Car Auto-Corrects Lane Forceably - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Car Auto-Corrects Lane Forceably

Coming from a tesla the car does a fairly good job keeping in the lane. I would say Jaguar is similar, but there auto correction of the lane is just downright dangerous. If I get anywhere near the lane divider line the car we JERK to correct itself into the lane. Its quite forceful and very disconcerting. Even if I disable the driver awareness and Emergency lane keep assist the car still seems to do it. And a downside of upgrading to the latest firmware every time I drive again those settings I disabled are re-enabled again.
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Coming from a tesla the car does a fairly good job keeping in the lane. I would say Jaguar is similar, but there auto correction of the lane is just downright dangerous. If I get anywhere near the lane divider line the car we JERK to correct itself into the lane. Its quite forceful and very disconcerting. Even if I disable the driver awareness and Emergency lane keep assist the car still seems to do it. And a downside of upgrading to the latest firmware every time I drive again those settings I disabled are re-enabled again.
Emergency Lane Keep Assist is not a persistent setting when you turn it off. I have found you need to turn it off every time you start the car. This was also an area that Consumer Reports felt improvement was needed when they did their detailed testing. I have a few spots here in Florida where the car responds with Emergency Lane Keep correction when there is no vehicle or obstacle near. It seems to get confused by changes in color or tone of median lines, just like you mentioned above. It is not the normal easy correction that you would get with Lane Keep Assist when you start to cross the line. It is truly an emergency response to a non-obstacle that tries to send you into the next lane.

I don't know if this is a wide spread problem or just a problem with some cars where the calibration may be off. I've lived with it and haven't brought it up to the dealer yet.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Emergency Lane Keep Assist is not a persistent setting when you turn it off. I have found you need to turn it off every time you start the car. This was also an area that Consumer Reports felt improvement was needed when they did their detailed testing. I have a few spots here in Florida where the car responds with Emergency Lane Keep correction when there is no vehicle or obstacle near. It seems to get confused by changes in color or tone of median lines, just like you mentioned above. It is not the normal easy correction that you would get with Lane Keep Assist when you start to cross the line. It is truly an emergency response to a non-obstacle that tries to send you into the next lane.

I don't know if this is a wide spread problem or just a problem with some cars where the calibration may be off. I've lived with it and haven't brought it up to the dealer yet.
Its downright dangerous. In theory a good safety feature, but flawed execution. I've had passengers in the cars why I jerked the steering wheel like that and my reply is "it wasn't me it's the car".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:11 PM

I thought it was a setting in the menu to turn it off. I'm mixed on these driver-assist features. Sometimes they help. Sometimes they get in the way.

Photon FE, 2013 FR-S, 2017 RAM 1500, 2014 Forester
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 07:55 PM

If you set up a profile and then set the lane keep assist to off, it will default to off when your profile is active. The HUD works the same way. My wife does not like either, so her profile is set to turn both off and it does, while it is on for my profile.
jsimon7777 and epirali like this.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 08:46 PM

There is a difference between Lane Keep Assist and Emergency Lane Keep.
You can set LKA in your profile, but Emergency Lane Keep doesnt seem to obey the profile.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
plus a few extras
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I've never observed it this extreme. That said, I have countersteer off, I only have the rattle thing
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter

Its quite disturbing
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 03:39 PM

The settings for Lane Keep assist and Emergency Lane Keep are configurable, check the owner manual online:
"Select the Lane Keep Assist (LKA) option in the Driver assistance instrument panel menu to choose the level of lane keeping assistance. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

LKA options are:

Steering assist: Applies an opposing, corrective steering input.

Steering vibrate: Applies a vibration to the steering wheel.

When the vehicle is switched on, the previous LKA settings are recalled."

And:
"The emergency lane keeping system attempts to provide corrective steering inputs if it determines the vehicle is getting too close to a road edge. The system automatically switches on every time the vehicle is switched on.

If required, the system can be switched off via the Driver assistance instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU."
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-03-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanstein View Post
The settings for Lane Keep assist and Emergency Lane Keep are configurable, check the owner manual online:
"Select the Lane Keep Assist (LKA) option in the Driver assistance instrument panel menu to choose the level of lane keeping assistance. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU.

LKA options are:

Steering assist: Applies an opposing, corrective steering input.

Steering vibrate: Applies a vibration to the steering wheel.

When the vehicle is switched on, the previous LKA settings are recalled."

And:
"The emergency lane keeping system attempts to provide corrective steering inputs if it determines the vehicle is getting too close to a road edge. The system automatically switches on every time the vehicle is switched on.

If required, the system can be switched off via the Driver assistance instrument panel menu. See INSTRUMENT PANEL MENU."
Unfortunately Emergency lane Keep is not a persistent setting. You have to turn it off each trip.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
plus a few extras

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page