Car not charging tonight - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 11:23 PM Thread Starter

Car not charging tonight

So my i got my I-Pace three weeks ago and have had no issues with home charging (ChargePoint installed in garage). I have charged at home five or six times at varying lengths and it’s been great. Tonight, I’m doing everything as usual but it won’t charge. The car says “Initializing”, the IPace app says “preparing to charge” and the ChargePoint app shows minutes elapsing but no Kw’s added, no miles added.

Last night I needed to charge but forgot. So I plugged in this morning for a partial. When I was leaving, I just pulled the charger out - I didn’t stop the session on the app first. Could this have triggered a problem?

I’ve been messing with it for over and hour. I started the car (drove it) just to try to clear any electrical hangups. I unplugged the cord, flipped the breaker off for a while so the ChargePoint would reset. I tried various locking and unlocking sequences. None of it works.

One other thing I noticed was when I was sitting in the car on the “My EV” screen - there was an icon on the lower right that has a clock face with an electricity bolt on it. This icon is not in the owners manual and it’s not touchscreen active - does anyone know what it means? If it means that the car has a charge session scheduled, could that be why it won’t charge now? I didn’t set any charging times.

This is so frustrating - I’m on 18% and I have a huge day tomorrow, car is essential!

Any tips are appreciated. Thanks
post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 12:46 AM

I am Guessing that the car is stuck in a waiting to charging timing state. Make sure you do NOT have a time windows set-up in the car OR the app, if you do delete it. Close and lock the car, come back 10 minutes and unlock and then plug in your charging cable. See if that works
superchuck500 likes this.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:25 AM

I don't have a ChargePoint charger, just a fairly basic 7.2kW cable. It does not start charging when I plug it in .. it requires some locking/unlocking unplugging gymnastics sometimes ...

I would flip the circuit breaker on the ChargePoint and thus reboot it ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchuck500 View Post
Last night I needed to charge but forgot. So I plugged in this morning for a partial. When I was leaving, I just pulled the charger out - I didn’t stop the session on the app first. Could this have triggered a problem?
Very possible. afaik I-Pace always locks the L2 connector to the vehicle. If you forced it to disconnect you may have damaged the mechanism. I believe the owners manual covers this at least briefly. Not sure if this would cause the charging to stop but definitely an issue.

Otherwise best I can say is to make sure all timers are set for immediate charge. Maybe try to cycle the system by unlocking and putting up the cord, start the car, turn off and try again. This a few times to try for a reboot of the software. Although I assume you have been doing that.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Roll View Post
Quote:
Very possible. afaik I-Pace always locks the L2 connector to the vehicle. If you forced it to disconnect you may have damaged the mechanism. I believe the owners manual covers this at least briefly. Not sure if this would cause the charging to stop but definitely an issue.

Otherwise best I can say is to make sure all timers are set for immediate charge. Maybe try to cycle the system by unlocking and putting up the cord, start the car, turn off and try again. This a few times to try for a reboot of the software. Although I assume you have been doing that.
Thanks - I checked the manual and that warning has to do with when the car is locked. It says to use the key fob to unlock before disconnecting. When I did it the car was unlocked.

No new development this morning - I tried all the sequencing again and reset the circuit breaker. Still won’t commence charging.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 08:34 AM

Check if you have set two things:
- vehicle preconditioning & departure -> Jaguar Owner Information

- settings of the Vehicle Preconditioning and make sure there is no Proffered Charging Period set.

"Preferred charging period: To set a charge time to benefit from off-peak tariffs when charging. Once selected, touch the up and down arrow keys to manually adjust the time further. The preferred charging period must be activated on the goodbye screen." - it does not matter what chargers you are using

The icon of the plug+Clock indicates vehicle departure is set, what leads to force some periods when charging happen.

Once you will change it, your charging should start immediately. Please check and update this thread.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by requieh View Post
Check if you have set two things:
- vehicle preconditioning & departure -> Jaguar Owner Information

- settings of the Vehicle Preconditioning and make sure there is no Proffered Charging Period set.

"Preferred charging period: To set a charge time to benefit from off-peak tariffs when charging. Once selected, touch the up and down arrow keys to manually adjust the time further. The preferred charging period must be activated on the goodbye screen." - it does not matter what chargers you are using

The icon of the plug+Clock indicates vehicle departure is set, what leads to force some periods when charging happen.

Once you will change it, your charging should start immediately. Please check and update this thread.
I have confirmed that pre-conditioning is off. The goodbye screen doesn’t indicate any preferred charging times set. Last night, after I tried everything for an hour, I did set a preferred charging time on the remote app - hoping that an after midnight start time might work. It didn’t work, but I don’t know how to reset or remove that - at least not on the app.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

I tried charging at Whole Foods and that didn't work either. One other thing I have noticed is that when I go to pull the cable after letting it try for a while, it comes out very easily - much easier than when it was fully connected for charging. I think the coupling isn't working, possibly from when I pulled it out yesterday. Though again the car was unlocked and from the manual, that appears to be the only warning with respect to disconnecting. For future reference though, I think the best procedure for disconnecting while still taking a charge would be to try to end the session through the EVSE software (can you end a session through the Jag remote app? I'm not sure).

Anyway, I took it to the dealer and now I'm in an E-Pace until they get it resolved.
jsimon7777 likes this.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
I tried charging at Whole Foods and that didn't work either. One other thing I have noticed is that when I go to pull the cable after letting it try for a while, it comes out very easily - much easier than when it was fully connected for charging. I think the coupling isn't working, possibly from when I pulled it out yesterday. Though again the car was unlocked and from the manual, that appears to be the only warning with respect to disconnecting. For future reference though, I think the best procedure for disconnecting while still taking a charge would be to try to end the session through the EVSE software (can you end a session through the Jag remote app? I'm not sure).

Anyway, I took it to the dealer and now I'm in an E-Pace until they get it resolved.
If the car is unlocked and if you press the release button on the top of the cable, you should be able to unplug (interrupt the charge) without any negative affect.
You can test the mechanism by plugging in the cable and gently tugging on it without pressing the release button. You should not be able to disconnect the cable without pressing the release button. (of course you can't do this until the car is back from the dealer)

Unfortunately, I have never used the app to set a charge time or pre-conditioning time, but you can call support to get help in removing settings.
The phone number can be found on this page - https://www.jaguarusa.com/incontrol/index.html
The number is 1-(800)-452-4827, Select 9 for customer service. You usually won't have to wait long to be connected.

When you go back to pick up your car, you can also have them call the customer service to correct any settings.

good luck

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras

Last edited by Sbingham60; 05-24-2019 at 10:56 AM.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-24-2019, 10:55 AM

Garage
When the car starts charging it locks the cable to the car regardless of if the doors are locked. To unlock the cable you have to "unlock" the car by using the key fob or the button on the door handle. If you didn't do that it likely broke the connector locking mechanism.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page