Went to the Tesla dealer today... - Jaguar I-Pace EV400 Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:58 AM Thread Starter

Went to the Tesla dealer today...

Sat in the 3, X, and S. Why do they all have such awful seats?

I got back in the ipace. I felt comfortable. Everything looked much, much nicer. I felt like a special snowflake.

Tesla is a company that mixes so much good with so much bad. It boggles the mind.
Mister Dave likes this.
post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post

I got back in the ipace. I felt comfortable. Everything looked much, much nicer. I felt like a special snowflake.

Tesla is a company that mixes so much good with so much bad. It boggles the mind.
Did you mention that you are an I-Pace owner? Curious what reaction, questions, and/or comparisons they offered? I'm willing to bet Tesla salespeople know more about the I-Pace than most Jaguar salespeople! This thought has made me so curious I might just pay a visit to Tesla dealer myself...
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:

I had the exact same impression after visiting and viewing the Tesla cars. I just couldn't stomach the interiors.
That said, I remain a big supporter of Tesla producing affordable long-range performance EVs at volume . . . somehow just
need to improve that interior space. -- Currently not my cup of tea.
epirali likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtgsrq View Post
Did you mention that you are an I-Pace owner? Curious what reaction, questions, and/or comparisons they offered? I'm willing to bet Tesla salespeople know more about the I-Pace than most Jaguar salespeople! This thought has made me so curious I might just pay a visit to Tesla dealer myself...
I did not mention it to them. They did not notice the bright orange/red car parked in front. I just sat in the cars. They'd say hi, and I'd say hi back. I did not engage.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
My wife has back issues and is highly critical of most car seats. She loves the front seats in our Model 3. To each his own.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 12:37 PM

OPPSS!! You've committed a sin. It is a fashion faux pas by calling a Tesla Dealer a Dealer. You are supposed to call them something else. Showroom? Staging area? Boutique? I'm not sure, but NEVER a Dealer.

And yes, the seats in the Model S (haven't tried the X or M3) are not so good, nor is the ingress or egress. Taller folk will find you nearly stumble out of the back seats. They forgot you use your hands to exit a car.

Jaguar i-Pace FE Photon Red 20" wheels, "Leaper"
Two Chevrolet Volts in service
24.2 kW x 480v 3ph solar array self-installed.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:00 PM

I hate the seats in the Model S loaner and the Model 3 (a friends) I drove had ok seats. But from everyone I've let ride or drive the Model S they all universally disliked the seats, from a little bit to a lot. Like most details that are not attended to in a Tesla this is yet another one of those things that no "luxury" brand would ever get wrong, but Tesla doesn't really seem to care outside of a cursory appearance oriented veneer. It just has to look like its luxury.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:40 PM

I could pass directly in front of a Tesla "boutique" (happy McRat?) and never feel the urge to sit in one. I've seen too much in photos and video. Opinions are subjective. Seat fit is personal. Quality issues can and have been documented.

That's not to say all other cars are way better. The two I have are way better but stuff slips through the cracks with any car maker. However, I don't have to drive tens or hundreds of miles to a repair place and wait weeks or sometimes months for a repair. Don't send a concierge to my house. I don't trust that kind of work and it won't be done on my property.

But for those who do try it, experience is your best gauge I guess. I only have time for so many experiences. I have to budget. Frankly, I'd rather do jury duty.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:33 PM

Seats

Quote:
Originally Posted by epirali View Post
I hate the seats in the Model S loaner and the Model 3 (a friends) I drove had ok seats. But from everyone I've let ride or drive the Model S they all universally disliked the seats, from a little bit to a lot. Like most details that are not attended to in a Tesla this is yet another one of those things that no "luxury" brand would ever get wrong, but Tesla doesn't really seem to care outside of a cursory appearance oriented veneer. It just has to look like its luxury.
We have a Model S and if we spend any significant time in it our backs are wracked with pain. We had to buy back supports which help a little. This is our second Model S. the first one from 2013 had ok seats but our current 2016 one has much worse seats. Interiors are definitely lacking comfort and refinement in Teslas. We put up with that because Tesla had no competition, but now our lease will soon end and I am looking for my next EV to not be a Tesla. I am here doing my due diligence on the I-pace and so far I like what I am learning. I can't wait to experience a comfortable, well-appointed interior we have been missing in the Teslas.
epirali likes this.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 08:53 PM

Definitely try all three seat types on I Pace when you test drive. The base and sport seats are both very comfortable, but I found for my guilt they pushed me forward at my shoulders. Ironically the performance seats, which are the least “cushy” fit me and friend much better. But all the seats are vastly better than any Tesla.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page