Clear bra & Ceramic coating - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Clear bra & Ceramic coating

Anyone go with a ceramic coating and or clear bra on their I-Pace? I'm on my second I-Pace, first one just replaced because of issues with first and decided not to get the dealers ceramic coating package. Instead going with a professional dealer that installs Opti-coat pro plus. When I talked to them about it they also suggested Xpel ultimate plus PPF for front of car and some side high impact areas. I'm going to have them do the b pillars for sure since they show swirl marks so easy.
I'm tossed if it ready makes sense to get the clear bra and how it will look and affect gloss and shine. To me I feel like putting the bra on would limit the max shine I can get after detailing.
post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 09:53 AM

Garage
I haven't done it yet (I don't get much time through the week, and most shops are closed on weekends), but I plan to get an Xpel bra and rear bumper cover so the CAV decals aren't on the paint itself and when they are useless I can just peel off the ppf.

I had an Xpel bra on my previous car (2012 Audi A6). It worked really well. No chips on the leading edge of the hood after 7 years.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 12:48 PM

We have a ceramic coat all over the car. I haven't bothered with a clear bra or anything like that. I figure it's a car, not the Mona Lisa, and only so much protection is worthwhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
We have a ceramic coat all over the car. I haven't bothered with a clear bra or anything like that. I figure it's a car, not the Mona Lisa, and only so much protection is worthwhile.

What he said^^^^^

My detailer (who visits socal once a year) works with CS II products. They come in several quality gradations. I went with the base ceramic coating on our leased I-Pace and Q7, a higher grade on my 911 DD, and Titanium on my pristine '91 NSX which previously had opti-coat. Quite pleased with the results in all cases.

Spyder
fedorachef likes this.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 04:20 PM

Post 5
https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/28...ar-i-pace.html

My detailer said keeping the ceramic coat reloaded will take care of the coating, so no need for the clear bra.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphanstein View Post
Post 5
https://www.i-paceforum.com/forum/28...ar-i-pace.html

My detailer said keeping the ceramic coat reloaded will take care of the coating, so no need for the clear bra.
Ceramic coating alone won't protect against rocks chips, scratches, etc. I had it on my first I-Pace and plenty of rock chips on the front; it was black.

I decided to go with the coating and XPEL PPF and XPEL tint. https://www.xpel.com/

Getting full front and all doors wrapped with Carpro skin coating on top then Opti-coat pro plus everywhere else. Carpro Leather for interior protection.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 10:48 AM

I went with SunTek PPF on the entire front. No ceramic coating. As fedorachef mentions, ceramic will not protect against rock chips, which accumulate like crazy in Northern CA.
fedorachef likes this.

I-Pace FE, Corris Gray, 20" rims
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 08:08 PM

I did clear bra on the front especially. Seeing as my bra on my hood now has a couple of deep nicks, my paint would be getting abused without it.
fedorachef likes this.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-30-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishball View Post
I went with SunTek PPF on the entire front. No ceramic coating. As fedorachef mentions, ceramic will not protect against rock chips, which accumulate like crazy in Northern CA.
Squishball how does the PPF look? Can you even tell it's there? I was considering this for my front end as well. Also if you dont mind I'd love to know how much you spent so I can compare...I'm in SoCal
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 06:03 AM

I did ceramic only on the whole car. There was an option to do the windows as well, but that sounded like a bad idea to me. Has anyone tried that yet?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page