Total round trip of 4400 kms. Needless to say, the mighty Jag sat at home while I knocked off the journey in the Minivan after which I commented to others: ‘Nothing beats long distance driving better than a minivan’. It sort of drove home the point that the Electric Future still has a long way to go to catch up to our internal combustion brethren.

Still praying for a Range-Extender option to be available one day...
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-04-2019, 09:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderdaleFE View Post
One segment on my recent longest (for me) trip showed 71 mph average speed, 2.44 mi/kWh.
That was with adaptive cruise control set at 77 mph, and 37 psi all around on the stock tires. Flat roads, 90+ degrees F., and only about 650 miles on the car at the start if that makes any difference.

I wonder how much difference running with 44 psi might have made?
I have not tested it in the Jaguar yet, but on other cars, mileage improves after the tires start to wear down. And higher pressures do two things, slightly increase efficiency at the expense of braking distance, and more time given if you have a less than blowout loss of air pressure. For desert travel, I pack water and run higher tire pressure after learning the hard way decades ago. But since the invention of the cellphone, it's not as critical. If there is reception.
LauderdaleFE likes this.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRat View Post
Two critical locations had significant issues, but all could be overcome.
This is the biggest thing for me. I've always got to have a Plan 'A' and a Plan 'B' along the entire route. I've even had a Tesla supercharger station entirely fail on me in western Washington! After the experience of huge delays and uncertainties with an EV long haul in a Tesla, we're in the same boat. Rent a gas car for that occasion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page