Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Castro Valley, CA
How to make timed charging work
I went to Livermore Jaguar and had a long, enlightening talk with Jesus, the service manager.
1. Turn on vehicle departures/preconditioning and set a time when you night usually depart. I think you can do this for just one day a week but you might need all seven days. Do it in the car, not from the app, as the app doesn't update right away.
2. In the same screen, you can hit the options button to set a charge time. We have ours set from 11PM to 6AM.
3. When you park the car, it will ask if you want timed charging or not. Say yes. Sadly, this must be done every time. It should be the opposite. Also a window like a text message may block this.
4. Plug in the car and look at the dashboard. It will say that the car is on a timed charge.
5. The car may charge before the set time if it thinks that it needs more time to complete a charge. So if you have 5 miles left, a 32 amp charger, and only 7 hours of scheduled charge time, the car will start before the 7 scheduled hours.
It's a poorly designed system. Timed charging and departure/preconditioning times should not be connected, though I get why they did this.
My only question is, if I have one preconditioning time set for the week, and if I follow all the directions, will it charge during the preset hours even if the departure day is far away.
Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester