Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum banner

Chill out and enjoy the ride

8K views 30 replies 16 participants last post by  Sbingham60 
#1 ·
This car is utterly fantastic to drive, bar none the best overall vehicle I've ever driven, Teslas included.

But people are losing their minds over little things:
"I can only charge at 80 kilowatts! Oh no! I'm returning this car even though I always charge at home."
"It takes too long for the navigation system to start up."

Chill out people. This is a plum ride. The complaints here are a fraction of what they are in the Tesla forum. Stop feeling entitled because you spent 94k on a car, and start enjoying the car that's worth every penny of 94k. Nothing is uglier than a sense of entitlement.

And be nice to the service people. For goodness sake. It's just a car, not your baby they dropped or your private parts they stepped on.

-Jon

#2 ·
All good points, I just want to say that I am pointing out the flaws, but I NEVER am unkind to service or sales people over it, and it doesn't mean I don't LOVE the car.

I think unlike the Tesla fandom a lot of us can hold two somewhat contradictory ideas at the same time. We can love the I-Pace, but still acknowledge the bits that drive us nutty. Kind of like those significant people in our lives, past and present...

#30 ·
DM me, mine was just cleared through customs yesterday! Im told I can take delivery later this week !!!
:grin2:

#4 ·
I honestly feel a bit bad that it hurts your feelings that some folks aren’t as orgasmic about their cars as you are. But that’s life.

Here’s what I can offer. You say whatever you want about your car and everyone else can say what they want about their car.

I also feel a little bit bad that the IPace is the best vehicle you have ever driven. Granted, personal tastes vary quite a bit and that’s a good thing, but both objectively and subjectively, the IPace is not anywhere close to the nicest vehicle I’ve driven.

Spend a long weekend test driving cars and I would think you could run across several that beat the IPace hands down. But, too each their own and that is really great you have found your perfect fit.

But please don’t presume you’re in a position to tell others how they need to feel about their own cars. That would be great...

#20 ·
Just curious what other vehicles you've had that you think are way better than the i-Pace? Most of us on this board seem to be fortunate enough to have had a bunch of nice (expensive) cars, and therefore have some means of comparison. You are right that tastes vary, but I'm so wowed by the i-Pace that it is at the top of my list.

#5 ·
JSimon, people are legitimately frustrated with their vehicles and some have experienced catastrophic failures requiring Jaguar to replace their vehicle with a new car. I think part of the frustration is paying big money for a car that has many problems.

I love my I-PACE and wake up every morning thinking about where I can drive just to experience the pleasures of the car but I also need the navigation and infotainment systems to work. I worry about the car's reliability when my wife drives it or when the grandkids are in the back seat. I worry that the car won't charge when far from home because of charging station compatibility issues that other cars don't suffer from.

My other car is a 2017 Ford Fusion AWD with nearly every safety, navigation and infotainment system found on my Jaguar but the car is bullet proof. Everything works great. The infotainment system is simple and flawless at half the price of my I-PACE. I've never needed a repair in the three years we've owned the car. My I-PACE was in the shop for repairs only a week after the purchase and I need to take it in again due to the numerous software problems.

Do I prefer the Fusion? **** no, but I spent huge money for a Jag and have the expectation that everything works.

I totally understand the concerns of other forum members. They are entitled to get a well built and reliable car at the prices Jaguar is asking.

#7 ·
We all have the same frustrations and Ford has had over 100 years to get it right. Jaguar has had less than a year to dial it in. Please the car is great and comfortable and you really don't want to pull up to your country club in a fusion! Enjoy the ride![img= class=inlineimg]https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/images/I-PaceForum/smilies/tango_face_angel.png[/img]
I certainly enjoy the drive and I love my I-PACE. If the infotainment, navigation and voice command problems we're unique to the I-PACE I would agree with you completely but Jaguars and Land Rovers are all experiencing the same issues. The technologies used in today's cars are recent and some companies do better than others and Jaguar, for the money paid, is one of the worst. I would be proud to drive my Fusion to a country club if I joined one but as W.C. Fields said, "I would never join a club that would have me as a member." Lol

#8 ·
As I said, I think there's some relaxing that needs to happen.

Also I cannot think of another car that I'd rather have. A P100D might be fun and nicer in acceleration, but the overall package wouldn't cut it. M5? E63? Better in other ways, but not electric. No instant torque. Even the Panamera Turbo S E-Hybrid is slower in point and shoot traffic.

#10 ·
Funny how people's experiences are so different. My I Pace has been completely faultless since day one save for one very minor issue - the inside passenger door handle needs a real yank to get it open. (I know how to fix it but don't want to void the warranty by doing so. It can wait til I'm in the vicinity of the dealer.)

Yes, the infotainment is a bit slow but I don't find it all that bothersome. Voice commands work fine. I just updated the maps and that all went as well as it should. Phone, Live, Internet, Remote - all operating normally.

Then add the performance and the unique Jaguar combo of handling and ride, what's not to like?

(Just by way of background, I've been driving for over 50 years and have owned more high-performance cars than I can count. This is the the car I most enjoy.)

Now, having said all that I can wait for Murphy, whose law may confound me.

#11 ·
jsimon7777 YOU ARE CORRECT...

Sometimes we just need to step back and relax. It's a good car, always at the ready, and...some of this is the price to be paid for being early adopters. And just about everybody on this forum (by definition) is an early adopter.

However, JSIMON7777, you are most likely the type who is a uplifting person, one who sees the bright side of things and would say even if your "private parts" were steeped on, "hey, at least it wasn't your brain!!"

QUESTION FOR ALL/ANYBODY. Taking a 10 day get away. Out of town. 10 days. Leave the i-Pace plugged in or unplug?

Thoughts? Thanks!

#12 ·
I'm not so Pollaynnish, but this car makes me feel that way.

Plugged or unplugged doesn't matter, but put a battery tender on the 12V if you haven't had the recall done.

#16 ·
I agree the car is wonderful. Drives like a dream. Some quirks but nothing troubling.

Can't imagine needing a map update already. Are streets really missing?
As much as I hear people bemoan computer updates and how to avoid or stop them... suddenly on the I-Pace if the vehicle is a few days behind it becomes a crisis.

"And just drive, " she said
"Just drive, " she said

"Just keep your hands on the wheel, and just drive, she said."

Stan Ridgeway

#18 ·
I agree the car is wonderful. Drives like a dream. Some quirks but nothing troubling.

Can't imagine needing a map update already. Are streets really missing?
As much as I hear people bemoan computer updates and how to avoid or stop them... suddenly on the I-Pace if the vehicle is a few days behind it becomes a crisis.

"And just drive, " she said
"Just drive, " she said

"Just keep your hands on the wheel, and just drive, she said."

Stan Ridgeway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMPStLDUhSA
Oh man, what a throwback! That is so awesome. I'm going to download some Stan Ridgway right now. :D

#17 ·
I bought a 2014 Volt. For 5 years I had no issues other than a charge port replacement. There were several software updates, and I have one pending right now.

For 5 years I watched other people have some very serious issues. Indeed some of them had lemons.

It never bothered me to watch. I didn't take it as an insult to my car. I was just glad that I was one of the more fortunate.

#22 ·
One thing I discovered that I didn't really expect, is the attention the car attracts.
Nearly every place we stopped on a road trip, people complemented the car, and several wanted to talk about it at length.
People actually take pictures of it and want to see the interior.

But it is a car, and I didn't go into the purchase blind. I knew it was a Year One car that was a clean sheet by a 'smaller' car company with no EV or even plug-in experience. So I assumed they would get some things wrong. And they did. The charge light goes out? A 10 amp EVSE? Barely has a charge port light. Doesn't report charging rate correctly. But they also got so much 'right' packed into the car. I love driving it. I even did something that I made fun of others about: I used the car as an airplane. I wanted to see my daughter over 650 miles away. I would normally take a jet. My time is worth something. But I actually enjoyed the drive, it was something fun to do. We have a very nice touring car that runs on gasoline; in many ways the gas touring car is superior to the I-Pace. It even gets some attention. But the while the I-Pace has fewer luxury perks, it has enough, and it's more fun to drive.

If someone was expecting perfection on a Year One clean sheet car, they are having far better luck than I have had. The pioneers get the arrows. The settlers get there second.

#24 ·
Dantrium, I agree with you on so many I-PACE issues regarding the infotainment, navigation, reliability, etc. We paid big money and should absolutely expect the technology to work. I guess the level of disappointment we feel depends upon the level of importance we place on these problem areas. I've been very lucky and have only experienced problems that I consider annoying but not devastating and I am sad that you feel such strong buyers remorse.

I bought the I-PACE knowing about the limited charging infrastructure and slow charging times so I can't blame the car when waiting to charge. I knew exactly what I was getting into.

For me, all the annoying problems seem to disappear when I consider how efficient the car is, how fun it is to drive, and how I'm not spewing greenhouse gasses every day. I smile every time I think about traveling over 230 miles on $5.00 worth of electricity as I pay just 6 cents per kWh.

I also agree that everyone has their own criteria for what makes a great car. My friends and family never could see why I loved Saabs so much and why I was heartbroken when they went out of business but I quickly came to love the I-PACE as well. Even better, my grandchildren think it's the best vehicle ever which makes for a fun trip.

I look at EV drivers similarly to the people who bought cars in the late 19th and early 20th century when there were few paved roads, no highways, no gas stations outside of major metropolitan areas and vehicles that were totally unreliable. However, things improved so rapidly and I expect EV driving to improve even faster as demand grows.

Fortunately for EV drivers, the improvements will be mainly software and battery related - relatively easy. I expect JLR will fix many of the problems discussed in this forum and the level of satisfaction with the car will grow.

I try to focus on the big picture. I'm driving a nice looking, comfortable vehicle that's cheap to operate and meets 99% of my driving needs. Perhaps my perspective will change if something major breaks on the car but for now I am satisfied with my purchase. Perhaps one day JLR will iron out the bugs and you'll be glad you bought it.

#25 ·
Dantrium, I think we value different things in cars.

Volvo XC90 T8 - squealing, rough brakes, oddly surging power, and floaty handling, with a nice but overrated interior.
Honda Prelude SH - It was good for its time. Didn't feel so FWD, but the car is basic inside and nothing to write home about. Every Miata was superior.
E-Class - The S class is just better. The C class is just so much cheaper. The E-class is a great all around vehicle, but it isn't all that reliable and only comes with an ICE engine. It has to say AMG on it to get enough grunt, and then it comes with brutal suspension. All the good tech is on the S Class. The GLE with magic body control sounds pretty darned good, but they're still not shipping it with the trick suspension last I checked.
BMW M3 - The most overrated car in the world. I suppose it depends which gen you want. The E90 was nice, but there are too many faster, cheaper, more reliable options out there if ICE is still your thing.

ICE is no longer my thing.

I'd take a Fiat 500e, strip out the interior, add a Recaro seat, and then put on some springs and shocks before I'd buy an M3, Prelude, or anything else with an ICE. That is, stock, a truly fun car.

Reactions: ksattic
#26 ·
Dantrium, I think we value different things in cars.
Absolutely!

For clarification purposes - the list of my previous cars I said I would rather have right now than the I-Pace is just that, the cars I miss more than the joy I get from the I-Pace. The list goes back to the 80's and in no way makes any of those cars 'better' than the I Pace. But my memory of them makes me miss them every time I get in the car and am confronted with all the little things that bug me about the I Pace. If the I Pace just worked without all the little niggly annoyances, I am sure I would feel different about it.

But even then, I made a mistake buying a BEV. It just doesn't fit what I need a car to do. That is 100% my fault, not the car's, but it is still a problem and adds to my disappointment in the car.

I do not get significant joy from the I-Pace. For me the comfort is 'meh'. It's ok, but not out of this world. The M3 fit me significantly better. I drove straight thru from Salt Lake City to my house (just shy if 1200 miles) with nothing more than a couple gas stops (I think 3) and a few extra bathroom breaks and arrived without any discomfort at all. The seats were great for me. I drove the car for 3 years and nearly 60,000 miles and did not have a single issue - not even a minor annoyance. It just worked every time. That is what I value very, very high. In fact, none of the cars on that list of cars I miss gave me any problems with ownership - well, except that Spirit R/T. The timing chain snapped at ~10,000 miles but was repaired under warranty and I went on to drive over 100,000 trouble free miles.

My only point is that cars are highly personal transactions and what is worth it to one person is not to another, and that is great. I don't bash the car, but I have pointed out the problems I have experienced on this Forum to determine the extent of the problems and any potential fixes. My disappointment in my I-Pace is every bit as valid as your orgasmic views of your I-Pace.

By the way, I'm not sure which generation of Prelude you were referring to, but mine was a 3rd gen (1989) and it was an amazing car. I loved it and when I sold it to buy that 1991 Spirit R/T 2 years later, I almost instantly regretted it... "In 1987, Road & Track published a test summary that shows the 1988 Honda Prelude 2.0Si 4WS outperforming every car of that year on the slalom, with a speed of 65.5 mph (105.4 km/h), even besting exotics such as Porsche and Ferrari. For reference, the 1988 Chevrolet Corvette C4 took the same course at 64.9 mph (104.4 km/h)."

#27 · (Edited)
I hate getting back in into an ICE vehicle, and it will eventually get me in an accident. I must pretend I have fragile cargo on board. It's because the option to accelerate out of a traffic emergency is wildly unpredictable except in manual transmission naturally aspired V8s. But I can't see out of the Vettes adequately for traffic.

Favorite Track Car - 2002 Z06 Corvette - not offered with an automatic or shifting assist or open top, it is a riot to drive at it's limits, and not worth enough to worry about wrecking it at the track. Has a rollbar and 5pt. Nearly all 25,000 miles were spent on the track or driving to a track. It was never used for transportation.
Favorite Truck - 2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab 6.6L diesel turned up to 530 rwhp (~704 new SAE horsepower) 12.65@105 performance from any stoplight, even in the rain. Has towed 13,000 lb or carried 5,000lb in bed, and won sledpulling events, dragging a 50,000lb sled through the dirt.
Favorite Freeway Car - 2016 Cadillac CT6 Platinum. Every amentity you can think of except auto steering. Powerful, handles sharp, all-wheel-steering with magnetic suspension, comfy, economical, long range (500mi), big trunk, massive stereo, dual sunroofs, privacy curtains, thermal imagining, dual HDTVs with wireless headphones and remotes, all seats are AC/Heat, massage, and reclining, fronts are like 32 way? adjustable. Human concierge service, everything is hands free, etc, etc.

and

Favorite Urban/regional car - 2019 Jaguar I-Pace FE especially after I added a digital review mirror and integrated with Wase, Apple, and Google.

Reactions: Dantrium
#28 ·
I've owned 2 Ford Fusions - 1st was a PHEV that averaged 62 MPGe and now I have an AWD Titanium. Both cars had excellent driving dynamics and never needed a repair plus the technologies worked great including the infotainment. Yet I only liked and not loved them. They didn't seem to have soul - the things that made me excited to drive them. I can't even define what gives a car soul but I recognize it when I drive one.

The I-PACE is completely different. I look for excuses to get behind the wheel even doing chores my wife ordinarily does. It may be an imperfect vehicle but it's perfect for me. There's something about owning a Jaguar that puts a smile on my face.

#29 ·
I have admitted to myself that maybe half the reason I love my I-Pace is that it has a modern suite of features that nearly every new car has, and any newer vehicle would seem great relative to those updated functions.

My '06 did have heated seats and an air suspension, but was otherwise sparely trimmed. It had floaty boat handling, poor mileage and a mediocre sound system with no blue tooth, Apple-Play, or sat radio capabilities. So this is so much better just on those things that it is thrilling enough. Obviously anyone who'd experienced all of those would yawn, unimpressed, and I guess many have had many of them already in prior vehicles.

But I just don't notice the 1.5 second lags that annoy others, and the quirks and glitches that self-repair upon restart or by five minutes of driving are more interesting to me than maddening (at least so far). I have been lucky to be among the majority who have not had any severe problems.

Then the other half is the more unique aspects of the vehicle. I was determined to get an EV or a PHEV, and I did considerable research. I decided this model met my requirements better than any other, and I still think that was a correct judgment. If everything worked 100% all the time as it should, it would be a little better still. But the little rough on the edges is minor to me, and unlike what the old blues song said, in this case, 99-1/2 will do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.