My 1st & My LAST Jaguar - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 69Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

My 1st & My LAST Jaguar

As much as I love driving my 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE, I can't deal with the all the problems, whether big or small with this car brand. I am not trading my I-Pace in now, but will likely do so in 3 years after my I-Pace is fully paid for and the Porsche Taycan EV and Audi E-Tron GT arrive here in the US. This Jaguar I-Pace has been the least reliable vehicle I've ever owned and driven. I am saddened to experience first-hand the mechanical and computer software problems of this vehicle brand (and I know it's not just specifically with the I-Pace) as I really thought that Tata Motors and JLR have greatly improved the Jaguar vehicles in the past several years. That only seems to be true in terms of the design and expanded vehicle offerings of the brand, but definitely NOT the case in terms of build quality and reliability. In my experience now, JLR doesn't hold a candle to other luxury and sports car brands such as Porsche, Audi, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc.

Whether it's their software bugs in their Touch Pro Duo system, terrible Navigation system (specifically with the simply pathetic Voice Commands which actually work only 50% of the time), unexplained strange but dangerous mechanical failures such as sudden acceleration in reverse (no fault ever determined & vehicle just handed back without any fix or software update, btw), and now my I-Pace A/C compressor (and/or something else with the A/C?) just failed so my I-Pace was blowing hot, humid air for a few days in 93 degree heat here in South Florida before bringing it in to my dealer for repair. It ALL just sucks! I mean the vehicle is just 4.5 months old and the Air Conditioning just failed...WTF?????

The fact is that my I-Pace is almost at my dealer's service department ("in the shop" as they say) MORE than I actually get to drive and enjoy it!!!! And that simply is NOT right.

Anyhow, just thought I would share as I try to be a very positive person and I know things will always work out, but in no way, shape, or form will I ever buy and drive another Jaguar ever again!! I drove my MB AMG for 93,000 mi. and my Porsche for > 56,000 mi....not 1 problem with either of those vehicles!!! Granted they are NOT all electric EVs but I bet whatever German EV I get next will be 100x more reliable than this Jaguar I-Pace even if it has a few issues at the beginning. When my loan on this I-Pace is fully paid for and I own it outright (about 3 years from now), I will trade this unreliable piece of junk Jag in for a much more reliable German EV and I will say "goodbye and good luck" to Jaguar forever. BTW - rumor is that JLR is up for sale as the 2 brands have been losing money hand over first the past few years. Gee, I wonder why?
phil and fedorachef like this.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 05-14-2019 at 06:48 PM.
post #2 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:08 PM

Yea, I'm in the same boat. I've been going through the buy back process for months now and I can't believe how painful and long it is. I literally had to get a local news station involved to help get some traction on this. I'm only getting another I-Pace because I would have to pay usage fees if I didn't and would have to pay back the EV credits I received. I even considered going with the Porsche Panamera Hybrid to hold me over until the Taycan is available. Porsche told me 12-18 months for delivery of Taycan. I crossing my fingers the new I-Pace won't have the same mechanical issues and will hold me over for a couple years then I'll dump it. I'm sure it will have the same software problems and maybe in the next six months or so the software will get improved but doubtful seeing how long its already been with no real improvements.
phil likes this.
post #3 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedorachef View Post
Yea, I'm in the same boat. I've been going through the buy back process for months now and I can't believe how painful and long it is. I literally had to get a local news station involved to help get some traction on this. I'm only getting another I-Pace because I would have to pay usage fees if I didn't and would have to pay back the EV credits I received. I even considered going with the Porsche Panamera Hybrid to hold me over until the Taycan is available. Porsche told me 12-18 months for delivery of Taycan. I crossing my fingers the new I-Pace won't have the same mechanical issues and will hold me over for a couple years then I'll dump it. I'm sure it will have the same software problems and maybe in the next six months or so the software will get improved but doubtful seeing how long its already been with no real improvements.

Well, live and learn for both of us. Strange because my wife's 2018 Land Rover Range Rover Velar is great! We did have a lot, and I mean a lot of software problems with the Touch Pro Duo system and Navigation, 4G and Traffic Info connectivity problems, etc. in the first 9-12 months of ownership with that JLR vehicle, but knock on wood, after several (like 6+) software updates on our Velar, and it's been fairly stable for a while with zero mechanical problems. My understanding was that the I-Pace's Infotainment system is the same as the LR RR Velar, albeit the EV components of the system but geez, way way too many problems in the I-Pace. I don't give a crap if it won The Best New Vehicle of 2019 or whatever, it's still an unreliable piece of crap in my book! What good is it, no matter how great it drives, if it sits in your dealer's service department for days and weeks at a time????
fedorachef likes this.

22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:21 PM

This is disturbing to read as I am researching if I want to buy an I-Pace (and I thought I did). Do people here have the feeling that lots of people have severe problems like this, or is it more common to have just minor problems like software glitches that aren't show stoppers? In any case if you are the one with severe problems it really sucks, but I'd like to know how likely that is to be me.
post #5 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagBNimble View Post
This is disturbing to read as I am researching if I want to buy an I-Pace (and I thought I did). Do people here have the feeling that lots of people have severe problems like this, or is it more common to have just minor problems like software glitches that aren't show stoppers? In any case if you are the one with severe problems it really sucks, but I'd like to know how likely that is to be me.
Sorry for the others that have the issues, but I can say that we don't have any such issues. I have a Jaguar XJL and the iPace and both have been trouble free, the occasional infotainment issues aside. I am at 5500 miles on the iPace.
phil likes this.
post #6 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 08:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagBNimble View Post
I think most people here have had and still may have software problems and as far as I know, we still do not have the OTA (over the air software updates) available in the USA...at least I have never seen any notification and had the ability to download a software update and install it on my own at my own home connected to my home wifi.

Plus, yes, I've had other issues as described above in my first post in this thread. Others have also had similar problems (there's another I-Pace owner / I-Pace Forum member here in South FL who also has a broken A/C which blows warm, humid air right now). IF I were you, I would wait until other brands begin offering their EVs like Porsche, Audi, VW, etc. IF you're not a Tesla fan. My Jaguar I-Pace cost me $90k and JLR treats me like I purchased a $19k Kia (or worse), and they're a bunch of idiots as far as I'm concerned...NOTHING like the folks at Mercedes-Benz and Porsche. This will be my last Jaguar. Just my $0.02.

Don't get me wrong though...when I'm actually driving my Jaguar I-Pace, I enjoy it thoroughly and it drives great...as good or better than my previous Porsche Macan Turbo BUT the reliability is piss-poor!! Least reliable vehicle I've ever owned and I've owned/driven Porsche, Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Infiniti, Lexus, Nissan, and other car brands.

22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 05-14-2019 at 08:40 PM.
post #7 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:10 PM

Probably shouldn't say this, but as I'm not superstitious, I will: I have had zero problems with my I Pace. Only a few thousand klicks so there's time yet, but so far everything is functioning perfectly. I don't even find the infotainment lag particularly problematic. (And it's much more fun to drive than my BMW 650ix Gran Coupe.)
wilco and LOLTSLA like this.
post #8 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbillcb View Post
Probably shouldn't say this, but as I'm not superstitious, I will: I have had zero problems with my I Pace. Only a few thousand klicks so there's time yet, but so far everything is functioning perfectly. I don't even find the infotainment lag particularly problematic. (And it's much more fun to drive than my BMW 650ix Gran Coupe.)

Consider yourself lucky. Certainly surprised you haven't had any issues nor find the Infotainment system slow and buggy. My I-Pace absolutely has the latest software updates and the voice recognition for Navigation works 50% of the time at best and it's still super slow compared to other lux vehicles I've been in; it's just horrible. Then, I hop into my 2012 Nissan GT-R and the voice recognition for Navi and other controls work flawlessly for everything...and it's 7 years old! Oh, and of course none of our other cars have ever had any issues with the air conditioning. Glad you have a trouble-free I-Pace but as you said, there's still time, lol. I have > 8k on mine (although I would've had > 10k mi. already if not for all the issues and time it spends at my dealer).

22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics
post #9 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 PM

I'm somewhere in the middle at this point.

The IPace really is pretty incredible to drive. I got in my Porsche 911 Turbo after storing it for the winter and while that car is silly fast, the lag now feels like forever as I've become so used to the instant tq of an EV.

Would I buy my IPace all over again? Probably not. I would have found a way to buy my diesel X5 from the lease and been just fine - and had a bunch more cash in my pocket.

The tech bothers me a ton. Voice control is truly pathetic. I changed it to the US voice which did help a bit but overall, it's SO slow and as mentioned above doesn't recognize the command or address very well at all. Even Apple Carplay fails fairly often now - it keeps saying my device isn't compatible - it's an iPhone 7 and works probably 2/3 of the time.

I think there is a great car somewhere in this car. I think lack of funding has really hurt this car, sadly.

I'm pretty much giving in to the fact that when I sell it in 2 years my 90k car will be worth about 30k. My money manager will love that...

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
post #10 of 96 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Consider yourself lucky. Certainly surprised you haven't had any issues nor find the Infotainment system slow and buggy. My I-Pace absolutely has the latest software updates and the voice recognition for Navigation works 50% of the time at best and it's still super slow compared to other lux vehicles I've been in; it's just horrible. Then, I hop into my 2012 Nissan GT-R and the voice recognition for Navi and other controls work flawlessly for everything...and it's 7 years old! Oh, and of course none of our other cars have ever had any issues with the air conditioning. Glad you have a trouble-free I-Pace but as you said, there's still time, lol. I have > 8k on mine (although I would've had > 10k mi. already if not for all the issues and time it spends at my dealer).
Why the **** are you using the in-system nav? CarPlay or Android Auto are the way to go. I've NEVER gotten the voice nav to work, but I've only tried it a handful of times as a curiosity--because why the **** would I use inferior nav? Not excusing JLR, but haven't figured out the benefit of using in system nav when the built-in alternatives work much better(especially around the accuracy of travel times with traffic.)

I've also never tried the auto parking system, because who the **** needs the car to park itself--especially with a backup camera & front and rear sensors?

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Ordered: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page