Recording from the front camera - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By offroadjag

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Recording from the front camera

Has anyone here tried to record from the front facing camera? I like the idea of a dash cam that records video, but I don't really want to clutter the dash. Is there a way to also use an existing from facing camera as a dash cam and record video?

Alternatively, Owlcam looks pretty clean and may not clutter the dash too much. Has anyone tried to install an Owlcam?

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before.
tmillhoff likes this.
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadjag View Post
Has anyone here tried to record from the front facing camera? I like the idea of a dash cam that records video, but I don't really want to clutter the dash. Is there a way to also use an existing from facing camera as a dash cam and record video?

Alternatively, Owlcam looks pretty clean and may not clutter the dash too much. Has anyone tried to install an Owlcam?

Apologies in advance if this has been discussed before.
Most factory installed car cameras do not have an output that you could route to a recording device. In addition, the cameras used for navigation are not necessarily HD or may not provide a wide enough view. So output options aside, you have fidelity issues to consider. I don't think Jaguar cameras have any output option. There is no documentation to validate, so you would have to do a bit of a tear down to check. I really don't recall any manufacturer providing output.

I am not 100% sure, but I also think the front and rear cameras turn off at some point as they are normally triggered by reverse or be clicking on the camera view options for parking assist. It seemed to me that my front camera shuts off once I got over 20 MPH, but then I didn't try to activate it outside of parking. That would be another consideration.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 01:31 PM

A Youtubber had blackvue dash and rear view cams installed in his I-Pace. Pretty unobtrusive from the interior vantage point.

I-Pace FE, Corris Gray, 20" rims
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 02:16 PM

Checked the iGuide and compared in my own car
- Cameras are HD, but may not have the field of view you want. This is subjective
- No documented output options. I've only seen Cadillac offer Dashcam style recording as an option
- Front and Rear camera functions turn off. iGuide says at 10mph, but testing in my car is closer to 20mph. I've turn on the front camera at 14mph.

Looks like third party/after market is the only way to go.
So... there have been others that have installed dash cams with some documentation in this forum and in the UK forum. Squishball posted on above.

Good luck.

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-15-2019, 10:12 PM

I'll recommend the Blackvue DR900S I've installed. I went with front and rear cameras. I've had several dash cams over many years and I like this one the best yet. The only minor downside is that even with a minimal sensitivity setting it detects too many potential events, but that's not a big problem. Accessing the videos is the easiest of any I've had and the quality is as good as I've seen.

I took photos so I can do a install DIY sometime, showing the wiring routing etc... but haven't gotten to it yet.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Checked the iGuide and compared in my own car
- Cameras are HD, but may not have the field of view you want. This is subjective
- No documented output options. I've only seen Cadillac offer Dashcam style recording as an option
- Front and Rear camera functions turn off. iGuide says at 10mph, but testing in my car is closer to 20mph. I've turn on the front camera at 14mph.

Looks like third party/after market is the only way to go.
So... there have been others that have installed dash cams with some documentation in this forum and in the UK forum. Squishball posted on above.

Good luck.
I can say the Cadillac system lacks both the resolution and frame rate to make it a good dashcam. Yes, it will record, but ...
They did not use the Lane Detection cameras, they used the 360° view cameras. The front is down low so it can spot parking bumpers.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.