Homelink range - Page 2 - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksattic View Post
I did some experimentation last night and I can open easily inside the garage (range ~5 feet to the opener) and from 25 feet away. From the point where the car's nose is practically touching the garage door to 25 feet away, nothing. I can live with this, it's just weird.
Were you able to do the same test with a portable remote for the garage? Just trying to eliminate Homelink vs. the car. How was performance with your prior car? Was it via Homelink or a portable remote?

2019 I-Pace EV400 SE
Firenze Red - Ebony/Ebony
Driver Assist Pack
Black Exterior Pack
20" 5 Spoke Style 5068 Gloss Black Wheels
plus a few extras
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 02:05 PM

My 50-75 feet I mentioned earlier is with the heated windshield. I don't think the signal leaves the car through the windshield - if it does, it must be directly in front of the mirror, where there are no wires..
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sbingham60 View Post
Were you able to do the same test with a portable remote for the garage? Just trying to eliminate Homelink vs. the car. How was performance with your prior car? Was it via Homelink or a portable remote?
Yep - the original remote works from a good 35 feet away and works all the way up to the garage door.

My wife drives a 2015 Grand Cherokee and there are no issues with the homelink on that. It was programmed to the same door at one point so I know it had no issues but I since wiped all the codes during troubleshooting.

It's as if the I-PACE sends out the transmission in a narrow beam with a small angle in the vertical.
tmillhoff likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-08-2019, 09:20 AM

I could have written this myself...exactly the same problem.

"I can consistently open my garage (using Homelink) from 50-75 feet away when approaching at a 45deg or even 90deg angle, but have EXTREME difficulty CLOSING the door when I'm backing straight out - even when just 10-20 feet away... there MUST be some directional antenna issues that come into play... I've had to zig and zag up by driveway to engage the Homelink to CLOSE the garage, but NEVER when approaching. Extremely odd and my number one pet peeve about the car (aside from the heated windshield nighttime visibility... still working on solution to that one!). When I had a loaner, I could NOT get my portable GDO to work through the windshield at all... had to hang it out an open window!"

Last edited by nath_h; 05-08-2019 at 09:27 AM. Reason: forgot quote
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:33 PM

For the life of me I cannot get my homelink remote to communicate with my lift master garage door opener ... i’ve tried the Jaguar instructions the LiftMaster instructions & the homelink instructions, but they won’t connect.

Is anyone else having this issue and might anyone have some guidance for me ?
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-09-2019, 02:51 PM

One of ours was working poorly and I attached a thin wire to the antenna end. It worked better then.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmillhoff View Post
For the life of me I cannot get my homelink remote to communicate with my lift master garage door opener ... ive tried the Jaguar instructions the LiftMaster instructions & the homelink instructions, but they wont connect.

Is anyone else having this issue and might anyone have some guidance for me ?
LiftMaster most certainly utilizes the "rolling codes" so you cannot program simply by "copying" the signal from your GDO to the Homelink transmitter. You must engage the 'programming button' on your main unit. Many people just try the method to copy the GDO signal. And again, GDOs will NOT work through the windshield - unless held at the very top just left or right of the rear view mirror console (dotted area of the windshield).

2019 I-Pace 400EV HSE First Edition
Santorini Black/Black Window/Grill Trim
Ebony Leather Sport Seats/Suede Headliner
Fully Extended Leather/Ash Wood Trim
Heads-Up Display/Four-Zone Climate
22" 5069 Carbon Wheels/Rubber Mats x5
Delivered 12/22/18
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-10-2019, 08:34 AM

I have a newish liftmaster and the instructions work. On newer home links I have not had to use the button, it just seems to learn from the remote, but you have to be using the remote to open the door.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:32 PM

Hallelujah! After much experimentation, ksattic's "narrow beam" observation provided the insight I needed to get my old Liftmaster to sync with HomeLink. By backing out to the end of my ~30' sloped driveway and ensuring my IPace was vertically oriented towards the Liftmaster unit then following instructions, I finally got the Lifmaster unit to "learn" my homelink codes following the standard instructions.

Thanks ksattic!
ksattic likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 12:53 PM

Note: Garage door openers are affected by LED lighting radio interference. Try swapping to CFLs if you are having a problem and have LED light bulbs or shoplights.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page