My 1st & My LAST Jaguar - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 72Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:06 PM

I have to use the regular nav from time to time simply because Car Play fails to work.

At the same time, I really hate Car Play because it's not wireless and I absolutely hate being forced to plug in.

OOOOH and when I am plugged in for CarPlay, I can't receive calls through the built in speaker in the car - I have to actually use the speaker on the phone to hear people. Neat!

Jeff in Denver
'19 Jaguar I-Pace First Edition
'03 Porsche 911 Turbo 6MT X50
'74 Alfa Romeo Spider
'17 Volvo XC90 Inscription - Wife's
post #12 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtpeper View Post
I'm somewhere in the middle at this point.

The IPace really is pretty incredible to drive. I got in my Porsche 911 Turbo after storing it for the winter and while that car is silly fast, the lag now feels like forever as I've become so used to the instant tq of an EV.

Would I buy my IPace all over again? Probably not. I would have found a way to buy my diesel X5 from the lease and been just fine - and had a bunch more cash in my pocket.

The tech bothers me a ton. Voice control is truly pathetic. I changed it to the US voice which did help a bit but overall, it's SO slow and as mentioned above doesn't recognize the command or address very well at all. Even Apple Carplay fails fairly often now - it keeps saying my device isn't compatible - it's an iPhone 7 and works probably 2/3 of the time.

I think there is a great car somewhere in this car. I think lack of funding has really hurt this car, sadly.

I'm pretty much giving in to the fact that when I sell it in 2 years my 90k car will be worth about 30k. My money manager will love that...
Haha. I agree with everything you said. Hoping after 3 years and approx 50-60k mi., my $90k Jaguar I-Pace will still be worth at least $40k as a trade-in, but wouldn't be surprised if it's worth less. That would indeed suck big time. Can't believe the Teslas still hold their value so well...it's perplexing to me. But, in 3 years, it may also be time for me to say goodbye to my '12 700HP/TQ GT-R Black Ed. (which should still be worth $45k-$55k or so...currently worth about $62k) as well...so I may trade in 2 vehicles for 1 Porsche or Audi EV.

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 05-14-2019 at 10:14 PM.
post #13 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 PM

Yeah, I'm anticipating this thing to drop in value like a rock. Jags are famous for depreciation--though I lucked out on my F-Pace--I bought it for $56k and sold it 2.5 years later for $48k with 25k miles on it. Best thing that could happen for resale value is for the federal government to kill the EV rebate--its making the initial depreciation really tough on EVs.

And I think you'd be surprised on Tesla's holding their values so well. WIth the 1547 different price drops they've done in the past 5 months out of desperation, lots of people have found themselves with a car that is in freefall in value. Tesla is also doing nothing to support resale value which is going to come bite them in the ass big time--among other things. They don't even do any prep/repair on their used cars--and they don't have a formal CPO program anymore.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Ordered: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:38 PM

Also, you have an iPhone 7--have you been doing software updates on it? I honestly have had not a single issue with CarPlay in the 5 months I've had my car, but I have the latest model XS Max and religiously perform iOS updates on it when they come out--including the one released today, 12.3.
gbillcb likes this.

2017 Jaguar F-Pace S
Ordered: 2019 Jaguar I-Pace HSE First Edition Corris Grey
post #15 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:55 PM

Honestly I feel bad you guys have had so much troubles, fortunately I can't say the same. My car hasn't had any problems. I agree the in car nav sucks, along with the voice nav, BUT I found an easy work around that works pretty well. It turns out that the Jaguar Route planner app actually works fairly well. So when I want to go somewhere I just search for it on the app, and then it passes it to the car. It does take a little getting used to because it always tries to take you on "foot" to your car first so when you are already in the car it gets that part confused, but even that is easy to work around once you play with the app.

Once the nav is set in the car it seems to wor very well for me. I often compare it to waze and mostly it is pretty close
gbillcb likes this.

Jaguar I-Pace First Edition Photon Red
post #16 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 11:24 PM

Meanwhile, my Tesla Model X has been in the shop about a dozen times for various issues, ranging from the front driver door latch ceasing to work to the counterbalance spring in the falcon wing door snapping off its mount to the car flat-out refusing to start to random computer reboots to shuddering under medium acceleration to the huge panel gaps. Aside from some of the software wonkiness everyone has been talking about, my I-PACE experience has been comparatively brilliant.
WattAJag likes this.
post #17 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
Hoping after 3 years and approx 50-60k mi., my $90k Jaguar I-Pace will still be worth at least $40k as a trade-in, but wouldn't be surprised if it's worth less.
In 3 years, there will at least be the Model 3, the Model Y, the e-tron, the i3, the LEAF, the Bolt, the 500e, the Kona EV, the Soul EV, the Niro EV, the e-Golf, the Rivian, the Rapide E, the EQC, the Mini Electric, the Taycan, the Polestar 2, and who knows what else. If there's anything I'd be worried about dropping in value like a rock, it's pretty much any ICE car on the market today.
post #18 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:45 AM

While these issues suck, and a rare few are having real issues, most of them are just software BS. So I use bluetooth and the car doesn't charge when I want it to. Shrug. It drives absolutely wonderfully, which is the reason I buy cars. Compared to the crap Tesla peeps face on a regular basis, the ipace is fine.
epirali likes this.
post #19 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
While these issues suck, and a rare few are having real issues, most of them are just software BS. So I use bluetooth and the car doesn't charge when I want it to. Shrug. It drives absolutely wonderfully, which is the reason I buy cars. Compared to the crap Tesla peeps face on a regular basis, the ipace is fine.
Guess I'm just used to the very stable, fairly trouble-free and reliable vehicles like my previous Porsche & Mercedes-Benz AMG; can't say the exact same for BMW but maybe they're not as finicky these days (had a 2006 335i which had some electrical issues). I may be slightly different than most as I use my I-Pace or whatever everyday car for my business & family, driving > 20k mi. per year, so I need a vehicle which will be relatively trouble-free; I simply cannot be bringing it in to the shop every few weeks!

And, while I agree the I-Pace fit & finish are excellent/interior materials are high quality and it drives great, it's always the on-going software problems and any mechanical (big or small) that ruin the entire experience, imho (especially when it takes your Jaguar dealer days or weeks to fix the problems)!

2019 Jaguar I-Pace EV400 HSE
Indus Silver w/ Black Pack Ext & Front Fog Lights
Mars Red Windsor Leather Performance Seats w/ Carbon Fiber Trim,
Ebony Suede Headlining & Illuminated Jaguar Treadplates
22" Style 5069 Wheels
Adaptive Dynamics

Last edited by sflgator; 05-15-2019 at 07:55 AM.
post #20 of 102 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 08:42 AM

So far the only significant issue for mine has been an AC mechanical failure. The system leaked out it's freon. First service, they just filled it without finding the leak, so 3 weeks later it I was right back where I started. This time, I hope they really fixed it.

It's been a fun car. While it could use some more power, I still enjoy driving it more than any other street car I've owned so far. Yeah, the software is buggy. But I've been using computers daily since 1975, so software bugs to me are the norm, not the exception. I FJKG HATE MY FJKG IPHONE X with a passion. Buttons on the side where you hold it? Gosh, maybe cars should have buttons on the circumference of the steering wheel. They change the user interface just pizz the users off. Poor file handling, no USB / microSD support in 2019? WTF is it with the nostalgia nonsense, I didn't appreciate the lack of interoperability in my Apple II either.
phil likes this.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page